Lane Conditions at Nerang Bowl

E

Edwina

For those who don't know of me, my name is Edwina Wade and in 2002/2003 I was the Australian Ladies National Team Coach, both senior & junior teams. I have coached National teams in South Korea, Bahrain & Singapore. I have also spent 5 years traveling on the PBA, Sr. PBA & LPBT Tours where I coached several players. I am a Level 2 Dick Ritger Coach having done level 2 twice. I have also been to both the Bronze and silver level USA coaching accreditations. From 1989 to 1997 my husband and I ran 5 Pro Shops in Washington State in the USA as well as holding the contract for LANE 81 at the Reno National Bowling Stadium in Nevada when it first opened. At Lane 81 we conducted video analysis for approximately 3000 bowlers from around the world for 8 months during the ABC Nationals Tournament, the PBA ABC Tournament and the FIQ World Teams.

My comments below are as a concerned coach who would love to see bowlers take more responsibility for their game and lack of skills. If you don't want to practice and pay for a coach to correct your game fine, BUT don't blame the centre or lane conditions. :D
This is the opinion of a successful coach educated in the sport of bowling.

I have heard on many occasions that people won't bowl at Nerang Bowl due to Bad Lane Conditions, not enough oil.

To those people that have not been in the centre to bowl this year and have said this in the past my suggestion is to GO Bowl There.

To those who HAVE said it this year about Nerang Bowl my comment to them is GO Find Yourself a GOOD Coach.

Bowlers that have:
1. The ability to repeat a shot, that is exactly the same approach each time
2. Go over their target at the arrows AND
3. Get the ball to the same break-point on
i. The same board
ii. The same distance down the lane
4. Have a consistent thumb timing
Do have the ability to play the lanes at Nerang or any other centre.

On 3/2/03 Kate Wilton bowled 300 in league at Nerang Bowl. On 11/02.03 Derek Adams bowled back-to-back 300's in league at Nerang Bowl. Then again on 25/2/03 Derek bowled another 300 in league at Nerang Bowl. Kate's & Derek's 300's were done on different days of the week and Derek's were within a fortnight of each other. That would indicate that the lane condition at Nerang is consistent from day-to-day and week-to-week. I have been at Nerang bowl in the evening for league and then back again the next morning and the lanes are still the same as the night before with a few minor adjustments for lineage. This is attributed to the owners and staff at the bowl for doing a consistent job and doing it the same everyday.

I understand that bowlers bowl because of many reasons and whatever that reasons is it is their choice. But all of these people that are complaining about lane conditions should have their games evaluated. Mostly their evaluation of a bad lane condition is their own lack of skills to repeat shots and play a line on the lane with any ball that results in a score they deem acceptable. Also most people's spare games leave a lot of room for improvement. This also goes for any top-level bowlers or for that fact any member of the Australian National Team who also is a victim to the lack of skills to play certain conditions and then complain.

Oil is put on the lane to protect the wood in the first 15 feet from the impact of a bowling ball being bowled, chucked, and dumped, as it is release from a person's hand. The surface of the ball is also a factor that requires oil to protect the lane surface from being burned from the friction created when the ball touches the lane. Apart from some rules created by governing bodies in this sport, the owner is trying to protect his investment AND make bowling enjoyable for his customers. If the owner wants your patronage then he will put oil on the lanes in a manner that addresses the skills of the bowlers in his centre. BUT keeping all the bowlers in any centre HAPPY is the most thankless and endless job as everyone has different skill levels and opinions. Ask any owner of a bowling centre and LANE CONDITIONS are the MOST CONTROVERTAL topic in this sport. :evil:

To all the bowlers out there for whatever reason you bowl, you are being very disrespectful to the owners and staff at any bowling centre you bad-mouth due to your own lack of ability. You CHOOSE to bowl and you CHOOSE to bowl in a particular center, the owner DOES NOT FORCE you to be there. The owner has used their own money to invest in a BUSINESS and you are the fortunate recipients of having a bowling centre for your enjoyment in your area.

Granted there are centers around the world that due to lack of upkeep and poor maintenance are called DUNGEONS. BUT you also have a choice to bowl or not to bowl in those centers. If it is the only center in your town then you are at a disadvantage but going around badmouthing the lanes and centre is not going to improve your game or give you the reputation of being a sportsman/woman.

Before you next go mouthing off about lane conditions make sure your game is the best it can be and then put yourself in the owner's shoes.

WOULD YOU LIKE ALL THOSE BOWLERS IN YOUR FACE ABOUT LANE CONDITIONS?

If so and you think you could do a better job go buy yourself a bowling centre, I'm sure you'll change your mind. :oops:

Well done Edwina. One of the best thought out opinions I have heard in a very long time. Although it seems it may have been meant for Nerang Bowl, the same can be applied to many other centres around the country. You seem a very sensible and reasonable person. I wish you bowled at our centre. :) :)

Well said Edwina,
The ability to adapt to any condition is the sign of a good bowler. Whether it is bone dry or flooded it shouldn't matter. Sure everyone has conditions that they prefer and if they don't get them thats no reason blame the centre. I can honestly say that just about every centre I have bowled, and theres been alot in 20+ years of bowling, it has just come down to finding the shot that works. It doesn't always work but that just means you need to work harder. Besides, the challenge of making it all work is part of the fun. How boring would it be if everyone could throw 300's everygame?

Brett George

Edwina,

It's a shame you don't live up in North Queensland, because I would love to have someone like yourself as a coach.

Unfortunately up this way we have very few coaches who have the knowledge and experience to coach at an elite level, which makes it hard for bowlers who get beyond a 200 average and want to continue to improve. Do you have any suggestions ??

Cheers

Steve Hunt

Back
Top Bottom