the new walter de veer

garryarnol

Tasmania 2009 Holt champs
well what can i say about the new walter de veer tournament that alex popov came up with and said was going to be a huge success. well it was an absolute joke on tba's behalf as they only had 5 teams and they tryed to con another 2 teams to bowl and they said no but the teams that were in it did not follow the rules as it was ment to have 2 divisions mens and ladies well the team that finished 2nd was mixed and it had to be that all bowlers in the team were from the same centre or association. i mean come on alex if you had of listened to the bowlers instead of getting the tba board together for your little pow wow then the tournament would have stayed as it was and it would not have been a FARSE and a FLOP as it has turned out to be and tba would not be losing money from these nationals because with everyone involved with the teams there would have been at least another 5000 to 6000 games bowled in the first week of the nationals and there are a few rumours going around that the tba have been talking about getting the atbso and the newly formed darrell holt tournament to bowl at the nationals now i am not sure how true these rumours are but if alex popov would like to tell the bowlers what is going on then i think that it would be good for the bowling members to know instead of being kept in the dark. :confused: :(

We returned to bowling after 4 year absence and thought we would play in the nats because they were in our home state. Through this site we found out what had happened to the de veer (we had both previously represented in this format and loved it). We went to the nationals and immediately noticed the place was dead - no atmosphere and bugger all bowlers. We know where our interstate bowling travel will be next year and it won't be to the nationals, it will be to the holt carnival. Well done TBA for another well thought out process - What a well executed plan to lose money!!

This is not Just Alex's fault but the whole board and the appointed TBA Sate Manager (by Alex) and June because they have been trying to close down WDV for several years.Makes you wonder why they even bother to hold it again at Altona.
Lets face it, until we have a new TBA Board & CEO who will work in partnership with the various groups to foster Tenpin Bowling, our sport will not go forward.:mad:

TBA Rules for all associations under there guidance state that the association must foster the sport of TENPINS.
Too bad they can't follow there own rules.
Shame on you.

Like a lot of other long term bowlers out there it may be time to hang up the shoes.

The thought has crossed my mind lately many times and with the way TBA , my local association and bowling centre treat bowlers so the end of this year maybe it.

A case of the old adage " if it aint broken don't try and fix it" appears to be the general feeling here ????

well what can i say about the new walter de veer tournament that alex popov came up with and said was going to be a huge success. well it was an absolute joke on tba's behalf as they only had 5 teams and they tryed to con another 2 teams to bowl and they said no but the teams that were in it did not follow the rules as it was ment to have 2 divisions mens and ladies well the team that finished 2nd was mixed and it had to be that all bowlers in the team were from the same centre or association. i mean come on alex if you had of listened to the bowlers instead of getting the tba board together for your little pow wow then the tournament would have stayed as it was and it would not have been a FARSE and a FLOP as it has turned out to be and tba would not be losing money from these nationals because with everyone involved with the teams there would have been at least another 5000 to 6000 games bowled in the first week of the nationals and there are a few rumours going around that the tba have been talking about getting the atbso and the newly formed darrell holt tournament to bowl at the nationals now i am not sure how true these rumours are but if alex popov would like to tell the bowlers what is going on then i think that it would be good for the bowling members to know instead of being kept in the dark. :confused: :(

GARY , there only four teams

2007 Walter De Veer Results

1. Albury_Wodonga. Graeme Green, Ashley Chettleburgh, Neale Hinsley, Rolf Glaw, Allan Smith

2. NSW Leon Benarto, Benjamin Adams, Caspaer Boerkamp, Richard Palma, Renne Adams, Kyrstie Camisa

3. Onka_Morphies Tony Downes, Stephen Wakefield, Dave Smith, Ian Lang, Lee Schubert

4. NT Renata Maglieri, Janet Marriott, Mation Burton, Betty Johnson, Val Porteous

This has been taken from the TBA website (Sorry if there are spelling errors). Congratulations to the winners, but I have to say, there were only four teams for this event.
So in a year TBA have killed this event and again not listened to the bowlers and ignored the petition that was sent to them in January 2007,
Please some one advises me what we have to do, to be heard or even listened to.
I #### this game but HATE THE POLITICS that come with it. I am lost for words which is really hard for me.

Regards

Jeanette
:confused::mad:

And further to that Jeanette, wasn't the old Intercentre Challenge turned into Walter De Veer (the new Walter De Veer)?
That ICC last year had about 12 teams from memory, so that's all fallen away too.

GARY , there only four teams
2007 Walter De Veer Results
1. Albury_Wodonga. Graeme Green, Ashley Chettleburgh, Neale Hinsley, Rolf Glaw, Allan Smith
2. NSW Leon Benarto, Benjamin Adams, Caspaer Boerkamp, Richard Palma, Renne Adams, Kyrstie Camisa
3. Onka_Morphies Tony Downes, Stephen Wakefield, Dave Smith, Ian Lang, Lee Schubert
4. NT Renata Maglieri, Janet Marriott, Mation Burton, Betty Johnson, Val Porteous
This has been taken from the TBA website (Sorry if there are spelling errors). Congratulations to the winners, but I have to say, there were only four teams for this event.
So in a year TBA have killed this event and again not listened to the bowlers and ignored the petition that was sent to them in January 2007,
Please some one advises me what we have to do, to be heard or even listened to.
I #### this game but HATE THE POLITICS that come with it. I am lost for words which is really hard for me.
Regards
Jeanette
:confused::mad:

so there were only 4 teams well thats even worse. see now if you had of listen to your fellow bowlers alex and the board of the tba then you would have had a wonderful tournament that we had still bowling in the first week of the nationals and the atmosphere would have been totally awesome and in the case for alex that old saying IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT will keep coming back to haunt ya. :mad::confused:

The following is an exert from the unanswered petition lodged with TBA in January 2007:

During the course of the 2006 Australian National Championship in Hobart a total of 12385 games were bowled.

• 997 were bowled by Seniors (ATBSO members) who stayed on and bowled an All Event and the TBA Seniors Cup.
• 6280 games were bowled during the DeVeer week through All Events, Intercentre Cup, the 3 days of Deveer and then Restricted Cup. Immediately after the final of Restricted Cup, at the conclusion of DeVeer week, the game count was 618 ahead of the 2005 tally.
• 5108 games were bowled during the week of Rachuig including All Events, 3 days of Rachuig, Classic and Masters.

Fact : The DeVeer groups bowl the lion’s share of the games at the Adult National Championships.

A significant number of the 2006 DeVeer bowlers, and their supporters, will not come to the 2007 National Championship. This will lead to a major downturn in the lineage returned to the host centre. This downturn will result in this event running at a significant financial loss.

Looking now at the actual numbers the expected loss to TBA will be in the vicinity of $8400.00. This is largely due to lack of entries but also the professional volunteers eating into the expenses component of each entry.

Of course if TBA had marketed the new De Veer format more effectively they may have got a better result. They should take a leaf out of the Holt and ATBSO book on this one.

It’s interesting that TBA have a policy in place which states that if any national championship is likely to run at a loss then that event will be cancelled. TBA has known for many months of the entry levels at the 2007 Australian National Championship and the likely loss. I’m sure that the Board were well aware.

Knowing of this eminent loss is an obvious total lack of financial responsibility.

TBA abandoned the awards program a few years ago only because it was not turning a profit and handed it in total to an outside supplier. TBA should now do the same with national championships. Hand over the running and control of Nationals to an organisation that do it for the bowler’s best interest. I’m sure that the Holt Challenge committee would have no problems adding Rachuig to their program, re-instate 13000 games into the event and conduct an event the way it is supposed to be run.

Cheers
Joe T:cool:

I find it amazing how this board could not have forseen the result when everyone else could.
The 'average' bowler is the bread and butter of the sport. Most lower average bowlers don't bowl in tournaments because they need to build their confidence or they don't understand the grading levels mean you are not bowling against 200 ave bowlers. Rachiug level bowlers bowl tournaments constantly, but they are the minority of the sport. TBA needs to cater for everyone, which WDV did. Just because a few Rachuig bowlers have the elitest syndrome and could not handle seeing Restricted bowlers in state shirts - the sport is suffering. You end with the skewed distribution.

As much as Alex & co believe they are catering for all - they are most definately not.
Bring on Holt Challenge!

Seems that everybody hates the "new" format of DeVeer? I must say I feel like a real idiot for putting a make up team so they could actually run it this year.

Can anyone guess what our prizes were?

An executive decision gone wrong once again, as was the decision to screw over Peter Coburn and Ronda Hatchard among others.

Peter and many others did an outstanding job in Perth, hence that tournament was a great success. As against the debacle in Melbourne, it just goes to show where the administrators with "bowling at heart" are doesn't it?

Max

Sydpies said:
• 997 were bowled by Seniors (ATBSO members) who stayed on and bowled an All Event and the TBA Seniors Cup.
6280 games were bowled during the DeVeer week through All Events, Intercentre Cup, the 3 days of Deveer and then Restricted Cup. Immediately after the final of Restricted Cup, at the conclusion of DeVeer week, the game count was 618 ahead of the 2005 tally.
5108 games were bowled during the week of Rachuig including All Events, 3 days of Rachuig, Classic and Masters.

Fact : The DeVeer groups bowl the lion’s share of the games at the Adult National Championships.

I have to say, I did find it quite surprising when I read that there were only 1,172 games the difference between the 1st Week (De Veer) and the 2nd Week (Rachuig), because having seen both weeks last year, it appeared that there were many, many, many times more games bowled (and people in the centre) in the first week.
During the second week it was a bit like the proverbial 'poofter's picnic' at times and during Rachuig you could've lined up a couple of rubbish bins at each end of the concourse and had a game of cricket there were that few people watching.
That's just how it seemed anyhow.

I think you will find those figures are not audited. TBA has problems producing audited accounts especially the tournament account.

new walter de veer

Andrew S

The games bowled last year are 100% correct as they have been taken directly off my lineage spreadsheet used to pay the lineage bill last year and were reconcilled with the centre's daily count.

What makes these figures a little distorted is that the Rachiug week comprised 8 days (Saturday to Saturday) to the end of Masters, while WDV was 7 days (Saturday to Friday) to the end of Restricted Cup.

WDV bowled these 6280 games over only 7 days while Rachuig bowlers bowled the 5208 count over 8 days. This clarification supports Tiger's observations.

BTW, who won the concourse cricket cup ;-)

Back
Top Bottom