ten pin bowling in s.a

spence

well, where do i begin... its a shame it has come to me writing about this here but i feel someone needs to say something to wake a few people up in s.a. but after the response i have recieved over different issues from the TBA.SA my intrest in this sport has started to dwindle and i'm not the only one, its seems that ten pin bowling in s.a seems to be going backwards.. now i'm just curious to see what everyone else thinks... i'm going to list a few issues and events for you to think about..
1)rachuig trials earlier this year, an incident that could of been handled alot better by the tba caused 3 of the top 10 girls to withdraw or be forced out of the trials something that may deter them from bowling for our state again
2)the youth team debarkle.. many said i should have been in the team as i was the only youth bowler eligible for the team who made rachuig top 10 cut was 2nd highest ranked youth from s.a nationally and technically finished as the 3rd highest eligible in the selection tournament after just missing the cut and coming back to win the consolation tourny. when the tba was questioned on why i wasn't selected the response was.. "others weren't selected and have gotten over it, why can't you?" i was over it.. just wanted a reason why you wouldn't pick the only youth to cut it with the big boys in the state, for a youth team? fair question i thought.. not so fair response..
3)under 25's.. well what a catastrophy.. 8 illegal balls and yes i was one of them driller forgot to put axis hole in.. what tha? although i never used it cuz it rolled sH!# (not very well) i was disqualifyed, pinfall dropped and medals stripped all events medal taken aswell. however protesting on the grounds that the ball not used, pinfall was returned and entry into masters allowed this was the same for all disqualifyed.. however tell me how the tba decided that the peolpe who didnt use the said illegal balls were allowed pinfall back and entry to masters but were still stripped of medals? surely if your pinfall is returned your medals should be too?
4)i've heard the format for shield trials has changed to.. cut to top 20 after day one so too bad if you dont have a good 1st day you cant make up for it on a different condition? how do you determine bowlers who can adjust to changing conditions and different centers?
5)last but not least.. i've heard that some of the big names are giving the game away due to varying reasons but 1 reason is the politics in this state.. yurac bill j and sammy p are some of the names i've heard.. it will be a sad day in s.a if this is confirmed you guys are what the younger bowlers in s.a look up to i know cuz i'm one of them.. hang in there guys it can only get better.. we hope

i'm sure many of you have problems and opinions with this topic so get it off your chest..
p.s i hope i havent offeneded anyone if so.. i am deeply sorry as it was not intended to do so..

8)

im coming on here to clear up a few things

firstly, tba.sa did not make the decision to re-instate the disqualified bowlers.....the decision was made by the ethics and rules committee from all the states across australia.

secondly, not all the disqualified bowlers were re-instated.......lauren monaghan and myself were not re-instated because we said we had used the illegal balls.......but what really puzzles me is why would you take a ball that rolls sh#! to a tourni in the first place????????????

thirdly, if you can not make the top 20 in the state you are wasting your time trying out for the shield team. and you can determine bowlers who can adjust to changing conditions and centres in the second stage which will be held in 3 different centres on 2 different types of lanes. and im sure different oiling patterns.

thats my point of view

matty k

EBONITE....Bowl to Win!

Spence
Selections for teams has and will always cause controversy. :oops:
Over the years there has been many here in SA :oops: :oops:
just go to the 1996 junior team.
So dont go upsetting those in higher places :( :( :( :( :(

TBA.SA= Total Bullsh*@t Association of South Australia

First of all, Matty did you and Lauren put in an Appeal for your disqualification? I think not as that is what I have heard. Hence why the others got re-instated!!

It's a mystery, we meet again. YAY!! And again you don't have the guts to put your name to your post. Good effort!! :roll:
Your post interests me due to the fact that I think you have your facts wrong... Would you care to explain what the incorrect decisions were with the 1996 Shield Team????? I was in it so I would love to hear what the hell you have to say!!!

Spence, stick it out fella, it's a bumpy ride, but you gotta do it. Don't let em get the better of you, and not just TBA.SA! You have enormous talent and with the right push you'll do fine in this sport. Unlike some others!! Just move on now and show em in 2003!

Martina

Martina
Read again my post where did i say incorrect decisions were made
I said selections have always caused contorversy :!: :!: :!:
Im sure u can remember the drama of the 1996 selections.

The rules and ethics committee from all States across Australia?
Exactly when was this formed? Or has John Coxon finally cloned himself in an effort to raise his profile.
You don't have to answer that.

It's a mystery.... As far as I can remember, the 1996 Shield Teams (actual bowlers) were decided by 7 PAST THE POST! That means Top 7 total pinfall. I am not positive still that you have your years right though... Or are you not talking about the selection of the Team as such..... Why not put your name to your post again.... You gutless wonder........
:shock:
Martina

martina, all disqualifications were heard on individual merit, and because lauren and my self had said that we had used the balls the ethics and rules commity had no choice but to disqualify us.

p.s. martina, my dad pursuade every avenue available including talkin to the chairperson of TBA. but to no avail as we had actually used the illegal balls.

matty k

EBONITE.....Bowl to Win!

ok, sorry to offend any one in this post.
but the reason why x-rd did not put in a protest about the ill-legal balls was because one it seems stupid that the managers to protest against a decision that they voted on! and our bowlers said that they used their balls, now you cant tell me that out of the other six bowlers all of them didn't use their balls, when watching the boys ball i saw most of them swap and change balls on a regular basis, so whos to say that they didn't use the ball? another question why bring a ball if you have no intetion of using it?

well thats my b**** out of the way i'm sure some1 will have something to say to that

and spence dont worry bout the S*** going on in the state, we've all suffered through it in one way or another!
Kerry

Bowlers,
Interesting what happened that day.......I'm am amazed at the amount of illegal eqipment there was, and it surprised me to a couple of the drillers making a simple mistake as that...but we are all human.
Kids it is your responsibility to make sure your eqipment is correct after drilling,so don't be afraid of asking!!!.
Every centre should have there scales checked on a yearly basis.
As far as I am concerned the one's that said they didn't use there equipment .....unprovable......and all that was found with illegal equip. on the day should have been disqualified instantly...end of story. As a old and longest standing tournament director of the ATBA when it was around you would have been disqualified if bowling in any of the atba tourneys.
END OF STORY.

And to you spence....to me bowling is still on the decline thru many reasons...lets all hope it will turn around. As for the lastest casualties (retirees) of bowling...hunt..parella..johnson...all of whom I came thru juniors with.....all who I'm sure have had enough.....ends a era (except brenton of course) of bowlers who have seen the best and worst of times.
In 1980 one man (Rod Baylis) started tornament bowling in this state and gave alot of us the momentum we needed to be one of the most competative states in australia. It may have been good timing then for him or what ????.....who knows.
Whether it can all happen again ........once again who knows!!!!
I hope so for all your sake who want this game to be something........

Martina
You seem to want to get into a slanging match for what reason i dont know
I havent said anything against you When things havent gone your way u have always bounced back better than before. Others could take a leaf out of your book there but maybe u need to refresh your memory before making some staetments
1996 was definately not the first 7 past the post The top ten trained after the trails until selections were made on the day of the masters
the 3rd placed boy from the trials was not selected. It caused a lot of drama. (before u jump in here Im not saying it was right or wrong)
just trying to say selections always cause discussions but we have to live with the decisions that can not be changed.
I do hope we never get like the recent case in Cananda where a father sued his sons Ice hockey team because he didnt get the Most Valuable Player award.

Firstly, Kerryann, If i was either Matty or Lauren, I woulda put in an appeal not matter what.. How is it fair that the others that got re-instated and 'didn't' use their illegal ball(s) were allowed to bowl masters, when only god knows if those other people were telling the truth???? You would have had a case in any court room with that ruling for sure. I believe, if one was allowed to bowl, all should have bowled!!

My dear friend 'it's a mystery'... Why do you think I am trying to get you to have a slanging match with you?? What would I achieve out of that?.. All I and other people would like to know is who you are and why you don't have the guts to put your name to you posts thats all. If we all can, then why can't you? Do you have something to hide???

As for the 1996 Shield selection.. I have been going thru the archives and have found a few things. Yes I apologise for not remembering correctly.... That was like 6 years ago though... But I do know that was the last time that there was Total Selection! Top 7 all the way, the only way and the ONLY fair way! It is still a bit blury for me, but I know I was in the Girls Team and I was Captain.. The thing with Shaun was a bit of a stuff up really. Although, you can never please everybody can you... The selection with the Youth Team in 2002 though, just shoulda been Top 4 ELIGIBLE bowlers in each division after qualifying. Simple, but effective... Just my thoughts about that.

Matty, I guess being friends with people in higher places still isn't enough these days. But as I said before, I still woulda tried to fight it. Where does fairness come into such an issue that was such a problem. If the entire debarcle was handled correctly in the first place (again) it wouldn't have had to get that far, as to ring June. Anyway, cop it on the chin buddy and get on with the next thing in life.. Shield trials. Good Luck kiddo...

Thats it from me.... Well, for the time being I s'pose :wink:
Martina
P.S - It's a mystery, if you wanna pm me and tell me who you are... I ain't gonna complain :lol:

Firstly i just want to say that people are entitled to an oppinion and no one has the right to say we don't. It's a mystery, i remember shield 96 well as i was the last bowler selected and the top 7 ended up being selected in the end, however it was a shame about shaun but then as ms said you can't please everyone and obviously the selection committee had their reasons, but that was 6 years ago and selections are now top 7 which i think is the fairest way. What happened is over and should be left in the past, but it's a mystery why don't you say who you are? You have the right to say what you want and your oppinion, if people don't like it well too bad! If people don't like what you have to say well then it's their problem and shouldn't bother you.( Don't take this the wrong way , it is not ment to hurt you , just show that you have every right to say what you want :) ) Well thats my two cents worth and Spence, Don't let it get you down, you have so much to bowl for, you did well in masters and can bounce back!!!! You are a great friend and bowler and i know that it is hard but keep at it you will prevail in the end :D

Hey everyone

Firstly Spence, dont you dare give up because i speak for everyone when i say that you give some life to the lanes. Hang in there

As for the ball problem, if managers or whoever SAW those people USE their ILLEGAL balls, why didnt they say anything in the managers meeting??? Some of the bowlers kept their things in the Creche, so Jan, John, and Rhona would probably have known because at least one was down there all the time.

As for sheild, i believe Spence is right in his view. Rachuig used 3 patterns, one each day... who says sheild may or may not do that?? one center and 8 games isnt enough. Also, with 8 games, you have to come out firing str8 away, so what about those bowlers who take a little longer than the rest to find thier game?? i thought ethics in sport means that there is a level playing feild??

well there are my views, like em or not, they are there

Good luck to all jnrs this weekend, and at sheild, it is going to be a tight tournie

Bye for now

:D Mabye the U25's was unfair mabye it wasn't but hopefully it was a learning curve, im sure we can all take somefin outta da wkend and mabye next yr we can came bak and have some of these probs fixed. Ur always gonna have ya probs u cant plz everybody but i think this prob didnt really plz may ppl but there ya go.

With the shield trials yes Brad 8 games may b a bit short but taking top 20 allows 4 a slower start, but you do no the format b4 ya go in so if ya dont like it its bad luck coz i dont think they r gonna change 4 1 person. I dont seem much wrong with the format apart from the fact that its only over 4 days for the 1st and 2nd stage which if ur not on ur gonna miss out sorry bye bye c ya next yr. Mabye somefin like the SA squash team selection process will give a real indication of who the best bowlers in the state r. They r selected over their preformance in tournies over the whole yr not just in one tournie, its just an idea!
Bye :D

Underneath whats going on in South Australia right now theres a real sport with real bowlers playing it trying to get out, it was there 5 years ago and it can be there again if people start caring about bowling as a sport instead of a 'lets see how many tall poppys we can chop down' competition.

Martina, i thought that i copped iot on the chin very well.....i didnt hide in a corner and cry about it....on the day i forgot about it and came out and shot the card so i thought that i handled it very well......as for now, there is nothing i can do about it so im not gonna go get worried about it and get all huffy and puffy.....instead im gonna go to shield trials and try and kick paulies arse!!!!!!!! hehe

matty k

EBONITE.....Bowl to Win!

thanks to all that replyed. to tash, marty, brad, kerry and everyone who has backed me this year thanks for your support. without it i probably wouldn't be bowling anymore..
matt, the reason i had the ball was basically i'm to lazy to take it out of my bag and by me saying it rolls like sh!# is my way of saying it doesn't hit as hard as my other arsenal.. i agree with adrian.. when was the tba rules and ethics committee formed? and are you telling me that the whole of aust thinks its fair to return pinfall but not the medals that the pinfall won? seems like a bit of a contradiction to me.. and you can't have one without the other. the tba could have created this as a decoy to take the heat off them.. you decide..
its a mystery.. yes, who are you? it seems to me that you could be a board member as they aren't allowed to comment on here and you are very quick to defend "those in high places" if your not why then dont you reveal yourself.. and i'm sure you know by now its to late for me not to upset these people in high places
tony i see your point that all with illegal gear can't prove their innocence however i can.. i resurfaced the ball in question the fri night before and when it was weighed it still had no track marks, not only that i'm one of the
'tall poppies"adrian talks about and that the tba seem to be trying to cut down as i was informed that i had a marshall assigned to watch me and my behavior, this marshall was willing and i think they did put it in writting that they had wittnessed all my games and that ball was not used. if i didn't have a point to prove on that weekend i probably would't have bowled masters in agreeance with you but i knew 100% that i was innocent. i also agree that its the responsibility of the bowler to have their gear checked but its not like you can do it yourself not everyone knows how to 'spec check' a ball its just sad that so many of us put this trust in our drillers.. i think we have all learned a valuable lesson from this..
and brad i like to think that i bring some colour to the lanes glad you've noticed.. i'm a bit like pete webber in the u.s the pba tried to shut him down but decided to let him go and entertain.. it did wonders over there ratings went through the roof!! just wish i was as consistent as him!!
dont worry though buddy i don't think i'll be going anywhere i've still got some business to take care of.. 8)

seeya round
cheers for now
spence 8)

Spencer ...

I was interested about the ball disqualification, so I checked up the TBA rules on their very own webpage.

Rule 127: ILLEGAL BALL - PENALTY

All games bowled consecutively in a tournament or in a league series, with a ball that is proved to be illegal (outside of the specifications defined in Chapter 6), will not be recognised.

Ok, thats fine. I see two points I'd like to raise from that...

1. Its the bowlers responsibility to make sure that their equipment is legal. For those that dont drill their equipment, then you should talk to your ball driller and make sure they are legal. If your ball driller doesnt know if they are legal or not, they shouldnt be drilling balls ...

2. To be disquallified, you have to be seen using a ball that is illegal. I do not see in the rule books that says its illegal to carry round a ball that is illegal, however its illegal to bowl with it. If the ball didnt come out of your bag, then you do not deserve to be disqualified.

Its fine to check peoples equipment during play, but if an "illegal" ball is not on a bowling return, or in the players area, how can the TD prove that you used the ball?

The question is ... how can you argue with the TD once they have made their decision? Does the TBA have a complaints handling procedure for State issues?

Woops, I went and read another document titled "Base constitution and By-Laws":

14. Resolution of Disputes

All disputes regarding the interpretation of rules shall be referred to the Board of Directors for resolution. Any member dissatisfied with the ruling of the Directors may submit the matter to TBA as provided in the by-laws of that organisation.

I spose its up to you now if you want to submit your issue with TBA.

Back
Top Bottom