Sport Series 2006

Will u bowl the Sport Series next year 2006?

• yes

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • no

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters

bfcc

Ok we are starting to think about next years sport series and would like some feed back from the bowlers.
1 - will u bowl the series next year?
2 - what changes would u like to see ? ( and no i won't handicap carl :) )
3 - after the matchplay on the weekend , would u like more matchplay or just the 10 games?
Any comments would be great as we want to know what the bowlers want as the series is set up for the bowlers.
U can post here or send me an email at [email protected].

I enjoyed the matchplay - even if I was exhausted and bowled like a dog during it.

Changes - None that immediately come to mind - but I'm sure the other great minds out there will have some.

Observation only, Jeff - maybe one LONG OIL tourn, one SHORT OIL tourn, a couple of Sports Patterns and you just have to have the matchplay again - great to watch with the difference in attitude from qualifying.

Qualifying is like a 'how do I score on this tuff pattern and there is a good reason for why I can't - after all it IS a Sports Pattern !!'

Matchplay - 'I REALLY do need to bowl well on this as it IS matchplay and I need to win bonus points.' Instead of a bit of searching for the right answers to the condition, the focus shifts to winning matches - I love it !!!

Excellent entry fee, excellent prize money and great atmosphere also.....brackets ???????? Wot are they ????

2006 - may the battle continue and your series is a great contributor to our sport - see what a 'little' promotion can achieve in our sport ????

Flower

Jeff, Sport series is the only tornament where i can bowl 140 and say thats not bad, It takes people out of there comfort zones and into a realality check. I will be working hard on bowling straight at spares for Next season. Bring it captain

I think that the Sports series has been awesome this year & the matchplay was something definitely different.
I can't see anything to change at this stage, especially the matchplay. It is a great series and I hope to keep on bowling in it for quite a while yet.
Chris G.

I think the sports series is just awesome, even though ...well not everyone, but some of us, bowl absolute rubbish, and then bowl in league, and improve out of sight, unbeleivable , i shot a 150 average, was shooting better towards the end, but leaving splits everywhere, then went and shot a 236 average in practice, the only suggestion i have is that some people have to work or whatever on sundays, id like to see the chance of having a sat/sun squad like mt warren

hey Jeff this is just an idea ,as lane conditions can vary from day to day because of many factors such as weather and oil application ,maybe it would be fairer to do the following.

Leave the normal payout combining the 2 squads.

Play off:
the top 7 bowlers from each squad =14 bowlers.
15th bowler -next highest out of the 2 squads.

Thanks

I really enjoy bowling in the sports series, so yes I will be back next year.
Changes.. well I can't really think of any. I'd like to play some sports patterns on synthetic lanes. Any chance of getting one tournament to Aspley with their Kegel? :)
In regards to matchplay - I think it is a great idea, but unfortunately I didn't get to experience it on the weekend. Hopefully I will next time. Certainly adds a different aspect to it. Probably can't be done, but what about having head-to-head matches from the start, that way everyone gets to experience it, and give bonus points for a win same as usual, then change opponents for the next game. I realise you couldn't play against every opponent in the field in 10 games, but maybe you could use the system that the K & K Classic uses in the first elimination, where 3 (or 4) bowlers bowl on a pair, and according to the 3 (or 4) bowlers scores, they are allocated varying bonus points. Just a suggestion, not necessarily a viable one.
The other thing I would like to see come back is the overheads of the patterns before the tournament on here ;)

Jeff,
It's a great series and one i hope you can keep going for many years to come i think in time the numbers will grow even further. I know i will try my hardest to support it for as long as i can.

I for one enjoy the fact that the tournament format/venue/and pattern change all the time. I agree with Mary that from an observation points of view, as i was looking around at some of the people on or near the cut line with two games to go on the weekend and seeing the stress on there faces knowing that this wasn’t a condition that you string together strikes so they were looking to just keep it tight and clean and close frames, and if they did they knew they would be a good chance of featuring in the match play. On an open condition not carrying so to speak could have cost them this opportunity and consistency was and is the key to this series. I for one would like to see more of the match play chances just now have to work on trying to make them.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The 9-pin wonderboy said:
The other thing I would like to see come back is the overheads of the patterns before the tournament on here ;)

I disagree with this totaly as it’s a way to rort the system. I prefer to not see it at all! Practice on it all you like after the event but not before.

Jase said:
disagree with this totaly as it’s a way to rort the system. I prefer to not see it at all! Practice on it all you like after the event but not before.

Jase old buddy

When you bowl Rachuig, is the pattern advertised? When you bowl SPC etc, is the pattern advertised? Does this allow you to rort the system?

I would prefer to see the pattern at least at some stage, (even after the event) otherwise how can you possibly learn from a pattern that challenges you and you don't know what it was? Bowling on mysterious patterns is all very well in challenging one's comfort zone but you only learn to handle that pattern by a reference point, that is the diagram of the pattern itself, complete with units of oil both side ways and length ways.

Do you agree?

Feral

Feral said:
Jase old buddy
When you bowl Rachuig, is the pattern advertised? When you bowl SPC etc, is the pattern advertised? Does this allow you to rort the system?
I would prefer to see the pattern at least at some stage, (even after the event) otherwise how can you possibly learn from a pattern that challenges you and you don't know what it was? Bowling on mysterious patterns is all very well in challenging one's comfort zone but you only learn to handle that pattern by a reference point, that is the diagram of the pattern itself, complete with units of oil both side ways and length ways.
Do you agree?
Feral
Hey Feral,
Totally agree with what it is your saying, about learning from that pattern, but please it should be AFTER THE EVENT AND NOT BEFORE!

Yes there are major tournaments out there that even put the pattern down as well prior to the tournaments being run!

This doesn’t mean i have to agree with that either!!!

How is this fair on interstate competitors that cant have time off work to have the same practice that the others are getting, they are still playing for the same prize fund and paying the same entry fee why should they be disadvantaged?

I am a big believer in the fact that you have entered a tournament in a particular squad hoping that the other squads have the same condition, and that NO ONE has being given more of an opportunity then any one else in that tournament (or a heads up) so to speak to give them an advantage over somebody else, prior to the event.

Just mt two cents anyways

Unfortunatly i havent been able to bowl one of these events yet, but im lookin at bowling some in the short future. Count me in for at least one of them next year

Feral said:
Jase old buddy
Do you agree?
Feral

dont have a go at me here because im not at you
i know i havent bowled for 6 years
but i remember in 1994 i went up the coast to mudjimba for a state junior camp adam lack would remember maybe !
we were brought to the lanes after they had been bowled and then given some paper with lanes drawn on it and told to bowl and tell them how they were oiled
i was told next time figure it out in the warm up to a game :shocked!:
i never could that quick :oops:
besides i got there when they were still oiling the last 2 lanes being a junior mechanic at the time i cheated and saw the last 2 patterns ! :-\" :wink:

Hi Jeff,

Do we have dates available as yet for 2006??
Any thoughts on the format (after reading these posts)?

Thanks

Rhyss.

I hope we don't have events on the weekends of 26th March and 2nd April. I'll be in the lovelly New Zealand on hols doing a walk and I don't want to miss any events.

I am looking forward to the events this year. On the oil condition thing, it really doesn't matter I just enjoy bowling in the events as they are challenging and if it's an issue then don't publish it. I doubt either way it effects the results much.

Looking forward to the first one ....lol

Back
Top Bottom