WA's All Time Greats

Ahh yes the Elaine Dance - definately the best Mxd Dbls combo getting around

Reggie Simpson i remember running a meeting for Citys Allstar team at the begining of a season and telling all teh guys that they had to wear Balck Strides the next week I had Reggie in the starting line up and he came in with Black pleated out flares with Pink lining and Big GOLD BUTTONS AT HIS KNEES WHERE THE PLEATING STOPPED

Reg and his infamous Gold Cup team should all be listed they claimed uite a few scalps from memory, Wimbridge, me & i believe Baron twice in the same year.

Good ole Bobbie Housham and his son with those HUGE protective eye wear

Ok my turn , before i start i would like to thank those concerned for even mentioning my name amongst such stars as reg simpson, eric calvert, bob hounsam ,alan skupin all wonderful players in their own right.
Just to get a few points across first Nathan buckley made collingwoods team of the century although was originally a brisbane bear ,and who out there would still classify adam gilchrist as a new south welshman.So brian hamer ,tom kury ,West australians as far as i am concerned.
So we will start there shall we

1. Tom kury . nothing needs to be said.

2.Michael Muir .May even overtake tom but not yet.

3.Brian Hamer .Champion bloke champion bowler .

4.Rod thompson.Won it all and cut in everything that was around.

5.Steve Hart .Should possibly be in #4 but will rise possibly a 4 more spots in time , no sweeter shot to be found in this sport.

6. Alan skupin.lots of 300's lots of wins heaps of cuts heaps of rachuigs loads of prez shield, enough said.

7. John salotti.won everything ,bowled everything ,cut in everything ,fun guy.

8.John Bushell .First controversial one here ,my heart says he should be higher but i couldnt squeeze him in big heart ultra consistent.if it was voting on nicest person only I would come in above john.

9.John Kybalo .Big man big shot smooth as silk in his day.

10.Greg ball .As much as we bag him this guy really can bowl has won his share bowled well over east heaps of rachuigs , ball bag and shoe tournies etc

sorry for any ommissions i will post the girls later on .

everybodies friend

wimpy

I know i haven't been around as long as some people on this post, but in the 11 years i have been bowling, these are who i think are WA's best

Men: Steve Hart, Alan Skupin, Mike Muir, Ross Bailey, Steve Wimbridge, Ken Thompson, Matt Fragall, Clinton Phelps

Ladies: Carol Gionotti, Jackie Bailey, Sharon Murray, Nicki Wilkinson, Sam Taylor

Juniors (past and present): Scott Andrews, Matt Rogers, Shane Czerkasow, Craig Blachut, Scott Rosman, Leigh Chalmbers, Fiona McKay, Kathy Lee, Jenny Green

I have grown up watching all of these people bowl and been in awe of all of them at some point in my life, be it from watching countless Perth and Rosemount Cups, or hearing of their many achievements. I would someday like to be counted on this list, but i have a feeling the standard set so far it quite high, so i have a lot of work to do

(P.S if i have forgotten anyone, i'm sorry)

Reply to Ice MAiden

Just need some clarification of your List

Firstly Thank you for naming me in there, most kind of you. I'm sure one day you will be able to place yourself in this list.

Now you say you have only been bowling for 11yrs i take it you started then 1990/1 and obviously you did alot of your early bowling at Cannington

I have one question though, if you have watched many Rosemount/Perth Cups can you tell me which one Ross Bailey made an impact on you to have placed him in your list OR was it just his League performances. I may be wrong but the last Rosemount/Perth Cup I can recall Ross playing would have been around 90/91. Would have to check the records for exact year.

Dont get me wrong I believe Ross has done alot for Bowling in WA especially within his own centres. His and Jackies continued support for their house bowlers is unquestionable. I mean lets face it most of your list have been influenced by either one or both throughout their bowling careers. Their heart felt continued support towards the Junior bowlers has been on going since 79/80.

I just cant see how you could place Ross as a Top 10 Bowler in front of the likes of Tom Kury, Brian Hamer, Greg Ball, John Bushell and many many more.

Can you please just for my sake clarify his inclusion in front of the others that I have named.

It would also be nice to know who I am actually responding too. From the names you have mentioned you were obviously doing alot of Bowling through the mid to late 90's to have included such names as Jenny, Fiona, one boys name who I think should be included whom I never mentioned before would BEN CONICK, made the Inaugural Jnr All Team back in 95 during his first ever shield, was a humongus effort.

GIDDY UP!!!

sorry, let me clarify.
1) ross had more of an impact on me off the lanes, by way of coaching. it probably wasn't right to put him there.
2) my memory isn't too good, so people like Tom, Brian, Greg and John, i'm sorry to have forgotten you
3)yes a lot of my bowling was done in the late 90's during my Preident Shield trials as a young girl (that should give you a BIG clue as to who i am
icon_biggrin.gif
).

Again if i've forgotten ANYONE, i am sorry

Thx 2muchfun

Yes Toni agreed like my response indicated no one would deny Ross being a great and long serving contributwer to the sport but as alot of Centre Staff and Managers it never really went beyond their own centre.

And as a player Well we'll just leave that one alone

Your last yr of Shield this year, How have the roll offs been going

You should start a post with the WA Shield results and anything else concerning the event

GIDDY UP!!!

My my how quickly we forget. Sitting around the table at Leo's after the first week back for 2002 and Steve Johnstone says he cant believe no-one has mentioned Trish Kourtesis. And he's absolutely right. What a champ. Rachuig, FIQ and heaps of other achievments. Boy I hope Trish doesnt read this site. I feel a bit guilty missing her out. Would have to rate amongst the best of Australia's all time greats surely. Baron
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

Bloody Johnstone, dont you hate it when he's right.....lol

Yes apologies from me also Trish, as the Ballmeister has previously indicated surely Trish one be in the Top 20 of all time Australian Ladies. Captained FIQ, countless Rachuigs for WA and slipped in a cpl for VIC aswell

Any others that have been missed, I mean we got Ross, Bobbie, Reggie,

icon_eek.gif

i will post the shield results up here for everyone to see, but they dont start until Feb 2 & 3. I do believe there is a WA shield post up, but no information to go in it yet.

i think the hardest part in the women all time side, is who to put at no.7..lots of candidates.
Top 6.
Carol Gianotti.
Trish Kourtesis.
Del Da Rae.
Jan Gianotti.
Shelley
Amanda Ladlow.

Not sure if Debbie Baldock still has P plates.
or,Gwen Bunting would get my nod for 7th.

my top how ever many i put coz i forget names are *not in order*
UNKY AL
MIKEY MUIR
CLINT
WIMPY
CAROL
DEB
MIKE F
and alot of others that i cant memmber :p
sorry guys
gotta go love Natti

Back