Team USA Trials..... why arent we doing it

mattr

Been watching the Team USA trials on YouTube and i was wondering why arent we doing it here in Australia

They had 171 bowlers try out. I know that we wouldnt have that many but surely we could run something like this here. Bowl on 3 patterns over 2 days and each person pay XXXX and the remainder of the money be used to help fund the 6 people who make it.

Any thoughts?

Exactly the same way the Senior World Championship Team roll-offs are working end Feb. Except for the remainder of the money helping to fund the teams.
Roll-off entry only covering ther 18 games being bowled.

Using the same format for Adult teams selection. Now wouldnt that be interesting.

Last edited:
By far the best selection method. Take no.1 ranked bowler, 1 selection for anyone who can't make the roll off and deserves a spot and top 4 past the post at the trials.
Can't ask for fairer than that.

Overall there is 12 spots available in the Team USA Squad

The trials format is as below

6 Games a day for 5 days on 5 different patterns. Pinfall does not carry over

1st gets 1 point, 2nd 2 points etc to 171st getting 171 points each day.

Lowest total points over the 5 patterns determines the final positions.

The top 3 gain automatic selection in Team USA "Squad", they then have a Stepladder final to determine who will represent USA in the AMF World Cup and receive a nominal amount of prize money.

The national selection committee then chooses a minimum of 5 bowlers from Team USA/Junior Team USA within the last 10 years or the Top 50 PBA points list.

They also had summer trials in which the top 2 Qualifiers were added to the squad. Not really sure about the summer format, but it may have been used to select the Mens worlds teams

Then of the 12, depending on the Tournament, a number of bowlers are selected from the squad to represent Team USA.

This is much like a lot of the professional Asian Teams such as Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, etc choose their national teams, they all have squads of bowlers and then they select a team to go to that tournament. Of course all of these teams have a fair chuck of funding!

Great explanation Robbie, but I think Roysa was after details about how Australia choose their national squad. Having never been part of the NTS myself, I couldn't answer that, but perhaps you, or any of the other Aussie reps on here could explain the process for the Australian team.

EDIT: Spelling.

When I went away it was 18 game rolloff, 3 patterns of 6 games, top 4 past the post and 2 selections. That was in 2011

After that however it went to the NTS, not sure of the squad size but im pretty sure its selection based on performance over the period before competition, or along those lines.

But someone with more recent experience will be able to confirm!

The Australian adult teams are by selection. Currently the highest NTS member in the rankings from the previous year is given automatic selection and then a selection panel selects the remaining 5 bowlers.
In the past it has been the highest two NTS members.

You must be part of the NTS to be considered for the Australian team.

has anyone seen the new changes to membership that tba want to put in but the centres are not allowed to choose which they thought after a meeting they had they all have been told that either they choose what the tba want or be deregistered the atbc tried something to this back in the 80 and early 90's but only wound being liquidated themselves by the courts and federal government(I think back then)and tba want everyone who bowls socially to be members whether want to or not and you try to get someone back about no one does so what do you think about this you can check it out on tba web page.

matt58au1, go hijack another thread. We've been over the TBA funding model numerous times in other threads, go post there. It's all getting a bit old and is completely irrelevant to this conversation, actually to a point where mods should delete your post.

Not sure to be honest, could just be who is available to attend from the PBA as a lot of the guys travel to different events.

Probably just an invitation/availability selection.

Sooo, to get in the NTS, you need to finish in the top 5 of national rankings?

To get in the NTS you must meet some minimum criteria that is listed on the TBA website

The NTS is Australian bowling is certainly a step in the right direction, following the example set by other successful bowling countries.

Just look at the success from the Mens Worlds! Hopefully the women can follow suit this year!

personally I like the way they do the Team USA trials it gives opportunity to everyone to get in and have a go and try to obtain a spot at the national level, I mean why not pit everyone against each other over 5 oil patterns this ensures that only the most versatile and skilled bowlers make it through and for the ones who don't it will show them inconsistencies so that they may improve on their game.

Bowling shouldn't have exclusivity when it comes to opportunity. Not everyone can afford to be involved in ranked events wether it's money, time or both . There are many good bowlers who play in sports series, travelling leagues , tournaments, etc that arent involved in rankings that could handle themselves on various patterns. Open it up to those wanting a crack, look at the unknowns that performed well at the US trials.

At the end of the day the cream will rise but it would be great fun just being part of it.

Back
Top Bottom