Newcastle Cup this weekend!

Michael Little

Hi everyone,

I have written the below in the tournament thread for NSW, but am posting it here, entries are needed for the Newcastle Cup. I highly recommend anyone who can and wants to bowl a tournament (as there are bugger all around these days) attend and let Dave know, book a squad and have a go! It is disappointing enough that some locals don't want to support their own tournament, so it needs other bowlers to support our only major tournament in the area.

I would suggest you all come and bowl at Mayfield, not many centres left like this in the world, a truly unique experience, I have been bowling there myself for over 10 years and have never had a problem with the overlane ball returns, may seem odd at first, but not as bad as they look.

Lane conditions are usually always pretty good there, the scoring on the weekend from the State League final seemed good early on with a noticeable transition, but the most important thing was getting the carry right as this is crucial in a centre like Mayfield.

Hope everyone can make the effort to attend. Dave is right, everyone carries on about having no tournaments to bowl, well here is one, less than 2hrs out of Sydney, less than an hr from Gosford and an hrs flight from either Brisbane or Melbourne.

Congrats to all the bowlers who supported this tournament, for any who weren't able to, what would make this more interesting to bowl in?

Was there anything clashing in Sydney that prevented bowlers from turning up. And as per usual, you had the mandatory people who just couldn't be bothered turning up.

Are people scared of bowling at Mayfield with the ball returns, would it be better to be held at Warners Bay or Rutherford?

Bowlers cry out for tournaments and here was one within reach of just about everyone and it isn't being supported, so suggestions would be welcome for the tournament organisers. I think it is getting harder and harder to keep these smaller tournaments running if they aren't supported.

Michael, they should have got rid of the Overlane when they spent all that money on the Lanes. It is not as hard as it seems, many Centres in the USA did it, Bankstown did it but that was a shemmozel, they could leave the overlane till it enters the Approach, than go under the Approach, they just need to dig out a bit of Concrete to make a channel.

I came up with an idea to extend the track for the Overlane across the Approach and put in a shorter Ball Return Unit, I was going to do it on lanes 1&2, but they took away the Ball Return Unit we had down the back to stop me.This was when AMF still owned the Centre.

willey

Back
Top Bottom