Lane conditions at National events

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
So far this year we have had some interesting and diverse conditions

Australian Open: Ditch

Arafura: Tough

K&K: Ditch

Melbourne Cup: Tough

It seems to me that people in Australia would rather average 220 and miss the cut than average 205 and make a cut. Results have shown that the bowling elite in this country always seem to find a way to score and adjust their games accordingly to match up to whats given to them. The cream does always rise to the top.

When will people stick there hand up and say "maybe I should work on my game a little" instead of complaining after every weekend they bowl because their favorite 10 board wall of china was not present.

We are the only country who complain like this, nothing is mentioned anywhere else in any other country. You show up, bowl and do your best. If the scoring pace is 240, or 200, it doesn't matter, get out there and get the job done. We have such a bad attitude towards learning and adapting in this country its a wonder why we dont do that well at an International level.

A good friend of mine and ex coach gave me some of the best words of advice I'll never forget, very appropriate for this topic

"The lane condition never stopped the winner from winning"

Stop complaining and think about it!

Rant over..... :)

I basically agreed GF's points, and I don't think whether the condition should be easy or tough is an issue, the condition should close to the pattern, any changes of length or volume are not good.

Regards,
JP

Here, Here!

Well said George!!!

I think the problem is well ingrained into the Aussie culture though, look at the excuses and complaints after a MUCH SUPERIOR football nation smashed us in the football on Monday morning!

It wasn't that Germany played well, it was the [insert your choice here - ideas ... our coach, their coach, ref, linesmen, German supporters, ball, blade of grass out of place, all of the above, other ...]

:D

but on the flip side, if we had of fluked a win he'd be a genious!

Even with Guus we would have lost! Maybe not 4-0 (which should have been 8-0), but lost none the less.

Fingers crossed Ghana will not make the team bus and their forfeit will turn Pim from a villian to a genious! :p :D LOL

the condition should close to the pattern, any changes of length or volume are not good.

Regards,
JP

Why? Define good/not good.

Surely the best test of a bowlers ablity is when it doesn't play as advertised.

Who cares what the condition is. Everyone is on the same playing field. Yes people wont be suited and complain but just get on with it. Footballers compain about Etihad Stadium and all the injuries and grass moving but guess what. THEY STILL PLAY and get on with the job.

Deano

Good post but personally i think cream does always rise to the top and i enjoy bowling tournaments . I know i will get my butt kicked but i would rather average 200 in doing so and in my opinion it is better for spectators . Everyone differs on this view and everyone has a right to their opinion without being flamed so good post George.

Good words George, I hav bowled on this pattern for about 8 weeks now and enjoyed the challenge on league night. My average has come down but my concentration has improved. heard all the same from the 190-220 average bowlers about losing their handicap when they should be enjoying the challenge.
This was my fisr tournament attended, I was Liaison for the Malaysian Team , being on call 24 hours for driving , while they bowled I was monitoring lanes, emptying bins, giving you guys water etc. I did this as a volunteer to ensure the tournament ran well for my home center and all the bowlers had minimum problem.It would be good to get feedback on something other than the oil, we worked hard as we only had a handful of volunteers (usual) and we were on 15 hour days. So how about some feedback, constructive criticism welcome to improve on the tournament. I was lucky enough to score a Malaysian team top for my work with them, highly valued now.
My only complaint was 1 bowler being very rude to me about something so small, no need and does this bowler know I volunteered to do this and may reconsider volunteering next year after that, try and think what it would be like if we did not have volunteers (think about it) Enjoyed meeting you George, a true gentlemen and great ambassador to the game.
Hope to see you all next year (even the rude one) but this time I will tell you, but apparently others no of it ,, get over yourself , your just a bowler Ha ha !

Cheers

Brendan

You guys were volunteers? I had no idea. My hats off to all the lane marshalls that helped on the weekend. Giving up your long weekend for free to help the tournament is awesome. My hats off to you all!

As for the pattern, it was tough, it was a grind, it moved fast, so the bowlers had to make equally fast moves. The one thing that truly made it hard in my opinion was the ball returns, they were very wide and long which made getting fair enough left a great challenge. But, I'm all for making it harder. As a bowler, I would much rather need 50 over to cut, then 250 over.

Cheers, Cow

Couldn't agree more George... I said similar words in a thread regarding the ECCC roll offs in Vic. I put it down to the ego of some bowlers who would prefer to see telephone numbers alongside their name and not make the cut as opposed to a grind.

When will people stick there hand up and say "maybe I should work on my game a little" instead of complaining after every weekend they bowl because their favorite 10 board wall of china was not present.

Care to name names, George..?

We need harder patterns during league nights, not the ditches most of us encounter.

Hear! Hear! Amen to that.

As for the lane marshals at MTC, Good work guys and thank you. The tournament was running like a Swiss watch in both front and back ends, despite the low scoring pace, which slows things down significantly over 9 games. Well done.

Well the last few weeks at Blacktown bowl the lanes have certainly changed,a lot more tougher now,I have gone from Bowling 660-750 every week to around the high 500's into the low 600's. However one must note that a lot of bowlers are house bowlers that are either do not bowl anywhere else,or dont bowl tournaments,to them,it is irrelevant putting a tougher condition down.

Awesome post George!! Couldnt agree with you more!!
Personally i get sick of people complaining about the condition they are bowling on all the time. I think if they put more effort into bowling then complaining they would do much better!!

:)

Geez rating Arafura as a major:eek:. Oh and complaining at people who complain?? See my post about 'dweebs' House shots all round people, far less complaints!!!

The only people rating Arafura as a major is TBA. Don't confuse observations with complaining. The dweebs house shot? There was far more complaining done over the AO ditch than the Melb cup grind.

Care to name names, George..?

I think this would apply to over half the field. ;)

Hear! Hear! Amen to that.

As for the lane marshals at MTC, Good work guys and thank you. The tournament was running like a Swiss watch in both front and back ends, despite the low scoring pace, which slows things down significantly over 9 games. Well done.

I agree, the lane marshalls were great all weekend, ready for a chat, offering encouragement, they just wanted to see good bowling all weekend.

I have to admit, over the past two tournaments, just judging from the patterns I have got my equipment selection wrong in the last two, brought way to aggressive balls for Melbourne as I looked at the volume of oil, but that is the way it goes and I had to do things to adjust, my first block was rubbish, but I redeemed it the next day. I went and changed the surface on a few and it kept me in play. Its just what you have to do, make the best of what you have.

I also know I need to practice more to be better than where I am at, a couple of games a month in between tournaments, just doesnt cut it anymore like it used to.

Back
Top Bottom