South Queensland Bowlers Clean Up At K & K Classic

Graham

Staff member
by TBA Media Director - Lynne Clay

South Queensland bowlers Brandon Qualischefski from Buderim on the Sunshine Coast and Rebecca Simpson from Loganholme, south of Brisbane "cleaned up with K and K" at the inaugural K & K Classics tournaments held at AMF's Kedron Bowling Centre this weekend.

Organised by popular promoter, Mary Flower and generously sponsored by commercial cleaning company K & K, the twin tournaments were billed as Two Tournments in One, with the substantial prize fund of over $15,000 and the opportunity to earn TBA national Rankings points attracting entrants from around the country.

23 year-old Rebecca Simpson held off a concerted challenge from overnight leader Sue Cassell from Shellharbour to clinch the magnificent trophy, first prize cheque, and free entry to the 2005 event. Simpson averaged 190.29 in today's seven games of matchplay, finishing on 4007, 77 points ahead of reigning TBA Masters champion, Narelle Baker from East Doncaster in Melbourne. Matchplay bonus points delivered a ten point advantage and second placing to 31 year-old Baker, after equalling the pinfall of third placegetter, Sue Cassell in today's matchplay. A career-first 7/10 split conversion was a highlight of the tournament for Cassell who has represented Australia on many occasions since the age of just 14.

In the Men's Division, 22 year-old Brandon Qualischefski showed consistent form throughout the weekend tournament, taking top honours in both Qualifying rounds and today's Matchplay. Gold, Silver and dual-Bronze medal winner at last month's ABF Youth Championships, Qualischefski posted a 5459 total pins and points bonus score and an overall tournament average of 208.36. Today's win reinforces the lead that Qualischefski currently holds in TBA's national Youth Rankings.

Disappointing scores in Games 5 and 7 today relegated 34 year-old Carl Bottomley from Regent's Park in Brisbane to second place on 5314, despite a stunning matchplay average of 222.29 today. Bottomley's 289 in Game 4 today was the high game of the tournament. Toowoomba's Zane Que narrowly overtook Melbourne's Paul Trotter to finish third on 5264.

"Brandon and I won the (Junior) Australian Masters together in '98, so it was a little bit of history repeating itself" said a happy Rebecca Simpson after her win today. "After my 280 game during the Rachuig tournament at last year's Nationals, something clicked in my head and I really want to do well….I've been training hard and it's paid off" she added.

Full scores can be found at www.tenpin.org.au

Back
Top Bottom