TBA and GSTBA NSW State Championships, why head to head?

rpac23

Posse Court Jester
I'm hoping that this might get an answer as I know members of both TBA NSW and the GSTBA regularly read this forum.

Question is, why are both championships on the same weekend? Now that GSTBA's version no longer hold masters, why dont they use a seperate weekend to run their championships instead? Even late May sounds good over 2 weekends? Why does both have to be run on the same weekend? It's not helping anyone but having both head to head!

I heard ECCC will be in Sydney in 2009, why not make it more reachable to more bowlers? Who knows, TBA Nationals could be here as well next year. Bowling could really pick up again in NSW! But maybe i'm dreaming...

What does everyone else think?

both associations have always had state champs on the queens bday long wkd as fair as i can remember..

Plus the following weekend aswell so if your organised enough you should b able to spread it out over 2 weekends..

i did it for 4 yrs and had no probs.. for both ECCC reasons and Rachuig reasons..

I agree, you can spead yourself over both comps, but it's difficult when Restricted and even Seniors masters are on the Queens Birthday holiday Monday. I know it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks, but I think its more damaging to the sport when you have two major competitions on the same weekends and when they both can be used to qualify for different teams or masters.

lets not forget a major tournment in melbourne too

why cant the state get thee dates for this right

no one tournament bowling is heading in the wrong direction

Matt, if you're as crazy as I am and as my merry band of bowling freaks are, you'll find alot of stuff does collide. Every long weekend has a big tournament on. Wether its the Australian Open or the Melbourne Int'l Cup. A year has 52 weeks in it, there's plenty of free weekends to work around!

Hi Richard
There are a few organisations in Sydney that run Championships at this time of the year as well as State Team Roll Offs.
As Seniors play a large part in Open Tournaments and Championships their schedule needs to be considered as well.
As a Senior I rolled off for the TBA NSW Open Seniors Team on 10th May, bowled ATBSO Championships on 11th May, went to Darwin for the Open Arafura Singles on the following weekend and Bowled ATBSO Masters on 1st June. Next weekend I will bowl an ECCC All Events on Saturday, a TBA All Events on Sunday and Roll Off for the ECCC Open Team on Monday - unfortunately I wont be able to bowl the TBA Seniors Masters so I will attempt to qualify for the TBA Open Masters the following Weekend. On the 22nd and 29th June the ATBSO NSW Team Roll Offs are being held.
I was going to list what tourny's I had attended in March & April but I thought it might get a bit boring. I do know that there are very few weekends to spend at home - but that is my choice and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Matt, as far as I am aware does not bowl ECCC, therefore he can go to the Melbourne Tenpin Cup and bowl TBA Championships. Mary Bacon accommodates the Open Bowlers with an All Events Squad on the Saturday of the following weekend so that they can qualify for Masters as well.
As the Queensland Ladies Classic, which I normally attend is on the 22nd June I will not be able to make it this year and believe me I do hate to make a choice.
Unfortunately there is a clash on the Monday
TBA NSW has the country bowlers to consider, most of which are restricted and/or seniors, and it is too costly for them to spend 2 weekends in Sydney.
GSTBA could not hold the roll offs the following weekend because as you can see from above it would have clashed with much more - therefore some of us had to make a choice.
Hopefully we can take a look at the situation next year and try to improve.
As for the 2 organisations fitting their Championships in, I think they do a great job.
On closing I would like to suggest that these NSW "Old Dogs" can certainly perform their juggling tricks and teach you young'uns a trick or two.
I hope this is a little enlightening
Regards Susanne
:):):):)

Hi Susanne,

I understand you all have to pick and choose your times carefully, but I suppose the month of June is very busy. I wouldnt mind seeing Tenpin Sydney's version of the championships run earlier in the month or even in late May. But thats just me :)

I don't find it fair, but I think bowlers should be able to be free in what they want to do, instead of having to choose what to do.

As you expained, you can't do Seniors masters as you're doing the ECCC roll off. I can't do any sort of roll off because I want to do the masters on the Monday.

Next year we all should try and move dates around because ECCC is in Sydney, Darrell Holt is in ACT (only a 3hr trip, so NSW bowlers shouldn't have any excuses) and the TBA Nationals could possibly be in NSW too. So given the chance to be able to roll off in different tournaments, it makes it more competitive, and brings in more bowlers.

Thats my 2 cents

Some things will never change. People know that these events occur at a certain time every where and thats just the way it is.

This weekend up in QLD we have association challenge which brings men and ladies teams from all over the wide bay area together (60-70 odd bowlers). If it wasnt on im sure a few entrants from it would of like to goto Melbourne, but they know its on and they have choosen to represent the association. Just like they scenario which has been played out in Sydney on the June long weekend for years.

Long weekend's are the best time's to run many of these events and if they clash im sure it's not going to be the last time.

People have shared themselves over the events for years without complaint's.

This year i had to make a decision and work over ruled me rolling off for the QLD team, yes im disappointed but hey, it's a decision i had to make.

Good luck to all those rolling off for the NSW ECCC teams.

The SA State Champs and the ATBSO rolloffs have clashed in SA in the long weekend in March for the last 2 years. Luckily after the first clash the TBA added extra extra squads this year so that you could fit in an all events before the ATBSO rolloffs started. This which much appreciated especially by me as I was then able to do both but at least the opportunity was there. I made the ATBSO restricted team and later also made the TBA restricted team (I qualified to tryout because I had bowled an all events at the state champs). I was glad to get back to work on Tuesday for the rest. The Holt team rolloffs were luckily on a couple of weeks later.

Tenpin SA listened to what the bowlers wanted and made the necessary changes as far as possible. The Senior and Restricted Masters events were held a couple of weeks later at the same time as the Senior & Restricted TBA team rolloffs. The Open Masters event on the Monday did unfortunately still clash but some decisions have to be made all the time with bowling.

People have shared themselves over the events for years without complaint's.
You are so right Paul, just for a few people that have the odd winge everybody else can seam to do it withour a problem.
Good luck to all in NSW ECCC Roll Off's and Champs this weekend.

I wouldnt mind seeing Tenpin Sydney's version of the championships run earlier in the month or even in late May.

u say things like that then ppl that run tenpin sydney would just say why dont tbansw run there stuff at diff times....just the way it goes.

u say things like that then ppl that run tenpin sydney would just say why dont tbansw run there stuff at diff times....just the way it goes.

True, but TBANSW runs Sat & Sun for Singles, Doubles & Teams and the holiday monday for Restricted & Seniors Masters.

Since Tenpin Sydney uses their championships as a combined roll off, maybe they could hold the championships on the same weekend, and then hold the roll offs on at another time.

For example, I want to do both championships. Ill bowl TBA's on Sat, and GSTBAs on Sunday. Roll the TBA masters on Monday and the next weekend, or two weekends after, I can do the ECCC roll off.

Get what i'm trying to get at here?

yea i understand....
eccc use to be rolled off over 3 weeks when i rolled last...and to be honest...i much rather bowl champs sat and sun and then roll off on monday for the team...over and done with easier. i spose it comes down to priorities and what u would rather do more...

yea i understand....
eccc use to be rolled off over 3 weeks when i rolled last...and to be honest...i much rather bowl champs sat and sun and then roll off on monday for the team...over and done with easier. i spose it comes down to priorities and what u would rather do more...

Yeah, I understand that. But I don't think its fair that people have to choose one over the other.

Yeah, I understand that. But I don't think its fair that people have to choose one over the other.

Yeh well thats just the way things run mate.. always has and most probably always will.. People always have many different choices in life and this is just another 1 of those things.. Its not the end of the world if you miss out on trying for 1 team in that year you've always got next year..

Yeh well thats just the way things run mate.. always has and most probably always will.. People always have many different choices in life and this is just another 1 of those things.. Its not the end of the world if you miss out on trying for 1 team in that year you've always got next year..

Yeah, as the old saying goes, ISHT HAPPENS! :(

Richard relax, not everyone has the time or the money to try out for both teams, you also have to remember tba adn gstba are going against each other, what better way to get the bragging rights then to say we had more bowlers than you lol.

On another note, i would love to see a slight change in format. put another division in to cover the 175-200. as all it takes is a 160 bowler to have a good weekend and there ave helps, just idea is all.

See ya on saturday richard

In Queensland we now hold a Calendar night where all Associations, Centre Reps and major event holders come along one evening with their proposed dates for the following year.

Any clashes can usually be worked out and it works really well. We also try to work these dates into the Interstate calendar.
This benefits everyone from State right down to Local and avoids a lot of grief down the track.

We have already had calls asking when this years meeting will take place. Most people dont like going to meetings but this one is quite popular.
(Maybe because State office supplied Pizzas.)

Just bowl in which ever u think ur better off bowling... It's the it has been for a while now.... the public holiday is ample oppurtunity for eastcoast to hold there roll offs an championships... NSW championships isnt really trying out for a team is it? its more bowling for a spot in australian masters.. so take ur pick?? simple as that

From my understanding after today, both parties have tried working it out together. Maybe there is hope for the future :)

Hope I didnt rub anyone the wrong way with this.

Back
Top Bottom