Why are the state sports tournament series so successful?

tonx

There is an ongoing debate as to what will increase entries to national tournaments. Instead of trying to come up with new concepts, is it possible to look at exactly what is working at the moment, and perhaps look to impliment things from these events.

Jase, Cow, Dillan and Matty all seem to run massively successful Sports series in each individual state. They run with great support from all levels of bowlers from juniors right up to the fringe and top level. Some of these events even get more entries than national tournaments offering up to 5 times the prize fund.

My question to the forum, is why? What is it about the state scene that interests you, the bowler.

Is it the lower entry fees encouraging a competitive environment?

Is it the tougher conditions designed to challenge your ability as a bowler, really showing you where you are at in your game?

Is it the fact that the payouts ratios are good. That the winner doesn't get 10 times the entry fee and that if you cash, usually you at least get your entry back?

Is it the shorter 1 day formats that work for you?

Is the reason in Queensland because Jase Pearson is perhaps the most attractive man in Australia?

What do these guys do so well, that the national tournaments don't? Is the solution already here, it's just not being used?

Kung Hei Fat Choi!

There is an ongoing debate as to what will increase entries to national tournaments. Instead of trying to come up with new concepts, is it possible to look at exactly what is working at the moment, and perhaps look to impliment things from these events.
Jase, Cow, Dillan and Matty all seem to run massively successful Sports series in each individual state. They run with great support from all levels of bowlers from juniors right up to the fringe and top level. Some of these events even get more entries than national tournaments offering up to 5 times the prize fund.
My question to the forum, is why? What is it about the state scene that interests you, the bowler.
Is it the tougher conditions designed to challenge your ability as a bowler, really showing you where you are at in your game?
Is it the fact that the payouts ratios are good. That the winner doesn't get 10 times the entry fee and that if you cash, usually you at least get your entry back?
Is the reason in Queensland because Jase Pearson is perhaps the most attractive man in Australia?
What do these guys do so well, that the national tournaments don't? Is the solution already here, it's just not being used?
Kung Hei Fat Choi!
that will do me tonx.
I had a fair bit of respect for your judgement until now.
You need to throw a couple of vigaras in your eyes and have a good hard look at yourself.

I've only bowled a couple of the sports series tournaments (mostly because I know Jase is gonna be bowling and that puts me off :p ) but ive enjoyed them because they are a cheaper alternative to going interstate and bowling ranked events.

I guess if and when i start cutting or god forbid finish near the top of one of those then I'll look at bowling interstate events.

I guess i look at the sport series as a stepping stone event.

Kung Hei Fat Choi!
Would you like some shark fin soup with that?? :D:D

With SA starting their sport series this month, let's hope it's just as successful as the rest of the country.

Personally, I like the shortened one day format, also the cheaper entry fee for a better payout.

I can't see a 'negative' to the sport series, and you'll learn so much more about your game and hopefully increase your chances of cutting in a major national tournament.

Personally I like the challenge, I get to bowl against some of the greats of the game, the cost is reasonable and above all I have a good time.

I like the one day format, the cheap entry fees, the shorter distance to travel (less than 2 hours driving time), playing against different bowlers usually with higher averages and a good and fair payout. The challenge of playing on the tough conditions and bowling head to head, (3 man match play), beating one person in this format has a good feeling.

Also knowing that when I travel to these tournaments, I haven't wasted my entry fee or travel costs because I know I'm going to have a good time bowling against some of the state's best bowlers.

Kung Hei Fat Choi!

My reasons:

All of the Above

Bowling in the state series is fantastic for me as it truly does show me where i am at in my game.

I enjoy bowling with everyone who has a go at the events, its competitive, the payouts are good, entry is cheap, and the one day format is alot more to my liking.

I think it is safe to say that the sport bowling revolution is here, and its here to stay!!

entry fee is one big thing, the first spot series i went into late december, i learnt more then all the tba youth tournaments i went into, so experience is another

As someone who is currently stranded in Perth, I like the Sports Series because it's basically the only opportunity we have to bowl competitively in Western Australia. When I was a kid, I remember going along to watch Mike Muir take on the interstate invaders in the WA Open, Perth Cup, Rosemount Cup, Craigie Cup etc... We actually have no tournaments at all over here now, aside from the prerequisite TBA things and last year there was a 'Cashed up cup' thing at Cannington. So that's why I like the Sports Series. As for bowling in any of the interstate events, airfares $450 (to most places) accommodation $300 entry fee $300ish, transport $100... With usual size of the prize pool in the womens division, I'd have to win to break even- I'm not going to win because I have very little tournament experience due to the fact that we have no tournaments over here. I bowled Rachuig last year which convinced me that big tournament bowling is something I'd really like to do more of, but the cost of participating from this side of the country is a prohibitive factor.

So I like the sport series because hopefully it's the first step toward reviving competitive bowling over here.

I agree with with many of the reasons above;

- Value for money
- Challenging conditions from normal House Shot
- An opportunity to bowl with better bowlers
- A good stepping stone to ranked tournaments

The last Sport Series in Victoria also had an added incentive; the chance to get your mug on TV if you made the final...

Cheers,

Shane.

P.S Happy New Year to you too Tonx :drunk:

the main reason for me ,it teachs you the art of accurate board shooting rather than just hitting an area ,and hoping to carry corner pins.what im trying to say is ,it gives old farts and and fags like Wenban and Stewart a chance to win again(lol)
Love ya boys ,
keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom