What do you do?

Best thing to do is to go right back to the basics. Work on your fundamentals, once you have them down, your confidence should start to return.

take a short drive to seperation st :p

Funny you mention that... I get a better read on the lanes at Belmont but the carry is better at Nth. I think it's more me defeating myself than the lanes defeating me. I'm getting the ball in the right spot but something is amiss. So I think it is back to basics and see where we end up.

I actually do the complete opposite..... I go to something completely different (left handed, two handed, two fingered); after 3/4 frames like that I go back to my normal; go nice and slow; then speed back up to full pace... Find it clears the bug thats annoying my timing, release, eye etc etc.. Works for me; might not work for you; why not give it a try??

Relax and don't stress, that would be the first thing I would recommend.

I bowl to enjoy it, good scores are a bonus. But if I leave a frame open, I let it go and start again with the next frame.

Big thing don't stress. If you are flat out not enjoying the sport. Walk away for a few weeks and come back after a break.

To overcome a lack of confidence I go back to basics and practice more. Drop any preconceived notions of what you think you should be scoring, or others, and start again from scratch then build up to bowling what you think you should be. Don't concentrate on the negative but try to find the basics and like John said enjoy the game, it is only a game.
Your confidence will return when you don't force it, have faith in your own ability.

chin up big guy :) you always have a shoulder to lean on :) but you may wanna hurry because im always on someones :)

Going through the same thing at the moment. It used to come pretty easily to me but I took a year away from the game in 2009. Ever since I've bowled way below my previous ability and expectations. Don't know what to do at the moment, can't seem to do anything. Throwing 200 now is a major feat whereas I used to average higher than that.

It's actually quite embarrassing.

Embarrassing?

See thats where i have a problem with our 'sport'.

Sport ( especially at the level most of us play) should never be embarrassing unless you are one of the Speed Skaters that stacked it infront of Steven Bradbury - that was embarrassing.

Its ok to go through slumps, we have all done it regardless of what our best is. Its ok to be dissapointed in your own efforts if you feel you arent achieving what you set out to but to be embarrased is being a bit harsh on yourself.

To Mickyd213, if you have time to practise, ask yourself what part of your game you feel is letting you down the most. Is it your release, your accuracy, balance at the foul line or even your speed? Isolate what the biggest problem is and then go down and waste some games on fixing that alone. I had a few weeks where i was missing 10 pins and costing me games, i went down one day and paid for an hour and threw at 10 pins spares for the full hour. Sure i still miss them every now and then but i now know if i get to the foul line where i want to be and hit my target with a solid follow through i will spare them.

Once you have improved your biggest issue then work on the next one, remembering to go back to your original one every so often to keep on top of it.

Good Luck.

Iif you have time to practise, ask yourself what part of your game you feel is letting you down the most. Is it your release, your accuracy, balance at the foul line or even your speed? Isolate what the biggest problem is and then go down and waste some games on fixing that alone.
Good Luck.

I try and make time at least once a week for practice where I'm on the lanes for around 2-2.5hrs shooting at single pins and target shooting for accuracy. Sparing at the moment is what is keeping me around the mid 180's to 190's but it''s the lack of carry. It has never bothered me before but for some reason it has now affected my confidence. I've always maintained that once the ball has left your hand you have no control over what you leave and you just deal with whats left... Just keep hitting your target and the carry will come. But once again thanks for your advise and I'll keep working at it until it's sorted...
Going through the same thing at the moment. It used to come pretty easily to me but I took a year away from the game in 2009. Ever since I've bowled way below my previous ability and expectations. Don't know what to do at the moment, can't seem to do anything. Throwing 200 now is a major feat whereas I used to average higher than that.

I'm really struggling to get a run on with strikes... I seem to wrap a back row pin after a strike, getting a double seems to be a major feat at the moment but I feel like I'm not doing much wrong. All I can do is keep working at it during the practice sessions and in the end it should sort itself out...

Walk away for a few minutes and come back. I bowl bad and start to lose confidence when I go too fast. Either with ball speed and rev rate or on the approach.

Back
Top Bottom