spc oil pattern

peter56

peter56
just thought i would post the question and find out from some of the other bowlers about the pattern that was put down because with a bowler like me that hasnt got a big shot i wont be bowling on a pattern like that again

The shot was tough for the "big shot" players too. I have no problem with a grind out from time to time and that is what we were confronted with this weekend. I still believe we are too accustomed to walled up house shots. This weeks shot required accuracy more than anything else, which we haven't required too often this year. I missed out because i wasn't accurate or consistent enough on a tough shot. End of story.

I agree Brenton its a grind! The thing about oil when heavier like spc its the great equalizer. I found it refreshing to some degree as I had think for a change.The conditions exposed any weakness in all who bowled this weekend.
Believe it or not we all should have learnt something about our game because of the pattern.....

after sitting at home and thinking about it more i will just have to work on my game a bit more and learn to adjust to a condition like that which i know i can do and you are right renta it showed that the much better bowlers do have a weakness

Everyone has a comfort zone...some love bouncing it off the house wall, some love playing the edge....some love standing on 38 board and playing 5th arrow. How good you are depends on how good you can score when taken out of the area you like to play. Gives you a much better indication on your game than a Boronia league shot or AO condition. Having said that, i didnt bowl so I dont really know what you had to deal with.

I'm sure Brenton Davey and a few of the more "Senior" bowlers will back me up, when I say it was like going back in time to say 10 years ago,and the old TBA, when there wasn't a "walled up shot" in Tournaments or league.
Everyone had to work to score, not like it is today.
In qualifying @ SPC, accuracy, consistency, and selecting the right equipment paid dividends. Otherwise, if you threw a bad shot, you paid for it.
Bowlers of today have been spoiled by inflated scores and easy shots in league.
This is a taste of the real world.

Thats a good question Peter the thing is if you ran this pattern & the scoring continued to be low it will have a toll & by this I mean in numbers ... The trouble is when we bowl we like to score & none of us like to avg 160 on lanes ....There would be a toll & that would be people prepared to turn up to such lane conditions. I am not saying its wrong to do it !!! But I can say that the number of entries will fall....I believe that bowling is slowly getting better numbers due to the scoring that has been of late.The more people feel they are rolling better the more they feel they can perform in tourneys .........

Its called confidence !!!!!

one of the reasons for me talking about this is that i have been getting coaching since sept last year and its improved my game a lot but after bowling in that condition i feel now im getting knowhere i felt realy good about my bowling i will just have to get my coach to work with my game under that condition

one of the reasons for me talking about this is that i have been getting coaching since sept last year and its improved my game a lot but after bowling in that condition i feel now im getting knowhere i felt realy good about my bowling i will just have to get my coach to work with my game under that condition

And this feeling is exactly what is causing tournament numbers to decline in my view. Why? You get coaching, you work hard on your game, you bowl well in league, and then you feel confident enough to step up to the bigger tournaments and give them a go and your game turns into a trainwreck after less than a game in qualifying. Why? Because you can't accustom yourself to bowling on tighter patterns outside of these tournaments. All you ever get in centres on a day to day basis is a walled up free hook house shot.

Yes there are sports series tournaments in just about every state now but bowling on those patterns once every two months isn't going to make enough difference to your game.

So this brings us to four options:

1) Get rid of walled up house shots and create a national guideline for sanctioned league conditions (I think this is the best option for the future of the sport).

2) Start up sport leagues

3) Stop putting down tough grinding conditions at national events (I'm not saying that I recommend this).

4) Leave it all as it is and watch the numbers dry up to nothing over the next few years as people fall away because they feel like they have no chance of competing and improving their game against the top few for the cost involved.

The thing is 99% of league bowlers don't want to step up to tournament bowling... they don't care about tournament bowling. Why would they want hard conditions? They'll leave that centre and go somewhere else

The thing is 99% of league bowlers don't want to step up to tournament bowling... they don't care about tournament bowling. Why would they want hard conditions? They'll leave that centre and go somewhere else

Your right Porto they piss & moan & packup to move to another centre.
Many on the weekend spat it saying what is this we have to bowl on.
From what I have been told it will be like it when they Rep for aust overseas.
Someone suggested that they should have made it a fair bit easier & let the winner practice on the hard condition before going over..

That's why I'm saying make it a condition of sanctioning. That way it will make little or no difference if they go down the road. Eliminate the ditches altogether.

That's why I'm saying make it a condition of sanctioning. That way it will make little or no difference if they go down the road. Eliminate the ditches altogether.

Not a bad idea, but it might make people leave the sport altogether, and numbers are already way down. Losing bowlers like this who have inflated egos because of easy house shots doesn't sound like such a bad idea to me, however bowling alleys are interested in making money so they're not going to like the idea. One of the biggest problems I see facing bowling as a sport is that bowling alleys are a business and therefore their main priority is making money. Credibility in scores and/or credibility as a sport are secondary considerations. It's unfortunate but that's our sport and I don't see any way that this can be rectified. Maybe the sports leagues are the way to go forward as then only the people that take the game seriously and want to progress will play those leagues and everyone else who just wants to play socially or wants to hide out on house shots can do that (However high game and score awards should not be awarded unless the league is played on an approved TBA sport pattern). Therefore leagues on house shots are still available but they can't defile or contaminate the record books like so many have already.

That's definately an option, however with regard to the point about people leaving due to the tightening of conditions - many people on here and on other sites around the world claim that numbers went into decline when reactive gear came into play and the sport was "cheapened" with easy lane conditions. If that is true, then the sport should start to go the other way again if this policy is introduced.

Also, with regard to running the sport leagues for the more serious players and leaving the ditched up leagues for the less serious league bowlers, this creates a problem in that to the world outside bowling, "a 200 average is a 200 average". We know that's not the case, but they don't.

The problem already exists in the US with the PBA Tour. They work hard to average 220+, but to the average league bowler at home averaging 220 in their ditched up league house, they go "what's the big deal, I average as much as they do, I should be a Pro" and hence interest in the Pro Tour declines...

The same could happen here, especially with bowling getting back on TV in some cities. I still think the best solution is a national policy for all TBA accredited leagues....

Making the pattern easy at the top level is like holding the US PGA OPEN on a par 68 4000metre golf course. Tiger will be restricted to using his putter off the tee to keep the ball in play.

Penalising players with a strong release just because the majority of bowlers don't have one is NOT a good way to promote bowling as a sport. I can just forsee the AFL next year penalising people for kicking goals from outside 50metre arc because not everyone can kick 50 metres.

This just in, Formula 1 racing will not allow air in the tyres of any F1 car next year, because not everyone can drive that fast!

Peter, the Victorian Sports Series provides every bowler in the state tough lane conditions to experience. Perhaps we will see you at the next one so you can furthur experience a hardy challenge? The key is accuracy, speed control, and breakpoint adjustments. Are you good for it? Do you want to become the best you can be?

It is time Australia caught up with the rest of the world. Lets continue to challenge the best on the toughest!

I think for the sport to evolve and to eliminate ditched-up lane conditions for both leagues and tournaments, it has to be taken in steps......

Sports series tournaments is the cure for the Major Tournaments. It's not all about challenging the best on the toughest conditions, its about all bowlers of every level gaining experience on tough conditions to better prepare them to be able to compete with the best in majors.

Same with leagues. Sports leagues are the way of the future and the long term cure for league bowling. The more bowlers who experience tougher house conditions better prepares them for sport series tournaments, gaining more experience to prepare them for major tournaments.

Tenpin Bowling in Australia needs to be patient. Before any move is made to make all tournament and league lane conditions tougher, we need to give Sports Series tournaments and Sports leagues a chance to be a major success. Once that happens then TBA can start creating a national guideline for all league and tournament conditions. Any radical changes made now to tournament and league conditions will only mean losing bowlers.

For the sport to evolve, bowlers need to evolve but that is going to take time. It starts with promoting and getting people involved in sports series tournaments and leagues.

Just my opinion.....

Its all fine to want tighter conditions but do you think centres will want to lose their bread & butter leagues ..I dont think so !!!!!
What bowl would do this for a select few in the overall scheme of bowling.

It will all boil down to this $$$$$$$$$$....

Back
Top Bottom