Superstitions

The Reggae

Reading the Chain letter thread, got me thinking

"WHAT SUPERSTITIONS DO YOU BELIEVE IN OR HAVE YOU BEEN TOLD THAT SPRING TO MIND ON OCCASION?"

eg:
Breaking a mirror while bring 7 years bad luck
Walking under a ladder is bad luck
Putting up an umbrella indoors is bad luck

I was once told that putting shoes on a table is bad luck and will cause major conflict. Everytime I pick the kids shoes up and put them on the coffee table or bench I immediately have this pang of fear. Followed by "Oh my God that's bad luck"

Yeah, I've heard the shoe one as well.

The ones that I think of now and then are throwing the salt over your shoulder after you've spilt it and wearing a lucky shirt to the racetrack (or in a bowling tournament for that matter) for good luck.

Has anybody got proof that this stuff is true though???

1. crossing Knife and Fork on your plate ive been told is bad luck.
2. In cricket, if there is a good partnership going while batting, and you are padded up next to go in, you, A, cant move and B, cant take your pads off. this is a golden rule

My mum told me this. If you see a Black Cat cross the road, Stop !! If you don't it's bad luck rest of your life.
Now i know why bad things keep happening to me all the time. I must have crossed few cats along the way :mrgreen:

Dont walk under neath signs (it gives you bad luck)

or split a pole. ( if you are walking with someone and one person walks on one side and the other person on the other side it means you are going to fight.

Wearing a ring on your wedding finger b4 you are married is said to create 7 years of bad luck

The following are meant to be bad luck
Turning over the calendar before the end of the month
OR
Turning a desk calendar to the next day before you leave work
AND
Singing Christmas Carols throughout the year. That must be where our bad luck comes from because Khynan sings Jingle Bells ALL year round

These two where biggies in highschool.
Finding a folded potato chip in a packet is called a "Wish chip" and you are meant to make a wish before biting it. But you cannot touch it with your thumbs.
AND
If your clasp on your necklace falls down to your pendant it means someone is thinking about you. You are meant to kiss it slide it up to the back of your neck again...

We had a variation on the "wish chip". If you found a folded chip, you had to nibble a hole through the folded bit, without cracking the whole chip in half - if you succeeded, you could make a wish.

putting shoes on a table or counter is not a great superstition to hear about
if you are a control attendant or these days a bowling centre receptionist
in my case i must be up for a lifetime of bad luck one superstition i have
always upheld i would not let anyone wash my bowling towel. pew.

I Believe in this :

If your clasp on your necklace falls down to your pendant it means someone is thinking about you. You are meant to kiss it slide it up to the back of your neck again...

i have a friend who holds her breath as she goes past any cemetery cause she said its bad luck if you don't. meh - if its a big one she will be joining it soon by the sounds of things...

kay101 said:
i have a friend who holds her breath as she goes past any cemetery cause she said its bad luck if you don't. meh - if its a big one she will be joining it soon by the sounds of things...

When I was younger i got told you had to close your eyes, block your ears and hold your breath when you went passed a cemetery because it was bad luck if you didn't.

I used to change shoelaces on my bowling shoes before every tournament. Then I had a bad year and now I have the same laces on my bowling shoes I had when I bought them.

I have always believed that when I was little that I could never walk on the cracks on the ground because it was bad luck and now when Shontay and I go somewhere even in the shops she always says "Step on a crack ya break ya back, Step on a line ya break ya spine!". So we both walk around taking big leaps as steps when we go out together!

We had a variation of that one back in primary school. I won't say what the rhyme was due to it being racist but I think you all get the picture.

Whenever you see a coin on the ground you pick it up and have to say the following rhyme

Find a penny pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck.
Obviously it comes from way back because they refer to the coin being a "penny"

If this happens to me I pick the coin up, say the rhyme put it in my pocket and usually try to include that particular coin with my other money to buy a scratch - it or lotto coupon.....
No luck yet but we'll keep trying :D

We used to say that you couldn't pick a coin up from the ground if it was tails side up, or you'd lose both the coin you found and your own money as well.

So if we saw a coin that was tails-up, we'd kick it, until it was heads-up and then we'd pick it up.

Maybe that's where we are going wrong. All the coins we We probably pick are all tails side up!!!!

We'll keep an eye out for that from now on and then we'll buy our lotto and see how we go!

Back
Top Bottom