The PBA goes outdoors in 2005!

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
The American Bowling Congress and the Professional Bowlers Association have gotten together and will hit a grand-slam by running the TV finals of the PBA Miller High Life Masters Tournament at Milwaukee's Miller Park October 31.

Make no mistake, this is no Halloween trick-or-treat deal. This is the real deal. For the first time in history, a PBA telecast will originate from a major league baseball park. Just imagine a record 40,000 spectators sitting in on a live ESPN telecast that normally draws about 1,000.

"We're proud to bring professional bowling and the ABC Masters back to our hometown of Milwaukee," said Jack Mordini, assistant executive director of the ABC. "Our partnership with Miller Brewing, the PBA and Miller Park will make this a landmark event in the history of professional bowling."

The regular part of the Masters, which annually draws more than 500 of the world's top amateur and professional bowlers, will be contested at the 72-lane AMF Bowlero Lanes in Wauwatosa, Wis., Oct. 27-30.

The Masters, one of the tour's four major events, will launch the 2004-2005 PBA season.

I would want to hope that the PBA have contigency plans if the event was rain-affected! :wink:

Rain?..Hell it's been known to snow in Milwaukee late in October.
Average temperatures on October 31st (based on the period 1971-2000)
11 degrees Celsius for the high
3 degrees Celsius for the low

It could be the new "debonair" PBA tournament.
The one where players will bowl in tux's, with waist-coat, fob watch, top-hat and overcoat - bit like watching Pot Black on the telly :lol:

Either that, or they can bowl like the Southpark kids :)

PDW leaves a stone-8..... :x Gnnnnndammmit, screw you guys I'm going hyome :x

Hmmmmmmmmmmm :shock:

I remember seeing the seniors tour bowling out in the sand somewhere. Maybe they wanted to be different, snow instead of sand sweeping across the lanes. I'll tell you what though, i would be alittle worried about cracking my gear if the temps are that low :eek:

I think Miller Park has a retractable roof, sorta like the Telstra Dome. They don't like playing baseball in the snow and rain either.

After some research.....

ROOF OPEN
millerparkroofopen.jpg

ROOF CLOSED
millerparkroofclose2.jpg

There's little doubt that the roof is the solution, but if the roof is retracted, then doesn't it make the event indoors again, to an extent?

Three issues have to be raised ... where do you put the bowling lanes in Miller Park? Of course, on the ground, for any of those who are smart enough to think of that answer. :wink: But seriously now, not all of the spectators will be able to see both the pins and the bowler.

Its very likely the spectators will be too far from the lanes to actually see anything. Perhaps temporary seating is something they're planning but they're gonna need a lot of them if they want to bring in 40,000 to the event.

Finally, I find it hard to believe that any tenpin bowling event, except POSSIBLY for the World Cup finals, would be able to attract a 40,000-strong crowd. I'm sure its every bowler's dream to be able to play in such an atmosphere but reality is different from a dream in most cases.

Giant TV screens!

I dunno about the crowd either, who knows, those crazy americans might just do it :) I wouldnt mind bowling in front of 1000 people, let alone 40,000, sadly, im not good enough to draw a huge crowd :lol:

Back
Top Bottom