Unacredited Coaching

Peter - Good to hear from you again. Agree with everything you say, but I'm afraid most people to-day can't grasp that 'Certificate 3 in Basket Weaving" is not a vital pre-requisite, to being able to do virtually anything. I'm not blaming them, or even critisising. They have known nothing else. It has apparently the way things have always been done.

Main problem with formal qualifications, even if unwittingly, is that along with being taught what can be done, you are taught ( by implication ) that which cannot be done. There is a border drawn around existing knowledge, which is hard to break through.

Probably most of the innovations over time, are made by intelligent people, not constrained by taught knowledge of what 'can't be done.'

There was a time, especially with coaches, in all sports, when those who were good naturally floated to the top, and they were in demand for their ability to teach. Nobody had any doubts who they were, it was self-evident.

They weren't necessessarily great players - just great teachers.

Quote:- Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. !!:oops:

Porky, it's a pity that you dont post here more often 'cause everything you say makes sense.

On that occasion (with Jason) I and someone very close to me were assisting with the coaching and witnessed the distress the boy was in. We both approached the 'coach' and asked that he just let Jason have a little 'fun'. It got very heated I can tell you.

I've been involved in a variety of sports, most of my life, and long ago came to the conclusion that the very lucky ones amongst us (no matter what sport) find something special that works just for us. For Jason we all know what that is. For other bowlers such as Joe Velo it's finishing on the wrong foot.

Take a look at any pro event and see if you can find any two players that have similar styles. If you find any then most likely they are a 'copy' and copies are rarley as good as the original!

In my opinion, a good coach recognises that he is witnessing something special and enhances that ability without destroying it.

Just about every coach that I have met (especially those that dont get paid) have good intentions. However, when you see a kid that is doing something a little different from 'the book' check out the results he or she is getting before making 'the big change'.

You might just have another Jason Belmonte on your hands.

In my opinion, a good coach recognises that he is witnessing something special and enhances that ability without destroying it.

As I sad

Coach being the operative word here
Who can call them self a coach??
If someone unaccredited walks onto the approach and tells a bowler to more 2 boards right is this coaching??

I will bet my Left ******* that every time Jason Belmonte stepped onto the approach as a junior during league or as a young one entering into senor leagues someone would have tried to change and tell him he is doing it wrong not a coach- a fellow armchair expert

BTW some people still say Belmo is cheating

That advice given to Jason at about 12 years of age had a huge impact on him, so much so that we almost lost him to the sport...

When Jase finally decided he was going to do "his own thing" I said you will have to learn the rule book backwards because there are people who will try and shut you down and above all else..."learn to pick up your
10 pin"...he was a hopeless spare shooter (he's always having a dig at me so now we're square).

My son has been bowling now for about 6yrs and has only ever bowled 2 handed... How or why he started doing this I don't know but I think it was because he just felt more comfortable doing it... Now he's a little older and has come along quite nicely and has modelled his approach to the game off Belmo... For me, I'm glad Belmo decided to stay with the sport as not only has his popularity helped the sport but it has opened up avenues for bowlers... But as for my sons bowling... He has only ever been encouraged to do what he feels comfortable with and that is bowling 2 handed. But this really has been made easier for him in today's game thanks to Jason...

As I sad

I will bet my Left ******* that every time Jason Belmonte stepped onto the approach as a junior during league or as a young one entering into senor leagues someone would have tried to change and tell him he is doing it wrong not a coach- a fellow armchair expert

BTW some people still say Belmo is cheating

I think you will find it was coaches who tried to change Belmo in his formative years. Purely because NO-ONE knew how to coach the 2 handed technique! I recall Belmo stating during an interview that it was one of the state team coaches who told him he would never amount to anything as a 2 hander.

I think you will find it was coaches who tried to change Belmo in his formative years. Purely because NO-ONE knew how to coach the 2 handed technique! I recall Belmo stating during an interview that it was one of the state team coaches who told him he would never amount to anything as a 2 hander.

And Imagine if they did change him
He could possibly be better than he is now
But no one will ever know that

And Imagine if they did change him
He could possibly be better than he is now
But no one will ever know that

nev25, don't take this the wrong way, but being accredited is not the be all and end all. There are too many coaches trying to coach everyone in a "cookie cutter" way, trying to make the same techniques work for everyone. Trust me, they don't!

Attempts were made to change Belmo and apparently it was very much to his detriment. It was at his parents advice that he decided not to continue trying to be a "proper bowler". The rest, as they say, is history.

I do find it funny that people bring up the two handed style being different when it wasn't too long ago that ALL national training programs where built around the average stroker type bowler, I know this because I was used in the testing of of new techniques for bowlers like myself. My point being that bowlers who are coached outside the "regular" training are done by non accredited coaches at least at the beginning because non one accredited will want/know how to train them. Where talking in general here I'm sure there are some exceptions. But I do know that had I personally not been coached in my early years by a non accredited coach I would not have achieved half of what I had done. It's people like this who will help keep bowling alive not a bit of paper standardizing coaching. And I would like to take this opportunity to thank all coaches out there accredited of not who help keep this sport alive!

I continue to read this thread about coaches who are or who are not accredited.
Everyone will have an example of someone or something to justify their own opinion on what is right or wrong.
What I can tell you is that some of the advice I have heard given to bowlers by both accredited and non accredited.
coaches is nothing short of "WTF"
Some coaches are better at offering advice on certain parts of the game and others are better at other aspects of the game.

To put everyone in one basket in relation to accredited is pretty dumb

From a personal point of view I have been playing the game for 43 years now, owned a Centre , been a coach since
1987 and one difference between being not accredited is the exposure and development available from those who
are accredited to allow you to keep up with the game as it changes..

Today the game takes a lot more of learning then ever before, the old days are gone , However the basics remain the same,
in respect to line shooting and targets and sparing requirements. All the technology part of the Sport is a huge
component of the learning process.

It is not about having a piece of paper or not having a piece of paper, they are just emotional comments of no substance.
It is more about your ability to impart relevant knowledge and help people understand and learn things as well as support bowlers
during the process Not trying to be J.C. !!!! All I have ever wanted to do is help people.
In the end if you want to coach people and not be accredited , good for you, It is not against the law, go for it !!! who cares
Certainly not me....

Believe me Jason is not the only bowler that 'put the wind up' a few of his fellow competitors. I was present in Reno (in 1994) after a Helicopter bowler won the World Masters using two old and battered balls. The more 'traditional style' competitors were horrified that this type of bowling could put them out of business.

It's common knowledge that one of the reasons that the more 'demanding' oil pattens were introduced was to put these guys 'out of business'.

I wonder how people first perseved Joe Velo bowling off the wrong foot. Could they possibly believe that "this is not in the spirit of the game?"

What about the guy that first put three fingers in a bowling ball? Did he cop the crap that aways comes with someone being just a little dfferent.

And then there was the guy in the US that had a higher average bowling backwards than around the right way! They sure gave him heaps!

The truth is that anyone who is considered to have an 'advantage' will always be looked at with suspicion. He must be cheating 'cause he always seems to be winning!

So if a new bowler joins a league never Bowled before apart from a social thing
Put a ball down
Armchair Expert A comes along and says "aim at the front pin"then
Armchair Expert B come along and says "no roll the ball over center arrow"Then
Armchair Expert C come along and says "no roll the ball over third arrow from right"

Do you really expect the bowler to return next week

How is this good for the development of the sport??

Wal B, I always wondered what happened to the 'helicopter' bowlers - they were causing quite a stir in the mid-nineties ( men and women ) seem to remember they mainly used 10lb. balls ?

• nev25 -
    Yep its all going to happen in April
    No wonder the sports dying
    There are bowlers that want to develop there skills and lean to bowl and cannot get coaching as there is a shortage of coaches and the TBA are doing what about it???

Remind me again why we are paying extract in our Sanction fees this year??

Wasnt it to help Promote and develop the sport​
    TBA Level One Coach (Australia)
    USBC Level One Coach (USA)
    Ball Hole Puncher
    www.morwelltenpins.com

Goodness, how times change, eh nev? Being critical of TBA, surely not in the hope that may bring about changes? No. I must be mistaken. Curses ! Wrong again !

• nev25 -
    Yep its all going to happen in April
    No wonder the sports dying
    There are bowlers that want to develop there skills and lean to bowl and cannot get coaching as there is a shortage of coaches and the TBA are doing what about it???

Remind me again why we are paying extract in our Sanction fees this year??

Wasnt it to help Promote and develop the sport​
    TBA Level One Coach (Australia)
    USBC Level One Coach (USA)
    Ball Hole Puncher
    www.morwelltenpins.com

Goodness, how times change, eh nev? Being critical of TBA, surely not in the hope that may bring about changes? No. I must be mistaken. Curses ! Wrong again !

Goodness Jim how many years ago was that posted
Yes it took 3 years to develop a new Coaching system
But its in place now so no excuses

Jim, the guy who won the World Masters in Reno had two AMF balls .. one was 11lb and the other 11.5lbs. He was struggling in the first of the two game final before switching to the heavier ball in the second game for a 248 and the win.

He later said the heavier ball went just a little 'longer' and that was all he needed.

This is the truth .. I stood watching with the late Don Johnson who was so impreessed with the Helicopter style That he said "I'm going to give this a try". Not sure if he ever did but when a Hall of Famer is impressed it had to be all good!

And in addition a woman, Celia Florez (from Mexico) won the women's Masters throwing a spinner 10lb ball!

This has always stayed with me and convinced me that a player can be competitive using light balls.

There are plenty of examples on You Tube of the helicopter style. Just look up 'Bowling UFO Spinner' to get started.

#Thread Bump#

I recently became an accredited coach at our local centre for varying reasons, building confidence and development the main areas which were highlighted as a concern. A news paper article will be going to press soon promoting the resources within our centre as to why coaching will benefit bowlers within our centre or abroad. Here is a snippet of that article.

"Local Bowler Luke Hannon has become the first ten pin bowler in the centre to become recently accredited with his bronze level coaching certificate after completing an intense 2 day USBC coaching course which has just been adopted by Australias governing body of the sport the TBA. The USBC coaching course is a world wide recognised ten pin bowling coaching programme and Luke was apart of the first course ever held in Australia.

Hannon said, “ Coaching is an integral part of the resources within the bowling centre , its about teaching & developing the skill set to bowlers so they can become better at what theydo.“

“ studies have shown many bowlers quit or leave the sport because they aren’t progressing and get frustrated not knowing what to do”

“Ive been bowling for 25 years and like any other sport ten pin bowling has progressed over the years with changes from the physical game to equipment, the USBC course has now given me the best tools & resources to teach the modern game to others”

“There are basic fundamentals and mechanics a bowler must learn but each person is an individual with a distinct set of physical & mental qualities, no two bowlers are alike and coaching is about developing & implementing a plan that will best work for each individual”

A Back to Basics Coaching will be run by Luke and these lessons will run until the end of the year . These clinics are specifically targeting the 100-150 average bowlers but anyone is welcome to participate. Areas which these lessons will focus on is timing, swing, footwork & release to name just a few .The lessons are intentionally spread out to work on key components of a bowlers game and give time to develope the skills learnt.
"Progress will happen in stages, there will be peaks ,troughs & plateaus that bowlers will experience which is natural when you are learning new techniques" Hannon said.
For more info & details on dates & times for these lessons call highlands tenpin on 48 711600 or email [email protected]"

Now as far as my own game I tend to hit my parameters from 180-240, and I rarely have unders or overs on those numbers. I know plenty of practice will enhance those figures but that takes time, but im willing to sacrifice my time for the benefit of others, for me coaching constantly reminds me of things I need to do for my game without ever having to set foot on a pair of lanes . I was lucky that I had a good rapport and respect amongst other bowlers at my centre which is why centre management initially approached me about a coaching opportunity, even a coach needs coaching and I have to mention Andrew Frawley & Paul Delany for their encouragement also.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the whole point of being a coach is to know the techniques of bowling and then shape and mold said techniques to individuals that are learning from you right? Not mold the bowlers to fit the techniques because everyone is different and that won't work.

So if a new bowler joins a league never Bowled before apart from a social thing
Put a ball down
Armchair Expert A comes along and says "aim at the front pin"then
Armchair Expert B come along and says "no roll the ball over center arrow"Then
Armchair Expert C come along and says "no roll the ball over third arrow from right"

Do you really expect the bowler to return next week

How is this good for the development of the sport??

Thoughts??? you say, in your post on page one. Here is an interesting one to think about. With boundless lip wisdom and extravagance of assumption as used by some registered coaches, armchair experts, bowling alley incompetents and inane persons indulging in post usurpation, development of the sport can be of little consequence, comparatively speaking. As the well continues to dry up, as it were, maybe we can all slip into a state of desipience. Fatblack.

Thoughts??? you say, in your post on page one. Here is an interesting one to think about. With boundless lip wisdom and extravagance of assumption as used by some registered coaches, armchair experts, bowling alley incompetents and inane persons indulging in post usurpation, development of the sport can be of little consequence, comparatively speaking. As the well continues to dry up, as it were, maybe we can all slip into a state of desipience. Fatblack.

2lf8jc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom