Tonight I had to send an email...

Also June is it true that the High Performance Coaches prior to the writing of this course considered making the age 23 so that hire car companies didn’t become a problem...

Is this an ASC directive or is this a TBA recommendation...

Also who is higher Ranked…

1. A team manager
2. A Level 1 Coach?

Thank you for the explanation June.

Can we have assistant managers on the lanes that have not completed a managers course?

This was not confirmed during the course, we could then encourage other younger members to take on this role prior to completing the course (retain interest and be mentored).

Also as a shield committee should we look at indemnity insurance for managers, considering we are the employer? (for want of a better word)

Leanne.

Do we have the right to make that decision for them, given they are competent, able-minded adults?

No one has mentioned an age

Most have been talking about Youth what about an 18 year old looking after Seniors or how about a Rachuig Team. Are these people going to give that person the same respect as someone around their own age.

If you want to reduce the age to 18, and lets supose you have the 2 managaers 18 the 2 coaches 18 looking after a Shield team. There is no distinction as to what they can manage or coach. Most who have commented here possibly do not have kids or kids in these teams. So the judgement call must be made by those affected.

If we look at insurance for tem as indicated by June, I'm sure this will turn a lot of 18-21's off as the expence may be too great.

No one has mentioned an age
I thought that was the whole point of this conversation, actually... ?
Most have been talking about Youth what about an 18 year old looking after Seniors or how about a Rachuig Team. Are these people going to give that person the same respect as someone around their own age.
Possibly, and possibly not. But shouldn't it be up to the state board to determine if the candidate is capable of commanding the respect of the team they've applied to? Is the senior team going to respect a "bratty" 25 year old any better than a mature 18 year old?
As has been said repeatedly, the issue you're trying to address there is NOT the age of the candidate, but the maturity and ability.
If you want to reduce the age to 18, and lets supose you have the 2 managaers 18 the 2 coaches 18 looking after a Shield team. There is no distinction as to what they can manage or coach. Most who have commented here possibly do not have kids or kids in these teams. So the judgement call must be made by those affected.
Once again, if the parents of those juniors have an issue with the manager appointed by the state board for any reason then it should be addressed there. The board can decline to appoint a younger candidate if they feel that candidate is inadequately prepared, by life or training, to deal with it
If we look at insurance for tem as indicated by June, I'm sure this will turn a lot of 18-21's off as the expence may be too great.
Fine, if they choose not to for the expense, then that is their choice. At least then they'd have one...
Mr Shinnie, do you have children? If so, would you be comfortable with them going into such a team if the candidate you've had to decline was appointed? This specific scenario can only be answered by someone who knows that candidate, was he up to the task? (please note, this is an honest question and example, I'm not attacking anybody with it, simply requesting more information)

Mr Shinnie, do you have children? If so, would you be comfortable with them going into such a team if the candidate you've had to decline was appointed? This specific scenario can only be answered by someone who knows that candidate, was he up to the task? (please note, this is an honest question and example, I'm not attacking anybody with it, simply requesting more information)
mate i think thats where everyone and TBA espeically are missing the point
we arent talking about children we are talking about allowing someone to take away young adults.

Why do bowlers aged 18 - 23 need someone over 21 to take them away.

There have been rules set. The age question could be about anything - drinking, license etc. The choice has been for the sport generally.

It should be about the ability of the people in the role, and that is not restricted to the age of the team management. But the course does highlight the responsibility issues for all and it is definitely more involved than ordering shirts....

I would welcome some suggestions to work within the guidelines to encourage younger participation, be it assistant managers or other roles. Encouraging volunteers to be involved with our sport is important and should be given due thought.

Leanne.

Having assistant Managers or Coaches is the way to go,thereby they have the chance to absorb what goes on when travelling with teams and have a chance to learn from experience managers or Coaches who have been there for several years. At no stage should we dis-courage young people but we do need some rules and regulations as well. If TBA have decided that an age limit needs to be applied good and well. However lets encourage our younger members to get involved as assistants and create a pathway for them to develop their skills. :cool:

The decision to make 21 the age limit for being a Team Manager was made by High Performance Coaches prior to the writing of this course.
June Voukolos

I wonder exactly how many high performance coaches were consulted?
None of the ones I know were asked.

Its also ironic that getting coaches to nominate for State Team duties is extremely hard, yet they are the ones supposedly making the decisions concerning these same State Teams.

Or maybe its just convenient to point the finger in their direction.

Regardless of the rules and regs etc I'd like to offer a bit of respect to whoever it was that put their hand up in the first place to manage the aforementioned team. :punk:

The review process for all courses takes place at the TBA Coaching and Officiating Conference attended by a member of the ASC. All processes and changes are then recommended to the Board. If your state has an attendee then you have a voice for change or not.
June Voukolos

Are these people going to give that person the same respect as someone around their own age.

If this person whom was under the age of 21 was not suitable for the job.. was not capable to handle a team they would have not been appointed the job in the first place.

Why does this age limit apply to Managers only, and not to Level 2 coaches who also accompany State Teams?

I would like to say that I also comend the person who put their hand up for this job. Its not easy to manage a team. But I comend them for having the motivation.
Being one of the only people in my centre that want to do everything I can for my junior bowlers.
I am only 21 and on most occasions not much older than the juniors I take away. I have great communication with all of them on a friendship level but when it comes down to following orders like lights out curfew it is hard for me to become the adult and gain the respect.
I would reckon that the youth person appointed this position would have the same kind of problem as me so I can see where the age thing comes into play.
It is too difficult to be the friend and ultimately the boss.

Well really it should be quite easy with State teams:

"If you wish to represent your state again, obey the rules set out and show respect to the team manager and officials".

Does that cover the age difference?

I would like to say that I also comend the person who put their hand up for this job. Its not easy to manage a team. But I comend them for having the motivation.
Being one of the only people in my centre that want to do everything I can for my junior bowlers.
I am only 21 and on most occasions not much older than the juniors I take away. I have great communication with all of them on a friendship level but when it comes down to following orders like lights out curfew it is hard for me to become the adult and gain the respect.
I would reckon that the youth person appointed this position would have the same kind of problem as me so I can see where the age thing comes into play.
It is too difficult to be the friend and ultimately the boss.

It can be a problem, but its because your relationship has slipped to the level where you really arent respected as a person in charge, more so as a friend with added responsibilities. This sort of thing happens regardless of age, but physical appearence of an older person is sometimes enough to remind people of the situation and just who is overseeing the group.

Having been through similar things in my work life, first and foremost your duties as a manager come first and it is important that you are fair and uniform in any actions you take, but also dont be affraid to take a more authoritive stance. Its hard to do, but you need to step back on some of the personal relationships a little, the dynamic of the group changes to one where you are seen as a leader and not so much someone on their level.

That doesnt mean you need to be nasty, rude or abusive, and you certainly dont have to cut off all your personal relationships with your team members, but you have to put your foot down a little and make it clear when your instructions really need to be followed. If its a problem in a group environment, the best thing to do is to get the group together and lay out both yours and their responsibilities.

From experience, i think its human nature for everybody to test out the person in control and just see how they react to different situations. It establishes the boundaries we use to interact with people, both in one on one or in a group situation, doesnt really matter the age, we all do it on some level :)

Back
Top Bottom