The Wrestling Thread

I would really like to see the Hardyz team up again, along with Brothers of Destruction as there really arent any decent tag teams that are worth watching.

there really arent any decent tag teams that are worth watching.

I really beg to differ... Rhodes and DiBiase have the makings of the great team and will be one in the not so distant future - they've already main-evented Raw at least 3 times... when was the last time an established tag team (not just two individuals superstars thrown together) did that?

Miz and Morrison, even without the gold are the most entertaining team out there. Ryder and Hawkins, if given the chance COULD be a decent team.

The Hardys and BOD seem to have run their course. Matt and Jeff have broken out to decent upper midcard singles stars. Taker will always be a main eventer until he retires, and Kane has finally became interesting again with this whole psycho angle.

Tag team wrestling and faction warfare is just getting interesting again.

As for TNA, Chris Sabin and Alex Shelley (the Motor City Machine Guns) are the greatest team in the big 2.

BTW has any one watched a twist of fate the hardy boys story?

its pretty good actually, some of the matches they've got on there are pretty good as well. Have watched the hardyz vs dudley tag team tables match a few times, keeps getting better every time. Plus matt v edge (cage match), matt v kane (no-dq, no count out), couple of MITB qual matches. Well worth a watch.

But i agree, as much as i like watching them, the hardys probably are btter of now staying as singles, maybe the occasional tag match ever so often. Time to have other teams have there moment to try and shine.

Still pulling for Cryme Tyme to get some tag titles though :D

there really arent any decent tag teams that are worth watching.

the only tag teams that were good to watch were the dudleys and hardys.
when taker had his biker gimmick the brothers of destruction were good. HBK and HHH as D generation X reunion was very entertaining.
i think they need more mixed tag teams and create more partnerships.. a bit like Rated RKO "orton and edge"

The E may be signing a huge top Japanese star very very shortly, Pro Wrestling NOAH's GHC World Heavyweight Champion, Takeshi Morishima

8%2018%2008%20wwe13news.JPG

He recently had a couple of dark matches before Raw and SD. Morishima is about 300lbs but can brawl, mat-wrestle, and even match the high-flyers. He's a very versatile wrestler. Well worth checking out on Youtube.

Hopefully they do come to a deal with him shortly. With Morishima in the WWE business would definitely pick up!

BREAKING NEWS FROM WWE.COM
Three-time WWE Champion John Cena will be out of action indefinitely with a herniated disk in his neck. Requiring surgery, this injury is the result of being caught off the top rope with a bone-jarring Batista Bomb, delivered by The Animal at SummerSlam. Watch GM Adamle's announcement

According to WWE’s Dr. Chris Amann, who reviewed the MRI results with Cena, the injury sustained by the Chain Gang Commander was considerably worse than originally thought with large disk herniation.

“It needs to be dealt with because I lost most of the feeling in my right arm and am having pain in my shoulder,” Cena told WWE.com. “I’m losing 20 percent of my strength per day. If I don’t do anything about it, the injury will end up rupturing and then the surgery will be more difficult. It’s not easy, because surgery never is.”

Last year, Cena missed considerable time when he tore his pectoral muscle after receiving an RKO by Randy Orton on an announce table. He later made a remarkable return to the ring months ahead of schedule at the Royal Rumble this past January.

“It’s a different injury than the pectoral tear because that was more of a muscle injury; this is concerning my bones, which has a lot less blood flow than muscle tissue. It also has to do with my neck, which is a very fragile area,” Cena described.

“Every moment I stay away from the table is another moment something bad can happen. The disk is so bulged out and inflamed that any sudden move could make it worse.”

But when it comes to the Chain Gang Commander, the pain associated with this type of injury is perhaps second only to the anguish of being forced away from sports-entertainment – his home. Still, Cena recognizes what he needs to do, even if it means stepping away from the ring for some time.

“You can either do one or two things: You can be upset or pout or you can know what to do to get better,” Cena said. “I’m already in the mode of getting the surgery as quick as I can.”

He continued, “In the last ten months, I’ve really focused on functional strength training and I’m stronger than I’ve ever been. My goal is to talk to the neurosurgeon about how quickly I can get back to full-throttle training and getting back into the ring. And that’s the ultimate goal – to be strong as I can and get back into the ring as soon as possible.”

For those, like me, who didn't catch the King Of Kings on Main Event, it can be found on youtube in 34 ten minute videos. It shows some of his old matches, but I would've preferred to here more from HHH than I did. Still worth viewing if you're interested.

DEMOLITION! Now there was a great tag team. Anybody else here old enough to remember them?

I remember them Peter... Their 2 out of 3 falls match vs The Hart Foundation at Summerslam 90 is one of my fave matches EVER... still to this day!

Do you remember the Orient Express? Tanaka and Sato, and later Tanaka and Kato. Used to love watching them too.... and who could forget their manager... The master of Fuji Vice..... MR FUJI!!!!

Ahhh the memories Luke. The memories. How could I forget. The Natural Disasters. Earthquake and Tugboat. Both now deceased. Their match ups with LOD (Look Out Dummy) were legendary.

I sometimes miss the old days. The British Bulldogs, Hart Foundation, The Rockers, Can Am Connection, Brutus The Barber Beef Cake (you'd want to be tough with a name like that), Adrian Adonis and so on.

I found some old VHS tapes with a heap of pay per views including the first 3 Wrestlemanias. I'm feeling nostalgic. I think I might go pillage the sons room and grab those tapes and have a walk down memory lane.

It makes me chuckle when people say "the E should go back to old school days like with Angle, Rock, Austin, DX".... the Attitude era, as great as it was, is not old school. 2yrs ago isn't old school... try 2 decades ago. Its sad that a lot of fans today won't watch matches from the 80s and early 90s because they don't have the sick bumps or the crazy high flyers etc.

How I miss Earthquake. He was an agile big man heel.

The greatest stable of all, the Heenan Family, were phenomenal. Bobby Heenan took guys that had no chance (Hercules) and made them into something!

I may gave to do the same thing and take the nostalgic trip too. Have watched wrestling since I was 5yrs old...for 20yrs now... all different types from bloody brawls, to mat classics, to the most crazy insane highflying you'll ever see, and even the ultraviolent lighttubes-to-the-crotch, weedwhacker-to-the-stomach backyard stuff.

Definitely will have to pull out that classic from SS90... maybe pull out SS91 for the Bret Hart v Curt Henning masterpiece. One other match that I will put up there as one of the greatest of that period, and still in the now, was the retirement match of Warrior v Savage at WM7. I was never a fan of the Warrior, and was so-so on Savage at best but this was a 25+ minute epic. Well worth checking out.

It got me thinking of my top 5 matches I've seen from then.

1985-1990
1 - Hart Foundation v Demolition - 2/3 falls - Summerslam 90
2 - Savage v Steamboat - WM3
3 - Hart Foundation v Demolition - Summerslam 88
4 - The Dream Team (Dusty Rhodes, Koko B Ware, Jim Neidhart, Bret Hart) v The Million Dollar Team (Ted Dibiase, Honky Tonk Man, Greg Valentine, ???) - Survivor Series 90 - This was the birth of one of the greatest wrestlers alive today... the ??? was the debut of the Undertaker!!
5 - Hart Foundation v LOD - WWF Superstars(?) 1990.

1991-1995
1 - Warrior v Savage - WM7
2 - Bret Hart v Shawn Michaels - the first ever Ladder Match in the WWE - 1992
3 - Roddy Piper v Bret Hart - WM8
4 - Shawn Michaels v Marty Janetty - Raw 1993
5 - 3way tie - Bret Hart v 1-2-3 Kid - Raw 1994
- Bret Hart v Bob Backlund - I Quit Match - Survivor Series 1994
- Bret Hart v Diesel - Survivor Series 1995

All matches in the "Forgotten Years" that are worth checking out

Oh and of course the 50 minute classic between Bret Hart v Steve Austin @ WM13. Austin became a face and Hart a heel in this match. The only bad thing was Ken Shamrock as referee.

You got that all from memory, didn't you? LOL!

Wrestling for me started back in the old black and white days. World Championship Wrestling. The old man took me to the Thebarton Town Hall in Adelaide to see a live show with the likes of Spiros Aryon, Mario Milano, King Curtis, Killer Carl Cox in a cage match. How can you not be hooked after that? It was cool to get up close to these guys and to actually see the battle scars. King Curtis was notorious for having his forehead gouged with a biro and the scars were very visible. This sort of stuff makes quite an impression on a young lad.

WM1 & WM2 were no nonsense, no frills events. WM3 changed all that and for some reason that sticks in my mind more than any other event. It was absolutely huge. It was live on free to air TV. There wasn't anything else at the time. 4 hours long. It was great.

I have to go through all these tapes now and find the matches that you're talking about. My memory isn't anywhere near as good as yours.

I actually didn't mind the Ultimate Warrior. The wife adored him lol. Physically, he was very impressive. As a wrestler.......meh. Kind of like John Cena. No real great ring skills. Pity he let the roids rule him. It almost killed him when he overdosed a few years ago.

I completely forgot about Shamrock. That's probably a good thing.

It's a very family orientated industry. Some would be surprised who is related to who.

You mentioned Macho Man. Do you remember the first King Of The Ring?

I would've loved to have been around when wrestling was incredibly huge here, and places like Festival Hall took the place of churches on Sunday where the masses gathered.

Never saw the original KOTR... the first one I saw was the 93 one. As you could probably tell Bret Hart was my fave wrestler from then, and still is EVER, and him winning the 93 event kinda swayed me some more to watch it. Haven't been able to find any copies of the original KOTRs. I really wish they'd bring this event back as a PPV. Mind you after 97 it went downhill.... 99's King Billy Gunn???? Hmmm yeah, that has prestige written all over it!

Warrior did his job.. He put butts on seats. The kiddies loved him. He was the true larger than life character. Its just a shame that not a lot of his matches were of the best quality. It was funny watching a bit of the Self-Destruction of the Warrior dvd, Heenan's saying when Warrior v Andre happened.. Warrior was doing stiff clothesline after stiff clothesline.. Andre had enough and whacked him back. You either have balls or rocks in your head for crossing Andre... I'm pretty sure Warrior had the latter.

Unfortunately that was all from memory haha. I watch too much of the stuff... Close to 15hrs a week I think with the Es 3 shows, PPVs, TNA Impact and their PPVs, ROH (still have 8 shows of theirs left to watch @ 3hrs each).

Was going to do a list from 96 to now but thats just way too hard... also I didn't watch too much wrestling in 2001-2002 so wouldn't be able to give an accurate list.

The submission match between Hart/Austin was voted the greatest match ever on a pretty popular wrestling site. Angle/HBK @ WM21 was a very close second.

Wow if you put Angle, HBK, Hart, and Austin in a fatal four way that would probably just tear the place down completely.

1991-1995
1 - Warrior v Savage - WM7
2 - Bret Hart v Shawn Michaels - the first ever Ladder Match in the WWE - 1992
3 - Roddy Piper v Bret Hart - WM8
4 - Shawn Michaels v Marty Janetty - Raw 1993
5 - 3way tie - Bret Hart v 1-2-3 Kid - Raw 1994
- Bret Hart v Bob Backlund - I Quit Match - Survivor Series 1994
- Bret Hart v Diesel - Survivor Series 1995
What about Summerslam 1994 - Bret Hart v Owen Hart for the WWF Championship in a steel cage?? One of the best matches during that time in my opinion not to mention one of the best fueds of that time

That was a great match but I've never been a huge fan of cage matches. Would much rather watch a match where they're going hold for hold which is why I put Hart v Backlund in there. Backlund's heel snap brought new life into his character which during his face days was stale at best. It helped the continuation of the Hart family feud too.

its funny even tho bret hart was one of the best wrestlers around, the screw job was crap all because hart wanted to go to wcw, but what about undertaker he is underfeated, at wm?

What does everyone think about the card for Unforgiven?
I"m kinda over the HBK/Y2J fude I hope this is the last we hear of it.
I am looking forward to the scrambles they sound really entertaining.

What does everyone else think?

What does everyone think about the card for Unforgiven?
I"m kinda over the HBK/Y2J fude I hope this is the last we hear of it.
I am looking forward to the scrambles they sound really entertaining.
What does everyone else think?

I'm actually really into the Jericho/Michaels fued. Jericho has been in great form lately and it's pretty much the best fued that they've had for a long time.

5 best things about WWE at the moment in no particular order.

Jericho/Michaels
Punk is Champ
Cena is injured
Santino Marella
THE Brian Kendrick

That is all.

Expect the HBK/Y2J unsanctioned match to be epic like HBK/HHH from Summerslam 2002.
I'm looking forward to it.
The Raw scramble doesn't really interest me that much. Same with the ECW one. The SD one I'm very intrigued by, especially if we get THE Brian Kendrick getting a pin or 2.

I'm still not entirely sold on the format for the scramble... entering every 5 mins? So one wrestler will only be in the ring for 5mins... Somethings not right with that...

I'm still not entirely sold on the format for the scramble... entering every 5 mins? So one wrestler will only be in the ring for 5mins... Somethings not right with that...
I agree. This has got to be MVP's time

Back
Top Bottom