What is the Greatest Bowling Feat You've Ever Witnessed?

2003 Asian Schools - being there when the girls won the gold in the teams event for the first time. Being equal with Malaysia going into the last game, holding our nerve and coming out on top was a fantastic experience, one i'll never forget.

Watching Tasmania win the Boys division in the 1990 President Shield at Moonah was very exiting to watch.

Watching them do it in 2002 (Bankstown) was very exciting as well, even from a non-Tasmania perspective.

I like the Merv Hughes one also.

But for me it was watching Cara win the Womens Adelaide Cup and the rest of the field fighting for first place in the amateur division. Just awesome.

And the final of the Elizabeth Open a few years back between Bill Johnson and Bruno Maglieri - 280 to 279. Who won? - that's not important, what a sensational match.

For me there is to many to mention.

My son making his first East Coast team. My daughter making her first presidients shield team. Watching the Vic boys winning East coast from a near impossible position at Penrith 2002. Watching Vic girls winning pres shield at Forrest hills. Admiring all those talented players who reach deep into the game to bring out that important strike that gets there team over the line whether it be at league on a friday night or Asian schools at Mooroolbark in 2002 or was it 3 cant remember. Admiring Cara for winning a world cup from 5th place in 1996. What a performance. Or throwing a 300 in her first TV appearance in the states. Reglueing her insert after the 10th and calmly throwing the next 2 to win $50000 us. Nice payday that was. Or standing at the back of the lanes watching a 7 yr old throw his first real strike without the aid of bumpers.

People ask me why i bowl. I think i just explained it to myself lol

Phil

my main 2

watching ANDREW DREW
Perth Cup 89
shoot 800+ in his first 3 games in stepladder, cant remember all games but last of the 3 was 290, received a standing ovation from approx 400people MAYBE 500 in the centre,THOSE WERE THE DAYS WHEN YOU GOT CROWDS, nowadays lucky to get the bowlers who bowled in the qualifying back to watch the final
he then went on to lose to Brian Bridges, however still received a spot into the BRUNSWICK WORLD MEMORIAL in Chicago(as did Brian for winning event) sponsored by, back then Keridge Odeon, Brenton Barrett
that was my first 800 to witness, something awesome, 5ft nothing Drewball, whizzing a glassed Wine Udot
the other

watching a 15yr old Bahraini Called Sami
another whiz kid shot 830 last 3 games of qualifying to make the cut, went 9/9/off sheet - 279 / 300 / front 9 greek church 30 in a row
15years old
and maybe 100 ARABS Chanting something else he then went on to finish 2nd in the tourney(BAHRAIN OPEN) lost to the great Mohammed Kubaisi

oh and i took out the back row once on the first shot leaving behind 1-2-3-4-5-6
different
lmao

Well for me it has to be the first three games of the 2002 AMF World Cup in Latvia when I was lucky enough to witness Paul Trotter's 896 series, the first 23 shots he threw for the tournament were strkes for a fabulous
300-298-298. It doesn't get much better than that!! :p

watching ANDREW DREW
Perth Cup 89
shoot 800+ in his first 3 games in stepladder, cant remember all games but last of the 3 was 290, received a standing ovation from approx 400people MAYBE 500 in the centre,THOSE WERE THE DAYS WHEN YOU GOT CROWDS, nowadays lucky to get the bowlers who bowled in the qualifying back to watch the final

You just brought back another great memory Scoops for me, it wasn't a particular feat as such, but talking of the enormous crowds tournament bowling got in this country.
It was the opening night of the 1989 Hobart City Championships, all the big names of Hobart bowling were bowling this night.
Geoff Vince was the centre manager at the time and he was always keen to maintain a high standard of professionalism within the centre, the place was immaculate.
It was a sunny late afternoon/early evening and the crowds were pouring into the bowl, us juniors were crammed in there talking about the good bowlers and how we reckoned they'd fare this night.
The music was blaring out over the PA to the strains of 'The Heat Is On', 'Danger Zone', 'The Eye Of The Tiger' and so on, as each of the bowlers would make their way into the bowl, one of us would take note "There's Phil Wilcox, shot 640 in Sponsors League the other night, we'll watch 'im", "There's Rod Radcliffe, a 300-shooter at Rachuig, TV-finallist at the Cup a few years back, he's worth watching" or "There's Danny Corbett he's a champion we'll have to keep an eye on" and "Coleman's just stepped in" and we'd all look - his record spoke for itself - all the bowlers were stars, even the ordinary league bowlers who had some sort of legendary staus would come under close attention.

The 24x5 man/woman teams from the two centres in Hobart in those days were assembled that night, and all had to walk down behind the machines and march out to their particular songs.
One team was the peculiarly dressed Bruny Island Duck Pluckers, their uniform consisted of black trousers, pink shirts, black Blues Brothers type shades and black felt hats with pink hat-bands :lol:
The Glenorchy City Mayor would open the Championships and was invited to roll the first ball of the tournament, he and his wife had special seats to watch the action from.
Joe and Joan Bowler was played complete robe & sceptor, then thread the needle.
Jason Commane allegedly turned to his team-mates and said "Thread it? I'll spare the f*cker!!" And he spared the 4-6-7-10 :lol:
That brought the house down.
The place was more packed than I've ever seen it in memory, the crowd was massive that night, the view was much better because only weeks before, the cafe at Moonah had removed the large blackwood pylons that ran right around the outside of the cafe from the tops of the counter to the ceiling.
The crowd was packed right to the back wall, from behind lane 3 all the way along to deep inside the cafe itself, it was a struggle to even get in or out of the doors.
I watched Wayne 'Lefty' Glover shooting 691/3 on 19-20, leaving the cold-9 on the first ball in the 10th and missing it to miss out on the 700 using a Black Hammer shooting 5-board.

It's a real shame it isn't like that anymore.

jason_doust said:
Wow... that's bowling!
Yeah it was incredible. It remained the only 800 shot at Moonah for about 42 years until Ray Tilla broke it last year with 816, and then Adam Johnson broke it a few months ago with 809.
Ironically, Green shot 763 in the same week with that Dynamite also, even was coming 2nd after the first day in the MTC or World Cup Qualifiers (it was either one of those) in Melbourne with the same ball.
Make no mistake, this guy could seriously bowl, he just had major issues outside of bowling that made life quite difficult and a chronic lack of coin was also a barrier.

I spared the 7/10 once to win a game.. That was kinda cool
As an individual getting a double in the tenth frame to win a tournament was probably the best buzz... Its what we all practice for and dream about...
But by far the best feeling was in Israel in 2005 at the Maccabiah games when Australia won the gold medal in the teams event... After the bridge collapse in 1997 and the memorial services in the days prior to the 2005 event there was alot of pressure and emotion, after about eight hours in nearly 40 degree heat (the bowl didnt believe in A/C) we emerged victorious by two pins!! They didnt play the national anthem when we received our gold medals the next day so in true Aussie style we stayed there and sung it!!!
I dont think anything beats winning for your state or country!!

Lots of great stories - Keep 'em coming. Here's the greatest feat of bowling I've ever seen. Done, I should add, on an extremely tough PBA shot.

At the 1992 Touring Players Championship held at Woodland Bowl, Indianapolis, I saw Norm Duke average 244/6 off the sixth arrow with a urethane ball. He had to loft the ball 10ft to clear the left hand gutter while using soft speed. I saw him throw two in the left gutter when he didn't get enough air!

Impressive enough until you consider this was on timber lanes (Guardian for 18 ft, then Astrolane) with 44ft of hand sprayed oil! And he needed a big block of games, so he was under the whip too!

That's bowling! Respect.

I spared the 7/10 once to win a game.. That was kinda cool
As an individual getting a double in the tenth frame to win a tournament was probably the best buzz... Its what we all practice for and dream about...
But by far the best feeling was in Israel in 2005 at the Maccabiah games when Australia won the gold medal in the teams event... After the bridge collapse in 1997 and the memorial services in the days prior to the 2005 event there was alot of pressure and emotion, after about eight hours in nearly 40 degree heat (the bowl didnt believe in A/C) we emerged victorious by two pins!! They didnt play the national anthem when we received our gold medals the next day so in true Aussie style we stayed there and sung it!!!
I dont think anything beats winning for your state or country!!

funny how bowlin at top ryde seems to prove so hard for the same guys who bowled in that team.... sorry mate had to have a dig

The Nationals at Woodville Bowl in what could've been the late 70s, following Kevin Harding's 300 three days prior, little Peter Pengelly equaled this feat with a 300 of his own and it was wonderful to watch him throw that 12th strike.

If I had witnessed Tony Hamiltons back to back 300s I would be posting about that.

Greetings from Louisiana, in the good ole USA. I recently watched a league mate on the adjoing lanes roll a great 877 series. He had 27 straight strike to start the evening, he left 3 pins and spared, then struck out.
877series

Well for me it has to be the first three games of the 2002 AMF World Cup in Latvia when I was lucky enough to witness Paul Trotter's 896 series, the first 23 shots he threw for the tournament were strkes for a fabulous
300-298-298. It doesn't get much better than that!! :p

I would have to agree here, some fine Aussie talent:)

One out of left field here, 2000 Warnambool Cup, lotsa oil and next to no free hook, guys like Flynn,Bradford,Ryan,Parella,Totter and Maglieri couldnt average 200 in matchplay, one guy could and that was Andrew Thorpe averaging 221 on a condition that no-one could average more than 199 on. Wasnt using an 'oil monster' either, he was ripping a Storm Eraser from coast to coast, i couldnt get mine to move at all!!! His ball roll was creating area that no-one could come close to matching.

I remember in the late 1970s when I was travelling home from the Melbourne Cup with the great Joe Velo (he had the trouphy in his hands of course).
When I asked him why he looked so down he replied that "later that week he was scheduled to have a heart bye pass operation and was a little worried."
Joe had the sugery (in those days it was a big deal that's for sure). Just twelve weeks later he was back on the lanes winning the Canberra Cup using a fourteen pound ball due to the damage to his chest muscles.
That was just about the most courageous effort I have seen in over forty years of watching Aussie bowling!
Wal Brooker

this is probably not the greatest feat, but this is the most memorable one for me! 2006 Rachuig Trials.. I was 12 or 13 pins down with a game to go.. and had been struggling for most of the day, i thought i was out of it.. as i proceeded, on the 9th frame i left a 6-9-10 split..spared it and had to chance clinch my spot in the team only needing a mark on the last...I left it opened..;)

Simon Gourlay, a well respected bowler in tassie and a really funny fella i tell ya, had to throw 2 strikes to beat me, the first one was Flush..2nd ball went bit high and he left a 6-10.. i got in!:p

BUT!! the moment that will always remind me of that day was when Simon came up to me after he threw his last shot, he shook my hand and said that i bowled well, well done!.. Just showed what a great competitor he really is!

Another one,

Ashley Riley bowling a 299 game on the second last game to win the Launceston MAsters, jsut a couple of months ago... great stuff that one.. was great to watch!

theres many more... haha i'll think of them aight! peace

Chris x

Bowling next to Derek Adams at nerang bowl. When he shot the first back 2 back 300s ever in Australia.By a junior or senior at 16 yrs of age.

Back
Top Bottom