TO RUSSIA, WITH LOVE

elsie

NEWSFLASH - Wednesday, 19 September 2007

TO RUSSIA, WITH LOVE

Orange, New South Wales: Jason Belmonte today announced his decision to compete in the world’s premier Singles event, the QUBICA/AMF BOWLING WORLD CUP in St. Petersburg in November.

Belmonte shot a stunning 221.27 average over 11 games of matchplay during the event’s national qualifier tournament, the COLUMBIA SOUTH PACIFIC CLASSIC in Melbourne last weekend to earn the right to represent Australia in Russia. However, the week-long BOWLING WORLD CUP is scheduled to finish just days before his wedding to fiancée Kimberly Shapter in Sydney, and Belmonte deliberated carefully before making today’s announcement.

“It wasn’t an easy decision, but Kim and I talked about it together and we both feel it’s a great opportunity,” he said from his family-owned Orange Bowling Centre this afternoon. “The World Cup is an event that every bowler wants to win….it’s something I have always wanted to win and I’m extremely excited to get the chance to do it this year,” he added.

2007 has been a stellar year for Asia’s current top-ranked male bowler, with spectacular success in high profile tournaments including the highly coveted Matchroom World Masters in Britain, the “High Roller” event in Las Vegas and a string of national and international titles. The opportunity to add the BOWLING WORLD CUP title to his impressive credentials is enticing for Belmonte, and his growing following of fans.

In the women’s division, Silver and Bronze medallist from the recent World Women’s Championships, Ann-Maree Putney from Newcastle cruised to a decisive win with a 216.14 matchplay average to secure her bid for the 2007 Bowling World Cup crown.

Meanwhile, Belmonte is packing his bags once again to participate in a series of demonstration matches in Japan next week and then flies direct to America where he and fellow Aussie bowler Jason Walsh have been invited to bowl in a major tournament in Panama.

Back
Top Bottom