WESTERN SUPERLEAGUE RESULTS

Werribee

Werribee
HI EVERY ONE,

So many have said that they are awaiting the results of scores bowled before they make a commitment to the Western Superleague.

Last night we had some amazing bowling! In the third game David Porto, Frank Ryan and Doug Bear (same team) all opened with 5 strikes... by the 8th frame Frank and Doug were still going strong.
In the 11th frame Doug got an 8, and finished for 288.
Frank got down to the last frame and left one pin standing for a 299!
(you'll have to forgive me terminology, I'm not a real bowler yet)

The next season of Western Superleague starts in about 10 weeks and we have a couple of team vacancies at this stage, AND we will still have $12,000 (12 teams with a 14 week season) to give away if we fill it.

Thanks all,

Edi

icon_biggrin.gif

Edi,

Suggestion time ....

Im thinking of joining that league next season, however, I think I speak for all bowlers when I make the following suggestion.

At the moment, 3 centres in victoria have a kegel. It seems to be "Have kegel, will score". I agree that kegel brings in the bowlers, mooroolbark and mentone can agree with that comment.

However, you have created a superleague. Big money at stake, with good bowlers already bowling in it. Word spreads quickly, and Im already hearing stories of how easy it is to score there.

Yes, I like big scores too. But there is a stage where big scores become damaging to bowlers when they go to tournaments and suddenly find there isnt a 10 board area they can hit to get to the pocket.

The kegel can lay hard conditions. I dont mean hard like PBA hard, I mean a challenging condition where people of all shots can score, providing they can be accurate. Especially since a lot of money is at stake, I think it would be wise to lay alternative patterns for the entire season. The season is 14 weeks, so why not set up 7 patterns, and rotate them randomly between the 14 weeks. I would DEFINATELY guarantee that I would bowl if something like this was organised, its a challenge, and dont get to see many stuff like that happen in this state.

Dont get me wrong, you are doing a wonderful job down there. The junior development squad is picking up, you got a kegel to improve the lane conditions, and you are always going out of your way to help bowlers progress. Im just saying it would be better than werribee doesnt turn into another kegel ditch centre, and this is one suggestion that could possibly make your superleague entice more bowlers.

Anyone with comments towards this?

milkman, you like many, are banging your head against a brick wall.

i agree fully, but while people have ego's, this attitude will never change.

as a tech i dread the day my manager comes and tells me i have to knock the pins over with a stick, just so people can score even better.

precedence is something that can be fruitful or damaging, and the sport is currently heading in the wrong direction. It all started when reactive balls came out, and gave everyone the opportunity to throw strikes and now everyone just thinks they have the right to bowl them.

good luck with your campaign

Craig,

I have respect for Edi, which is why it wasnt a whinge, but a suggestion. Werribee bowl is an old bowl, and had quite a few problems with lane conditions (yes, Werribee Cup and Rachuig trials were a prime example).

In most centres, managers/owners wouldnt go out and buy a $35K+ oiling machine to combat this problem. Werribee bowl has, and they are to be commended. Kegel is the leading edge of the sporting technology when it comes to lane conditions, so why not jump on the bandwagon.

There is a difference between jumping on the band wagon, and abusing the privledges of having it. I am all for setting up scoring conditions for the less experienced bowlers. High scores = more people bowling, its a proven fact. But the superleague is not your average jo blow league, hence the suggestion of a challenge.

HI EVERY ONE,

So many have said that they are awaiting the results of scores bowled before they make a commitment to the Western Superleague.

Last night we had some amazing bowling! In the third game David Porto, Frank Ryan and Doug Bear (same team) all opened with 5 strikes... by the 8th frame Frank and Doug were still going strong.
In the 11th frame Doug got an 8, and finished for 288.
Frank got down to the last frame and left one pin standing for a 299!
(you'll have to forgive me terminology, I'm not a real bowler yet)

The next season of Western Superleague starts in about 10 weeks and we have a couple of team vacancies at this stage, AND we will still have $12,000 (12 teams with a 14 week season) to give away if we fill it.

Thanks all,

Edi

icon_biggrin.gif

Edi,

Suggestion time ....

Im thinking of joining that league next season, however, I think I speak for all bowlers when I make the following suggestion.

At the moment, 3 centres in victoria have a kegel. It seems to be "Have kegel, will score". I agree that kegel brings in the bowlers, mooroolbark and mentone can agree with that comment.

However, you have created a superleague. Big money at stake, with good bowlers already bowling in it. Word spreads quickly, and Im already hearing stories of how easy it is to score there.

Yes, I like big scores too. But there is a stage where big scores become damaging to bowlers when they go to tournaments and suddenly find there isnt a 10 board area they can hit to get to the pocket.

The kegel can lay hard conditions. I dont mean hard like PBA hard, I mean a challenging condition where people of all shots can score, providing they can be accurate. Especially since a lot of money is at stake, I think it would be wise to lay alternative patterns for the entire season. The season is 14 weeks, so why not set up 7 patterns, and rotate them randomly between the 14 weeks. I would DEFINATELY guarantee that I would bowl if something like this was organised, its a challenge, and dont get to see many stuff like that happen in this state.

Dont get me wrong, you are doing a wonderful job down there. The junior development squad is picking up, you got a kegel to improve the lane conditions, and you are always going out of your way to help bowlers progress. Im just saying it would be better than werribee doesnt turn into another kegel ditch centre, and this is one suggestion that could possibly make your superleague entice more bowlers.

Anyone with comments towards this?

Hi Milkie,

Your comment ""I am all for setting up scoring for the less expienced bowlers""

This is not the way to help our sport.

Showing less experienced bowlers spare shooting systems and how to adjust is more beneficial. Bowling big games and having a high average when you dont know why does not help these bowlers, especially when they decide to bowl a tournament or a second league at a different bowl.

I just wonder if you or I, or any other high average bowler would be where we are with our bowling now if when we were starting out we had easy non thinking lane conditions to bowl on?

I do like your idea of several challenging lane conditions throughout a season but I do not think that this would attract all that many more bowlers though.

Rig

Cameron's idea is currently being used in the USA and it is called Sport Bowling System. They have a 2-1 oiling pattern requirement (eg: 30units in the middle 15 on the outside) and the condition changes on a weekly basis. If the reports are correct, it is actually becoming extremely popular and is a very exciting concept over there. (Cameron I can source some info for you if you like).

Cameron, I don't think you are alone in your thoughts and I urge you to come to the next reformation meeting and put up the suggestion. We didn't buy this technology to put the same thing down each day, let's use it.

As far as scores becoming better here, well the first week we had a significant jump in scores, but the last 2 weeks it has probably not been a hell of a lot different (except for last Tuesday), and I'm told you don't have to work as hard for your score (we all know what a sweat it was at Werribee).

We work with our bowlers and constantly take on board comments we get. I have invited a number of people to come down one day (weekdays are better) and muck around with patterns (Cameron I'd appreciate your contribution to that also). The problem is that you can't just cater for one person's style.

If the Kegel didn't improve things I'd be asking for my $48K back and using a $1.99 spray bottle with Olive Oil (not really)! We are currently working with the Kegel USA technicians to improve the finer points (huge back end....no I don't mean my arse) in overcoming future problems and getting it as close to perfect as possible.

It's great to get feedback.

Thanks All,

Edi

milkman, you like many, are banging your head against a brick wall.

i agree fully, but while people have ego's, this attitude will never change.

as a tech i dread the day my manager comes and tells me i have to knock the pins over with a stick, just so people can score even better.

precedence is something that can be fruitful or damaging, and the sport is currently heading in the wrong direction. It all started when reactive balls came out, and gave everyone the opportunity to throw strikes and now everyone just thinks they have the right to bowl them.

good luck with your campaign

Craig,

I have respect for Edi, which is why it wasnt a whinge, but a suggestion. Werribee bowl is an old bowl, and had quite a few problems with lane conditions (yes, Werribee Cup and Rachuig trials were a prime example).

In most centres, managers/owners wouldnt go out and buy a $35K+ oiling machine to combat this problem. Werribee bowl has, and they are to be commended. Kegel is the leading edge of the sporting technology when it comes to lane conditions, so why not jump on the bandwagon.

There is a difference between jumping on the band wagon, and abusing the privledges of having it. I am all for setting up scoring conditions for the less experienced bowlers. High scores = more people bowling, its a proven fact. But the superleague is not your average jo blow league, hence the suggestion of a challenge.

Rig,

There is a time for coaching, and there is a time for making money.

When you are running a 24 lane centre, and you have people that want to come once week, to bowl league, setting up a more "easier" condition would be a better COMMERICAL decision.

If you are talking about lesser experienced bowlers who strive to be better at the sport, then I do agree with your comments. But purely from a commerical point of view, a centre will make more money having a condition where anyone can hit the head pin.

As a bowler in the Super League, i am pleased that both Edi and the hea tech have been in consiltation with us both weeks since the Kegal was purchased.
They are open to any suggestions on how to make this one of the biggest leagues in Victoria, so any help is appreciated.
There's a couple of issues to iron out but i its deffinately moving ahead well.

i think Cam's idea is great, but i think seven conditions may be a tad too many.
Four of five should be enough.

Just like to say well done to werribee bowl, on this!, its good to see a bowling center actually working with the bowlers to try and make something happen...unlike AMF who are just after the money!...and dont really care about league bowlers.
But credit where it is due....AMF are doing a great job with the super 6 (with out them this wouldnt of happened.

Werribee Maybe you could put together a major tournament for the tounrnament bowlers of Australia (just a thoought
icon_smile.gif
)

Mark Foster

Hi Milkie,

Your comment ""I am all for setting up scoring for the less expienced bowlers""

This is not the way to help our sport.

Showing less experienced bowlers spare shooting systems and how to adjust is more beneficial. Bowling big games and having a high average when you dont know why does not help these bowlers, especially when they decide to bowl a tournament or a second league at a different bowl.

I just wonder if you or I, or any other high average bowler would be where we are with our bowling now if when we were starting out we had easy non thinking lane conditions to bowl on?

I do like your idea of several challenging lane conditions throughout a season but I do not think that this would attract all that many more bowlers though.

Rig

Cameron's idea is currently being used in the USA and it is called Sport Bowling System. They have a 2-1 oiling pattern requirement (eg: 30units in the middle 15 on the outside) and the condition changes on a weekly basis. If the reports are correct, it is actually becoming extremely popular and is a very exciting concept over there. (Cameron I can source some info for you if you like).

Cameron, I don't think you are alone in your thoughts and I urge you to come to the next reformation meeting and put up the suggestion. We didn't buy this technology to put the same thing down each day, let's use it.

As far as scores becoming better here, well the first week we had a significant jump in scores, but the last 2 weeks it has probably not been a hell of a lot different (except for last Tuesday), and I'm told you don't have to work as hard for your score (we all know what a sweat it was at Werribee).

We work with our bowlers and constantly take on board comments we get. I have invited a number of people to come down one day (weekdays are better) and muck around with patterns (Cameron I'd appreciate your contribution to that also). The problem is that you can't just cater for one person's style.

If the Kegel didn't improve things I'd be asking for my $48K back and using a $1.99 spray bottle with Olive Oil (not really)! We are currently working with the Kegel USA technicians to improve the finer points (huge back end....no I don't mean my arse) in overcoming future problems and getting it as close to perfect as possible.

It's great to get feedback.

Thanks All,

Edi

Rig,

There is a time for coaching, and there is a time for making money.

When you are running a 24 lane centre, and you have people that want to come once week, to bowl league, setting up a more "easier" condition would be a better COMMERICAL decision.

If you are talking about lesser experienced bowlers who strive to be better at the sport, then I do agree with your comments. But purely from a commerical point of view, a centre will make more money having a condition where anyone can hit the head pin.

As a bowler in the Super League, i am pleased that both Edi and the hea tech have been in consiltation with us both weeks since the Kegal was purchased.
They are open to any suggestions on how to make this one of the biggest leagues in Victoria, so any help is appreciated.
There's a couple of issues to iron out but i its deffinately moving ahead well.

i think Cam's idea is great, but i think seven conditions may be a tad too many.
Four of five should be enough.

Just like to say well done to werribee bowl, on this!, its good to see a bowling center actually working with the bowlers to try and make something happen...unlike AMF who are just after the money!...and dont really care about league bowlers.
But credit where it is due....AMF are doing a great job with the super 6 (with out them this wouldnt of happened.

Werribee Maybe you could put together a major tournament for the tounrnament bowlers of Australia (just a thoought
icon_smile.gif
)

Mark Foster

Mark,

Good suggestion. What's say we go the whole hog and organise an annual Melbourne Launcestion challenge??? We could have one tourny at Werribee and then the return match down in sunny Launceston (it would have to be in summer wouldn't it???).

You could do the good accommodation deal for the visiting Melbourne bowlers. Just need to work out the format etc, and fit it into a weekend where it doesn't clash with anything else. It could be teams, doubles, whatever can be worked out.

Any interest????

Jane.

PS: How's the thumb been since Melb?

Back
Top Bottom