Sponsership

cindyd

cindyd
Just tossing around some ideas for sponsership.
The question i would like answered is " What does every Tenpin Bowler use or need whether they are a League Bowler or a Representative Bowler ,Youth ,Adult or Senior.
This is besides thier Bowling Equipment.
Thanks Cindy Donnelly
Garden City Lanes Tenpin Bowl.

Costs of a being a member of a representative team include:
airfares / petrol
car/bus hire
accommodation
uniforms
meals
practice games / coaching
Also many could also benefit from mental support/team bonding sessions and increased ability to stay focused.

We also need Sponsership for prize money.
Because people arent going to bowl something where 1st place is $500, if that had Sponsership it could be like $700-$1000

Sponsorship could also include incentive rewards for bowling better, or pushing the sponsors product in turn for better rewards.

I don't think sponsors should have to cover tournament cost, however I do agree with sponsorships covering team costs (like the rediculous amount shield & rachuig bowlers have to fork over) My main point being that sponsors will only give what they can afford to give, otherwise the incentive sponsorship arouses in the first place will become outweighed by the extra costs of sponsoring someone.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is going off in the wrong direction.

I think what Cindy is trying to find out is what sort of businesses to approach for bowling sponsorship. Be it for just league bowlers or representative team bowlers.

Liz

Re: Sponsership ... Sponsorship

Correct spelling would be a good start.

Thanks for the correction I picked it up straight away but to busy trying to find a solution rather than rewriting my thread.
Cindy.

my approach is to ask anyone big or small you never know when one of those smaller businesses will become bigger

approach any business where the centre can offer advertising space within the centre by hanging banners etc that way the prospective sponsor's business can be seen by all and sundry going through the doors of the centre and the buisness will see an obvious value for money.

In that case, you have to ask your self - what is sponsorship for? It's for the advertisement of some product.
You can approach any business with promises of publicity for the company. Our center has gone as far as getting a bull dozer hire company to sponsor part of our championships, in turn they get ads placed on the front of the sweeps. We've recently aquired an oporto store (ours is not as good as the one I tried in sydney, thats for sure) & they will be taking part in sponsoring our championships this year as well.
Bowling proprietors will often approach companies who realize what bowling is & can be, though. One good thing about small region bowling - a lot of people who own small businesses have more than likely bowled league, & are usually always willing to help out with sponsorship.

that's exactly it, centres utilitising wall space, sweeps, space along the wall above the machines wherever to place an advertising sign for a period of time. that time is then charged and becomes the sponsorship money for whatever. 6 signs at $200 for 3 months drops $1200 into prizefund for annual championships and masters for example. its a case of centre and association working together for the common good. this is what TBA need to do with all centres, they need to be able to promise a national or international corporation space in all centres for signage and then go out and get these sponsors, the reveune will end up back in the centres whichever way you look at it. its a win win situation for all the parties of bowling.

Spelling to ... too

Hi Cindy

I have sponsored bowlers in the past and at present, through my stand alone pro shop and coaching services in Newcastle.

I can assure you that submissions with spelling errors are put in the BIN.

The first question is ... what can you offer my business?

Without dropping names, but Ann-Maree Putney has been with my business for 16 years. Multiple World Champion etc etc etc.

I gather from your bio, i.e. bowling centre owner that you are after sponsorship for the centre or maybe individual bowlers?

Hope this helps

Geoff

Tobacco companies were great sports sponsors. Pity that they had to get racked. It sure cut down on smoking though :rolleyes:

Maybe some liquor producers/sellers could get on the bandwagon. They have good products worth advertising. Worth a try until binge drinkers spoil the party :(

Some centres do have permanent advertising boards. Most of these are local businesses.

The idea of selling advertising space seems to me to be a good idea to boost available funds for tournaments (i.e. if the funds are put aside for that purpose).

Good luck Cindy - I know your heart is in the right place (spelling can be left to the proof readers!! ;))

Firstly GBS i would like to commend you on your sponsoring of Ann-Maree i am sure she is very grateful for this help. Secondly i would never throw a ask for help in the bin because of a spelling error as we are all human i hope.
As for thinking i wanted this information for my centre or any individual bowler wrong.
I am tossing around a idea to help our Australian Rep Team Bowlers (Junior ,Youth, Adult ,Seniors) to go away. The idea that they have to pay to do this is very sad. Not everyone can come up with this money let alone at short notice. I have a successful Centre as well as 2 other successful business which helps as i have 2 Children involved with our sport 1 at Rep Level and 1 just starting and it is not a problem to fund them for their sport but not everyone is that lucky.
Back to my original post my idea won't help this years Reps but maybe next years i would like to do a "Support our Sport" Calendar.
Every household and business have 1 of these so if we could put one together to sell it would be great.
Jan could feature Belmo,Feb - a bumper bowler holding thier first award or trophy, Mar- Every day League Bowler,April- A Senior,May - A Disabled Bowler etc.
We could make it personal have on it where a League or Rep Bowler could write thier weekly High Game or Achievement.
I feel our sales for this will mainly come from Bowling Centres and League Bowlers.
The reason i posed the question about what League or Rep bowlers need was to to get an idea of who to ask for sponsorship to help with printing the more help the bigger the profit for our Reps.
I was thinking more along the lines of deodorant,socks, undies that don't creep up your butt when you bowl etc.
Please keep the ideas coming as most that has been posted is very important to Bowlers and could be followed up down the track.
Iam awaiting a price to have these done and will get an idea from there to whether it could work.
Cindy

My goodness Cindy, looks like you will get a Fail Mark on your last Post from Geoff the School Teacher(really).

Now for your Real concerns, Sponsorships for the Junior Reps. Geoff alluded to his help of Ann-Maree but I know Her Mother spent many an Hour, standing in Shopping Centres with the Mother of Robert Thompson and others, selling Raffle Tickets, to support their Sons and Daughters, to get the funds to help their Representative duties. As a Business Person you will know that using Money for Advertising cannot be wasted if you don't get results, therefore any Sponsorship you make to Rep Teams, must have a result through Newspaper stories or better still Television Coverage of the Sponsors Name and Business.

The trouble with todays Print Media is that the Bowling Centres do not Advertise on a regular basis, that being Local throw overs or larger Newspapers, therefore you cannot expect them to support a Sport that fails to use their Services, with stories and pictures. This than makes Sponsorship invisible and a total waste of money.

Until the Big Bowling Companies, start to Advertise consistantly with the Major Newspapers and the smaller local papers, the situation will not change, thus using Advertising money from Companies, will not happen if they cannot see some results in the Print Media.

Saying all that, if you do Advertise your Centre in the local Papers, you should be able to exert some Leverage, on such Papers, to run stories with pictures, this will help to get Sponsors for your local Reps and they won't feel they have just thrown their money away.

willey
p.s. how many mistakes did I make Geoff?

Cindyd - your motivation is wonderful and your passion to be applauded - well done..but if I may give you one small piece of advice - as someone who has seen hundreds of applications for sponsorship over the years [and written more than my fair share too I should add] - you only get ONE chance at making a FIRST impression. If you keep that in mind when you do your submissions - it will help you stay on target with your content and presentation..both of these are all important. Also, there are some "tricks" to ensuring the reader of your submission stays with you when reading it and does not toss it in the bin after the first paragraph...sadly these are best learned by making a few mistakes first.

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom