State Sports Awards

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
The annual TBAQ Sports Awards were announced yesterday.
There are 15 award categories in all, and there were nominations in 9 of these categories. The awards are as follows :

Service to Tenpin Bowling...............Bill Hart
Coach of the Year.........................Kim Mogg
Disability Bowler of the Year............Melinda Knowles
Junior Bowler of the Year Female......Bianca Flanagan
Youth Bowler of the Year Female......Jayde Flanagan
Youth Bowler of the Year Male.........Brandon Qualischevski
Adult Bowler of the Year Female.......Kate Wilton
Adult Bowler of the Year Male..........George Frilingos
Tournament of the Year..................Twin Tour

Congratulations to all recipients.
Andrew Shinnie Sec TBAQ

Committee Person of the Year
Volunteer of the Year
Senior Bowler of the Year Female
Senior Bowler of the Year Male
Disability Bowler of the Year Male
Junior Bowler of the Year Male

Incidentally, a change was made to the nomination procedure for the current and future awards.
Anyone can now nominate a person for these awards.
Previously nominees had to be decided by Local or Regional Associations.

Bianca flanagan aged out of juniors last year.

It would have been nice if bowlers and supporters from all around South Queensland recieved a nomination form to vote, or was it that they were all stuck in the office of TBAQ?

Maybe if people knew or had forms to nominate those six awards that had no nominations would have recieved some.

There are alot of other great bowlers and great coaches in south queensland who were probably not even nominated because of the lack of knowledge of these awards and the lack of advertising of these awards.

Maybe next year it would be nice if nomination forms were sent to all bowls as that is the heart of the sport.

Matt Simpson

I couldn't agree more Matt,

Maybe if we are trying to lift the profile of the sport maybe they should look at holding these state awards at a dinner function and have actual people attend to see the recipients receive these awards rather than a Sunday evening at a bowl where not to many people would attend.

I know if this was advertised allot better it would have been supported not only in numbers at an awards dinner but also in nominations as well.

Maybe with a function room, entertainment, and a proper MC (like Chris Bombolas) this could be a great evening had by all and a way to lift the profile of bowling in Queensland!!!!!!!

Hopefully this could be something to look at for next year and we could make this an event to mark on the Calendar!!!!!!

Jase

Forms are sent to all Associations and bowling Centres. This does not necessarily guarantee that they reach all the Bowlers as in some centres they are treated a little like Tournament entry forms.

I like your idea Jason of the awards dinner. This could be used to bring the game together and bowlers of all levels would have their chance to meet. You could have a roast portion of the evening as well for fun .... Bomber would love that part.

I remember bowling in a league where I won the horses arse award for the biggest drop in average during the league. The President couldn't wait to award it to me at a dinner, I didn't have an average and bowled 233 the first night, by the end of the league I was only averaging 218 but still got the award because I dropped the most. It was a fun night ...

You could have voting over the net via this media or email without the cost of forms and distribution. The use of electronic media could be used a lot more to save costs.

Also, the dinner could be used to fund raise for rep teams, I'd go just to have another drink with Conrad ......

By giving everyone the chance to vote, the state awards could turn into more of a popularity contest rather than the best choice for each award. I do believe that these awards do need to be better recognised, and the best way to do this is to have a dinner where everyone, or even a large number of invited guess could attend. More information and attention needs to be brought to this, and it would have been nice to have seen nominations for every category. Hopefully TBAQ could talk these awards up for next year, so that a large percentage of bowlers can have a say.
Just my thoughts
Hamish

Hamish that's a thoughtful post.
TBAQ would be very keen to have heaps of nominations for these awards. The idea of a dinner presentation has been talked about, it has even been suggested to hold it on an evening during the SQ State Adult Champs. The 2006 Champs are again scheduled for the South so there could be reasonable numbers.
To be successful though, any event needs someone to drive it.
Maybe it could be hosted by a Local Association? Some very successful Rachuig (& De Veer) Dinners were organised locally before the present National Body took over the evening event.

I agree with all of these suggestions. I have been a bowler for a very long time and I didnt even know these awards existed until I read this post.

To stop them from becoming a popularity contest they will require criteria to be met. Plus there should also be a popularity award, people who exhibit exceptional sportman like attitudes and conduct should not go un-rewarded.

I have seen these situations for so long, it needs to be resolved and for bowlers to realise and appreciate the good things people do to encourage the game.

There should be awards for services to bowling also, as some people donate their time for free for the good of others and they end up getting abused and then discouraged.

I am all for the dinner ........ the awards could be advertised early in the year and the votes collated during the year culiminating at the dinner after the State Champs, matbe you could present the Masters Champs at the dinner etc..it could be a very good night and well supported.

Terry,

Stay tuned !!!!

There is something in the pipeline!!! ;) ;) ;)

Andrew do you know where the state championships are held next year?????

Hi Andrew
This State Sports Awards does this only apply to S.Q or can N.Q get some forms ??????
:confused: :confused: :confused:

G'day Ned Kelly. Yes they cover all Queensland, North and South. We will make sure that all Associations, Bowling Centres and Committees get copies of Nomination forms.
The next awards will cover the period Jan 2005 to December 2005.

Back
Top Bottom