Walter De Veer Reunion

For those who made the trip down Gippsland way this weekend, a good time was had by all.

As announced earlier, the team of the decade was picked on the weekend. This was conducted over 3 events with one person representing the team. The 3 events enabled the best all rounder to win.

Obviously the first event was bowling. The Briagolong lanes proved to be challenging even to the best of bowlers. The red pins proved to be popular as they were easy to see. However it was discovered that the balls used in lawn bowls do not knock over pins as readily as the ones used in tenpins !!

There were some complaints about the ball return and pin spotter but in defence of the equipment, I was going as fast as I could guys !!!! The lanes had to be dragged a few times (thanks to Joe Tomasinski for making the effort with a well worn out broom) but the lanes still proved to be challenging as a request by David Ikin was made to "Lane the Oils please". Not sure how many drinks he consumed by this stage......

The second event was to judge speed. It was discovered that a somewhat large plastic ball between the legs definitely slowed down any chance of a speedy race.

The third event was an aptitude test. It's amazing how much goings on and gossip we have missed over the last 10 years of WDV not to mention some of the home truths that were learnt.

After the tallying up of the scores, the team of the decade was decided. So to all you people who were a part of the 1998 team that travelled to the Gold Coast, you can thank your representative being Joe Tomasinski, for faring so well and finishing first. He was presented with the trophy of the ever popular blow up sheep.

I do not have all the results with me at the moment but I know that 2nd place was a tie. One of the teams was the 2000 team but can't recall who the other one was.

To all the people who attended this weekend, I thank you for making the drive down to our place and hope that you had a safe trip home and a day that you will remember for a while.

Liz Fabian-Czmok

Just to add to the post above a few things were left out !!!!
After nobody was able to get a strike on the bringrogalong lane the fourth event was horse shoe throwing but with no horse shoes in sight, it was decided that pin throwing would be the alternative with joe winning round 1 and grumpy round 2 (the one who couldn't get a spare one his home lane)
The men against the women(and i use the term loosly) soccer match in which the men won 20-5, this event did show the good sportsmanship of all. Especialy the women who shirtfronted some of the men, no fouls were called on this but a few men did finish on the ground.
Well in all a good time was had, i do believe there are several sore bodies out there this week.
Hope to see you all at the trials this year
Grumpy

Back
Top Bottom