Team USA Trials..... why arent we doing it

The USA do not have a training squad i dont believe. So it would be good to see everyone who wants to bowl for the country rock up and bowl on a few patterns and the 1st 6 past the post go away

Bowling shouldn't have exclusivity when it comes to opportunity. Not everyone can afford to be involved in ranked events wether it's money, time or both . There are many good bowlers who play in sports series, travelling leagues , tournaments, etc that arent involved in rankings that could handle themselves on various patterns. Open it up to those wanting a crack, look at the unknowns that performed well at the US trials.
That is why i wonder why we don't do it like the USA by doing it that way anyone who wishes to try out can and even if you do not make the cut you still gain valuable experience from just doing it so the next year who knows you might get past the finish line and make it.

I am so glad someone asked this before i did. Would it really hurt that much to try it just once and see what happens?

Reactions: CT
The USA do not have a training squad i dont believe. So it would be good to see everyone who wants to bowl for the country rock up and bowl on a few patterns and the 1st 6 past the post go away

Gee, i remember when Rachuig used to be 1st 6 or 7 past the post. Rely 100% on bowler ability whether they made the team or not.

Takes away any personality clashes between bowlers and hierachy, power happy selection panels, favoritism etc out of play.

Will never happen.

Robbie T's overview of Team USA is correct. They actually do have a NTS (Team USA Squad)which is made up of bowlers who have qualified through the Team USA trails and the Summer Trials. The summer trails are conducted at ITRC in Texas where the top two gain a squad position. That's where Mike Fagan qualified through.

Most of the Asian Countries have some sort of roll off to make the squad then the teams for the events are selected based off performance. Thailand use the same format, you need to bowl over two weekends a total of 32 games across three patterns to make the National squad.

Grant61,

That wouldnt be a bad idea to have the same idea here although to save money i think one weekend would be better. bowl on 4 patterns and first 4 go through, and 2 selections

Interesting opinions on this topic.

For Loose Cannon The Weber Cup team is hand picked by the organising committee with the chosen team captains assistance.

I think if you employ a National Coach he/she should be allowed to choose the players that they want. At the end of the day the coach will be judged on the results at these championships and I think its right that they choose the team.

Nobody is telling Postecoglou which players he can put in his team.

98% of Asian/Arab countries bowling teams are selected by their respective coaches.

Look at the Aussie guys averages after the trios event in the Worlds Champs. 3rd best bowler averaging 203? Australia didn't really have a chance on paper to make the top 4 in the teams. They finished 23 pins behind Team USA after the 6 games. AMAZING effort. 2 guys that many thought didn't 'deserve' to be in the team possibly making the difference in making that top 4? I didn't see any mention of that performance anywhere in the social media circles, kind of went unnoticed.

I am probably biased but, Andrew has been chosen to be the Australian coach and he should choose his own team. He rarely gets things wrong at championships.

Yes i think what people have missed slightly is that with the Team USA rolloffs, this determines a squad of 12, then the coaches led by Rod Ross, select the team out of that squad for which ever event they are bowling.

Dont forget only 5 players out of that 12 are included based on rolloff positions. Top 2 in the Summer Trails and Top 3 out of the most recent. The other 7 are then selected by the Coaching committee to fill the squad.

This is kind of what happens with the NTS, but i certainly think having a Team USA style rolloff is a great idea.

Good point Robbie.

Let the coach choose 7 bowlers to go into the squad and have roll offs for the other 5 positions open to any TBA member.

I don't understand why there is a relatively small pool of bowlers in Australia anyway that is made even smaller by having to meet a set criteria to be then chosen to go into the NTS squad for that year.

Some bowlers don't nominate for NTS for that years cut off date because of circumstances when applications are due. ie. loss of income, injury baby, new house etc then those circumstances change throughout the year yet, because they didn't nominate means they must wait another year before becoming eligible again. Cut off date can be almost 12 months before the event on certain occasions.

Why risk having an inform bowler not eligible for selection because they didn't nominate 12 months previously when they didn't think they would be able to compete for whatever reason?

Last edited:
By the way the Columbia Team are having their rolloffs also in the same format as the USA

I just think this way of doing gets the best bowlers over many patters ranked on points system

Is that Columbia the bowling ball company? Or Colombia Matt?

I think its the country you are referring to and they are both very different.

As Robbie said

'Yes i think what people have missed slightly is that with the Team USA rolloffs, this determines a squad of 12, then the coaches led by Rod Ross, select the team out of that squad for which ever event they are bowling.
Dont forget only 5 players out of that 12 are included based on rolloff positions. Top 2 in the Summer Trails and Top 3 out of the most recent. The other 7 are then selected by the Coaching committee to fill the squad.
This is kind of what happens with the NTS, but i certainly think having a Team USA style rolloff is a great idea.'

Colombia is a straight roll off to determine all positions on the team for that particular tournament where as USA is a mixture of roll off and selection for their annual squad.

Which way is the best way of doing things Matt?

This is just my opinon, not saying its the right way or the wrong way. Everyone is entitled to an opinion aren't they?

I just would like the see something different.

And it was the Colombian roll off not the ball company.

Interesting opinions on this topic.

For Loose Cannon The Weber Cup team is hand picked by the organising committee with the chosen team captains assistance.

I think if you employ a National Coach he/she should be allowed to choose the players that they want. At the end of the day the coach will be judged on the results at these championships and I think its right that they choose the team.

Nobody is telling Postecoglou which players he can put in his team.

98% of Asian/Arab countries bowling teams are selected by their respective coaches.

Look at the Aussie guys averages after the trios event in the Worlds Champs. 3rd best bowler averaging 203? Australia didn't really have a chance on paper to make the top 4 in the teams. They finished 23 pins behind Team USA after the 6 games. AMAZING effort. 2 guys that many thought didn't 'deserve' to be in the team possibly making the difference in making that top 4? I didn't see any mention of that performance anywhere in the social media circles, kind of went unnoticed.

I am probably biased but, Andrew has been chosen to be the Australian coach and he should choose his own team. He rarely gets things wrong at championships.

Agreed but if Frawls would be allowed to choose it would come back to who is favorite. Even if i won everything i know i wouldnt get selected

I didn't question your right to your opinion.

I was merely asking which format was in your opinion better?

Team Colombia. Straight roll off for upcoming tournament.

Team USA. Mixture of roll off for X amount of spots on squad and selection for X amount of bowlers for remaining spots on squad for a year.

I think it would be nice to see a roll off.
Who ever wants to rolloff nominate, a weekend date is set, 4 patterns laid

Then 4 past the post and select 2

If you won everything there is no way Andrew wouldn't choose you. None whatsoever.

Good to get some different views and discuss them but, a personal attack on the national coaches integrity is not helpful

i wasnt attacking anyone i was just saying i dont think he would pick me. I just know thats how it would be

but thats ok as i know there would be 6 or 7 bowlers in front of me who would be selected

Need to have a good team moral first and foremost and i wouldnt fit that

I have found in the past that Australian teams are picked by who has been bowling the tournaments in Australia because this is where the national coach sees them performing on all different types of patterns not just the basic house pattern... I think this is the reason why you are seeing the same bowlers representing Australia because only a select few bowl all the tournaments.
You're not going to get selected for a national team if you are just bowling league, you need to put your name out there and give them a reason to choose you.

The national teams are selected by a group of coaches, not just the national coach and I believe it gets approved by the board.

Back
Top Bottom