The ultimate tournament prize?

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Prize in N.D. Bowling Tourney Is the Alley
Sat Apr 15, 12:10 PM ET

The winner of a bowling tournament here gets a unique prize — the bowling alley.

Darin Bail, who bought Star City Lanes in this north central North Dakota community two years ago, said a family situation requires his family to spend several months a year in Oregon, where they came from.

He came up with a plan to quickly hand off the business — give it to the winner of a tournament.

"I call it the 'ultimate winner take all,'" Bail said. "There's one winner, no second place prize. The winner gets the whole property — a bowling alley, restaurant, the real property that goes with it."

Bail also came up with a unique tournament format — the score nearest to a bowler's own average will win. That ensures that someone who regularly bowls 75 could win just as easily as someone who rolls a 250 every time.

"I made it up myself," Bail said.

Gene Watne, who ran the bowling alley for 30 years, said Bail has "a pretty neat idea there."

"My goodness, the guy who wins invests $250 and ends up with a going business," Watne said. "I don't know how you can beat a deal like that."

Bail has lawyers and accountants overseeing the tournament and has cleared it with state gaming officials, he said. All debt on the business will be paid off before the tournament is over, he said.

The entry fee is $250. Qualifying rounds will be held at North Hill Bowl in Minot on May 27 and June 3, 10 and 17. The top 12 bowlers will face off June 24 in Velva in the bowling alley they hope to win.

Bail said he needs at least 600 entrants to make his plan work. If not enough people sign up, he will refund all entry fees, minus a $10 processing fee.

"People tell me we should expect 1,000 people," he said, adding that he has received calls from bowlers in several states.

"This is very personal reasons we are getting rid of it and it has nothing to do with the business," Bail said. "I have been torn. I would rather stay here and do this."

Who the hell would want to live in North Dakota??????????????

Upside - $250 for a bowling centre

Downside - $250 for a bowling centre!

I guess the same reason why anyone would live in S.A.

Who knows!!!!!:p

Sorry I didn't want to post but I just had too.

Brenton_Davy said:
Who the hell would want to live in North Dakota??????????????
Upside - $250 for a bowling centre
Downside - $250 for a bowling centre!

Brenton................my sentiments exactly.

This region suffers from population drain and has a horrendeous unemployment rate, it's not quite the ghettos, but it's the next best thing!!

The tournament will be relying on out of state/nation competitors, there is not 600 people in North Dakota who would have a nett value of $250, let alone a spare $250.

Remember..................if it sounds too good to be true, it usally is!! who knows what debts the lucky winner will also inherit.

Neville

GeorgeF said:
All debt on the business will be paid off before the tournament is over, he said.

Brunswick Tech

the above states they will not receive any debts, hence the reason he needs 600 people to bowl.
Paying off outstanding debts, and to probably fund the new thing he has going on.

Mr. I, I do believe that there are two (really) of these tournaments going on. One (this one I think) is for a 6 lane "center." The other is for a 24 lane 1.5Mill center

I'll go for the 24 lane one lol........................;)

Gary......................................................................:cool:

Ps: Ripped it from allbowling.com lol

PPs: $250 for a 6 lane centre .......... nah keep it ..............

Ice_Magik said:
Brunswick Tech
the above states they will not receive any debts, hence the reason he needs 600 people to bowl.
Paying off outstanding debts, and to probably fund the new thing he has going on.

OOPS..................must have missed that bit..............my mistake.......thanks for picking me up on it.

Neville

If he only gets 500 entrents, with the $10 dollars he makes on refunds, its an easy 5 grand in the kitty

Back
Top Bottom