What does a tournament need to recieve your support?

jessica

Hey everyone.

I am interested in what your needs from a tournament are.
I am asking because we have recently called off the Northern N.S.W. Open, which James McGinty goes to so much effort in hosting every year, usually without making a profit. It is a tournament run for the bowlers, by bowlers.
In previous years, we have had the participants decide on the format qualifying and finals will be held in. We do our best to include our patrons in the decisions of how the event will be run.
We contact local businesses to get donations for beverages (Coca Cola) and discounts for accomodation.
We donate prize money out of our own takings.

So I am wondering, what else does everyone look for in a tournament that Northern N.S.W. Open is apparently lacking?
Please keep in mind, we completely understand that it is a distance to travel, but that hasn't stopped people in the past from making the trip up here...
Also, do we give enough notice for our tournament? We feel that this year we may have left our advertising a little late. Would you prefer to know that dates at the start of the coming year?

Thanks for your input.

I feel your pain.

Alot of people are asking themselves that very same question.

This weekend there was a teams tournament held at Aspley in Qld with an offered first of 1500 (between 2 or 3 ppl) and we only had 10 teams enter.

I guess that it was either a financial ($450/team) or timing (11am start 60 games) issue, but was very disappointed in the response with many teams pulling out at the last minute.

I couldn’t make it this year due to me moving to Adelaide otherwise I would of had my name down!
James puts in so much effort to run this tournament for bowlers (a bloody awesome tournament may I add) and people don’t support it?? It was very sad to see that James had to cancel the event.
I bowled it last year and it was one of the best tournaments i had bowled in. Like you Jess I’m a bit puzzled as to why this event didn’t get numbers this year.
I don’t know what MORE James could do, as said before he rings local business’s to get discounts on Accommodation, gets sponsors, asks what the bowlers would like the finals format to be AND donates prize money out of your own takings. To be honest I don’t know what more James can do. I think he does a fantastic job!!
As you said Jess maybe get the dates out earlier in the year, might give the bowlers more time to plan for the weekend, but yeah I think James does enough for this event and it’s a shame to see that people don’t support it.

The only thing I can think of is nsw open the week before it I know I wanted to bowl both but money was stopping me doing it but next year I be there for sure cause James does run great tournaments and does put in a lot of effort

Hi Jess,
I think notification of dates earlier & not near a ranked event - now TBA has cut the number of events this should be possible. I would have been there this year but my brother's wedding was on the same date so I wasn't able to bowl.

Entry forms are coming out way to late. In addition a lot of people are relying on this site to get the information out there. Do it properly and send hard copies as well. If your lazy or your numbers will reflect it !!!

i know what you are meaning, i asked the same questions when i ran Newcastle Cup this year, had a draft entry form out to give bowlers at orange for there tournament, and i got a lot of positive feedback, and seemed a lot of interest,but when it came to the crunch, i got only a handful, of outer towners, i even put a question thread on here to find out what bowlers likes and dislikes where but go nothing, i also had another tournament on the sunday, and that bowls manager knew well before there event was even advertised.

i think, if TBA continue with the ranking system, they will need to look at helping the non major event holders, i think we should have 2 tiers of rankings,

using nsw for example;

major tourns - full ranking points
nsw open
australia cup
spc*
aust nationals - when we have it.

minor tourns - half ranking points
nnsw open
orange open
newcastle cup
nsw state masters
mic comarda

i think this way, we will get more bowlers, also if state boards are lookig at training squads for state teams, tournament, will be a requirement to make the team

i would bowlers, would say honestly why the cant attend, as we will never hold it against them, but it will be brought up again at the end of the year, "bowlers" ***** there is not enough tournaments in australia, but yet the are the ones who never attend or always put there name down and either pullout at the last minute or never show.

Back
Top Bottom