Super 6 tourney this weekend..anyone interested. $4000 1st

Put my name down for the Sydney Cup today, hoped I could still get in B squad.
No problem I was told, you are entry 33. that's not for B squad, that's the whole event.

Time for some serious thoughts on major tournaments. AMF are putting in decent money but not getting decent entry numbers....is there something wrong with the product, price, format or what? Someone might as well tell them so they can get it right for next year.

Some bowlers have asked me what is Penrith like, I can tell you that at the South Pacific rolloff in 1988 it was a little dry. Sorry I can't give a more up to date description but that's the point. I can't remember Penrith having a major type singles event, and the ways things are going it probably won't again.

But seriously, it's $4000 1st place, $1000 for 7th and $550 (i think) for 20th.
There aren't many interstate entries.....and obviously the Sydney bowlers aren't jumping at the it either. Is this money not good enough? Or should the circuit be the Super 5 and finish with the SPC?

It's just a bummer for everyone, AMF, the interstaters with airfares booked and tournament bowling in general.
AF

I thought about this today .. the first Super 6 Event with small numbers ..

My only thought as to why bowlers wouldn't travel to this event .. is that after paying to get to Sydney by Air, + $300 entry fee, then it is a hike out west by cab to Penrith, then Accomodation and then back again.

Soon after Rachuig, just before Christmas.

Can some of the bowlers who normally do bowl let us know why they aren't bowling so something can be done.

I called Monday afternoon to find out this event only had 30 odd entries. I was very disappointed to hear that. I was looking forward to a great event.

Close to Christmas and just after Nationals could be a reason for small number of bowlers. I tend to believe it's the location. Not central enough to the Airport and combining the other issues of finances from Nationals & Rachuig and getting time off from work has made this event a disappointing end to this year's Super Six Series.

Randwick was probably the ideal AMF Centre for the event. Located only 10 minutes from Sydney Airport.

I agree with AF and Graham. As bowlers we need to support theses events. Not bowling for what ever reason it is cannot be helped, but something has to be fixed for next season. Tournament Bowling is declining fast and AMF need to come up with a solution for it to survive. I would like AMF to call a Tournament Bowlers Meeting to have our input into the solution for 2003.

NSW Grand Prix Events barely receive 50 entries these days. Why is that? These State events are good. To double your money for making the final is great.

Traveling interstate to tournaments is declining. The expenses are high and having to make top five to cover the expense of the trip is a big reason.

Something needs to be done and fast. Let's give some ideas?

could be losing some bowlers because the Country Challenge grand final is this weekend at Cambelltown. Then again this may not affect the top bowlers but I do know that Amanda and Micheal are at Cambelltown.

Yeah there is the one at Cambelltown, and i also know of one at Chester Hill.
I also don't know if it will afect the top bowlers but I think for large tournaments like this one, being part of the super 6 series, that it needs to be on it's own weekend.

I know that the sydney cup date has been posted in the calander for the whole year now. But the centers that are running these other events (Cambelltown and Chester Hill) need to look at what other major tornys are on. They to may get bigger numbers if they run them on diffrent weekends.

Bowlers can't be in 3 places at once!

Shaun.

Same people keep getting the same cash.... we plebs get pretty sick of being regular donators to the big boys.

Super Six

Does anyone remember the dates of the Super Sixes last year?

When was the last one bowled was it this late in the year?

This was the Canberra Open wasn't it so has it been moved from around May to this late in the year or was there another tourney this time last year? There's a few from Canberra who are saying they can't afford this one so close to the Brunswick cup/Christmas and a few others heading to the Mid Country grand finals. So maybe just a timing issue this time around. AMF have given us a great tournament series it would be a shame to see it die off.

Yes, im thinking that it should been left in May, as for me this is to close to rachuig, and with Brunswick cup...in 3 weeks, and xmas...., i think you may have to be made of money....or be a certain starter in the top 16..

just my thoughts
Mark Foster

milkman said:
Same people keep getting the same cash.... we plebs get pretty sick of being regular donators to the big boys.

I agree with the Milkman: Then to top it all off only those that made matchplay get invited to join the tournament team for drinks (crownies) and nibbles.

To the other 100+ donators who miss the cut, not even a thanks for coming and supporting our tournament, just rack off - you're not welcome to join us for drinks.

If anything these are the people that AMF should sucking up to so that they return with there $300.00 donation.

Ed Fleming Lanes at the Melbourne Tenpin Cup got it right as they really look after everyone that bowls. Free drinks and spit roast for all included in the $275.00 entry. AMF could take a leave out of their book.

Warnambool cup and Canberra International seem to have snagged everyone, i guess sydney was the one that missed out(not many interstaters for Warnambool but getting 70-odd vics in the same centre is a good job)
Maybe AMF have to spread the wealth a little more like Melbourne cup and strech it out to paying 1 in2(eg 60 of 120) or 1 in2.5(50 of 120) Top heavy prizefunds will frighten people off, especially at the end of a year when they have bowed 2 or 3 majors and have come up empty in them. In that situation some people are not going to want to put up another $300 to get their bum kicked again. Just looking back at this year in Vic some events went south, some got going, the common thread of the ones that worked? the 1 in 2 payout. Melbourne cup, 126 entries, 63 $ spots, Victorian Open 84 entries(full with reserves at the centre)42 $ spots, Warnambool 72 entries at this stage, 36 $ spots(i guess) all 1 in 2 payouts, all sucessful, it's worth a try all around the country to try and get tournament bowlers breaking the doors down to bowl in our Majors and whats left of the once huge semi major circut, give it a go TD's you might get a pleasent surprise.....

Sorry to say, Thai_Tiffany. But all bowlers have been welcomed to the after party function on the final day. They cannot get drinks and nibblys, also receive a thank you if they don't turn up on the final day to support and wait for the presentation. Most of them have the shits for bowling bad and decide to stay home or make other plans. Don't blame the tournament organisers on that one.

Sorry to hear that Sydney Cup was Cancelled. Now let's start working on a solution for 2004. With 2003 Calendar already in place, I sure it cannot be changed.

Cameron,

U really must not believe in your own ability to think of yourself as a donator.

just a thought here....
why not try different formats???
i know there are small differences like 2 day qualifying, as to the one day 12 game qualifying.. why not change it up a bit?
that may get more bowlers..i know it will be hard with only ever getting 2 or 3 days to bowl.
but hey its only a thought..
catchs ya lata.

Super 6 Becomes Super 5

Super 6 Becomes Super 5!!!!!!!!

UNFORTUNATELY the Sydney Cup 2002 was cancelled as you probably all know by now, and I was thinking to myself why?

Is it because of the format, Christmas what is the reason.

I do believe that this is the first Super 6 event ever to be cancelled, correct me if I'm wrong, and I'm sure everybody has there own individual reasons for not coming, Fees to High, Accomdation, Travel expenses, the list goes on, but what happens when you do have the money, but theres no event to go to? If the events will no be supported by the bowlers of Australia, then the events will die out.

I'am no longer a junior in the world of Tenpin, now i'm in the youth/adult bracket, and I was looking forward to my first Major event, but now not so much, I will have to make the SA CUP the first Super 6 I attend. I probably would of been a donator as Cameron put it so nicely, but on the other hand I would of gained a lot of experience, and I would have made the first step in the transition that so many juniors do not make. I did believe in myself to make my money back at least (30th)

I'am disappointed in people believing that they are donators, because you basically have lost your money before a ball has been bowled. You need confidence to succeed in this sport, the reason the same people make the matchplay every event is because they have that confidence, and they have put in the hours and have a solid game. Hell last week alone I bowled more games then I did at the whole Jinior Nationals, preparing for this event. I bowled 46 games. THAT IS ALOT FOR ME! I didn't really have the money, but I believed in myself saying I will be rewarded with a good performance on the day.

36 Entries for a National Event is not enough. So come on Australia, if we want Tenpin to succeed in this Country we not only have to enjoy it, we have to support it.

Seeya in South Australia..... You better be ready!

CSP

You obviously didn't bowl in the last 2 South Pacific Classics where the TD made a point of inviting those who made matchplay for drinks and nibblys ONLY.

They paid, they cashed, they ate, they drank and went home happy.

If you tried to sneak in you got marching orders.

The donators where most definitely not welcome.

YOU NOT EVEN GOING TO BRUNS CUP!

bboy said:
Yes, im thinking that it should been left in May, as for me this is to close to rachuig, and with Brunswick cup...in 3 weeks, and xmas...., i think you may have to be made of money....or be a certain starter in the top 16..

just my thoughts
Mark Foster

Last time I checked YOU WERENT GOING TO CANBERRA????????????
But, I do undersatnd what you said.

BTW, every body who has fox 8, watch out for bruv in his new starring role on CRASH PALACE next year, you go back packer boy! LOL

CSP is Christian Purdue and a quick look back showed he bowled in both events.

I seem to think what CSP is saying is correct. Everyone was welcome and noone was not allowed in.

True, it's a sad day for the Australian scratch bowling scene.

Who is to blame?..Your guess is as good as mine. Here are just a couple of ideas of the top of my head ( actually, I've given some serious thought to these)

1) Cost of entry has now escalated above a reasonable level. What we should be after is a shorter format. Less games means a lower entry fee!

2) Gone are the days of bowling just because you enjoy the competition. It's all about money money money..Some bowlers want the prize fund to be top heavy. Others wish the cash line extended to the top 50% of the bowlers.Personally,I love the challenge!
The money only means I can afford to bowl more often. Then again, I'd love to bowl for $5,000 + every tournament. I might even decide its worth coming out of retirement for.
What do YOU want?

3) We have no male superstars to look up to. Sure, we have Cara to emulate, but who wants to grow up to be the next Cara..Maybe it's time for some of our bigger names to put up or shut up and go bowl the PBA Tour in the States. After all, you're nothing but a big fish in a little pond unless you beat the best!

4) Could AMF be to blame? Yes, they have done their best to put up thousands of dollars for a Super Six Tour but cancelling the Sydney tournament scheduled for Penrith the weekend on account of a lack of entries is a BAD idea. Is AMF going to reimburse all the bowlers for expenses? ie: Airfares, etc? Cancelling this tournament at the last second sucks! There is NEVER an excuse for doing that..repeat NEVER!

5) And lastly..the reason I have quit the tournament scene is simple. I can no longer maintain a top level of bowling over the long formats being used nowadays...And I'm not the only one!

These are but a few of the possible reasons for the downturn of scratch tournament bowling. What are your theories?

Wayne Chester

milkman said:

thai said:
To the other 100+ donators who miss the cut, not even a thanks for coming and supporting our tournament, just rack off - you're not welcome to join us for drinks. .

Run brackets and jackpots guys, then they "can't hijack the tournament...", in your words.

Then you can throw your own "bracket party" and not invite them... :D

Back
Top Bottom