What is it like?

Bigsy

Bigsalis
Hey guys,

Having not bowled on synthetic lanes myself, I was wondering if they have a different "feel" to bowling on wooden lanes.

Does your mentality change at all, or do you become more / less confident.

Just wondering what your thoughts were.

Bigsy !!!

Bigsy, the Lanes themselves are not a problem to Bowl on, you will only notice a different sound when the Ball hits the Lane.

But if there are Synthetic Approaches also, than that's a whole other Story, these things are Knee destroyers.

jmo
willey

Bigsy, I normally bowl on wood lanes.

Going to a Synthetic Centre I find it more menataly hard to adjust than anything. The sound the look is all seems so wrong.

Actually Bigsy ive got some experience re Melton and the synthetic houses in Melbourne at the time(nameley the dearly departed Mooroolbark, Sunshine and Highpoint)

I got a lot more confident at the time because i had more room, more oil, wellll..... more everything i guess. It was a few yr ago and i hardly see a wood lane these days(Caboolture maybe in a few weeks!!) but when you first make the change its kinda like a snowball rolling down a hill.

I have found bowling on Synthetic lanes it is more difficult to see the roll on your ball going down the lane and therefore harder to adjust.
The ball seems to just skid-hook rather than skid-roll-hook like wooden lanes.
The approaches can be a nightmare as well.

Just my 5 cents worth biggsy, not me but my son was brought up on wood but seems to love synthetic lanes. I wont say it is the same in all centres but the boy as an example shot 1948 for his all events at the NQ juniors at Kirwan late last year and his comment was the shot was the same over four separate pairs.

Hey Biggsy, the synthetic lanes I bowl on over here are great once I got used to them. The thing you might want to think about is that wood lanes are softer than synthetics, so you may want to slow your ball speed down, and move right a bit. One thing about them is that they are uniform, and do a pretty good job of holding oil. Once you get used to them you'll probably love um. As far as the approach goes, if you have interchangeable soles you should do fine, just change to a higher # as the humidity goes up. One moor thing about synthetics is, it gives you a reason to buy moor aggressive equipment. If the wife asks why the new ball?, you can tell her you need it to grip lanes so you can remain competitive. Good luck

Hey Biggsy,

Synthetics are smoother and harder than wood, so the ball travels faster in the oil and often snaps off the dry as a result of the pent-up rotation. The faster ball speed you get on a synthetic surface at the pins can cause more corner pins, so you sometimes have to rethink your starting position and ball surface to accommodate this.

The "bang" as the ball lands on them is disconcerting at first. You'll tune it out or start laying the ball down earlier soon enough.

Synthetic houses tend to lay easier patterns, as hard patterns play really hard on them, to the point of being just plain unpleasant, so it's by no means something to be worried about. It's just different.

A few people have mentioned approaches. As the surface is smoother, they can stick or slip more than wood, especially if the humidity is getting beyond what the a/c can cope with. Just test them out across the approach before they switch 'em on and you'll be fine as you'll know what to expect.

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom