Shield success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice Maiden

Congratulations to the WA President's Shield boys team for finishing 2nd. A fantastic effort by everyone to do our state proud. The girls put up a great fight and we are proud of all of you.

A special congratulations to Tom and BJ for finishing 1st and 5th in All Stars, its been a long time since we've had 2 in the top 5 (Gary will be proud)

Good luck to everone bowling masters tomorrow, hope to keep the results coming

The Woodcock Family

congrats to you guys, you all bowled so well, well done to tommy mac and bj for allstarring, well done guys a hard earned title you have both very much deserved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, been along time.

Just like to congratulate the W.A Shield Team on a fantastic effort, been a while since we've seen our name up in the lights. Also a huge congratulations to my little brother Tom McLoughlin on topping the All Stars team, you worked extremely hard the past few months and you deserve it, i haven't been home to see your work in action but i know how hard you work, proud of ya little man. Also to Tom and BJ's coach Gary Gilmour, Gary has been with you guys every step of the way, through thick and thin and you wouldn't be were you are today if it wasn't for him, so Gary, your a legend.

I would also like to thank the coach of the W.A Shield team Ken Thompson for coaching a fine team of young bowlers, many on their first try through what they will believe as their greatest sporting moment so far. You helped these guys on and off the lanes (as you did with me) and im sure their greatful for what you have done for them, thank you.

Congrats to BJ aswell for making the team, you were down with Tom every Saturday working your butt off to achieve this and you have. You 2 should be proud of what you have done and be proud you have done it for yourselves but also for W.A.

Seeya when ya get home.

Ben McLoughlin :D :D :D

5 years... 5 long years since a WA team (boys, girls or combined) brought back some shield silverware!!!

The drought for WA is finally over. Congrats to the WA boys. 2nd is a phenomenonal effort - especially with a group who this year were losing their shield cherry! You guys have done yourselves, your coaches, family and the whole of WA proud.

To BJ and Tom, an absolute awesome effort to make allstars. You both fully deserve it.

Oh and a special mention to Little Macho (Luke) - it was great to see you finally made the team at the trials, and its even better that you have a lasting memory to hang around your neck. Congrats bud!!

To the girls, the important thing is you gave it your all. You should be proud of that fact alone!

Again the coaches and managers should be highly commended. Taking such a young inexperienced group (which on paper no one would have predicted this result) and leading them to this success is a huge effort. Thommo, Taffie, Sally and Russ i'm sure the boys and girls owe you a huge debt of gratitude!

Good luck for all who are in the Masters today and tomorrow... Lets hope the success roll still continues :D

I do not mean to put a damper on everyone's jubilation, but did W.A. finish in seventh place overall?

I thought that the President Shield was for the best state in boith divisions, boy and girl, i can not see what there is to celebrate for finishing seventh out of ten. that means, that there are six teams that are better than us, and only three teams worse than us.

dont get me wrong, the boys, from W.A did a fantastic job, and had the second highest team average of 194.9, behind SQLD boys of 197.1, but the girls lackluster performance of team average of 165.2, is the highest difference between the boys and the girls teams of all the states. Western Australia had the highest difference in averages between the two divisions in the competition.

it is my belief that this is not good enough and we should be saying, where did we go wrong, what training methods do we need to change to improve both teams and get both teams into the top two positions.

Well done the boys, especially Tom, Bryant and Matt, for getting in the top ten postions by points won, and those three are the ones who bowled well over their entering averages.

Open Question

What gets the team the points in President Shield Tournament?

a: high scores
b: winning the game

Answer

b : winning the game

This is why my suggestion for future allstars teams should be made by most points won or a win/loss percentage on games played.

Does anyone agree?
or disagree?
and what is your reasons behind your opinion.

Ian Jones

i can not see what there is to celebrate for finishing seventh out of ten.

I did not see anyone celebrating the fact they came 7th combined, yes the Presidents Shield is awarded to the combined winners, but medals are still awarded for both the Boys and Girls divisions. And no one can take away the fact the boys did come 2nd and derserve to be congratulated!!

Well done Boys, great effort!

[/it is my belief that this is not good enough and we should be saying, where did we go wrong, what training methods do we need to change to improve both teams and get both teams into the top two positions
The girls team average was 165, which is expected from a team fo 160 average bowlers. No training within the shield team is going to lift the girls averages, in such a short amount of time. The girls if they want to be better need to work on their games with in indivual coaches for the long term.

;) In response to ososober

So as there is no confusion this is not Ben its his and toms dad, I dont bowl but like a lot of parents I watch a great deal, juniors, youth, adult de-veer, atbso, FUN, remember that word, encouragement ever heard that word, I dont live in a tea-pot with rose coloured windows, but I do know one thing, every single person that attended shield this and other years go to try their hardest,they all have one thing in common, age and a distinct lack of it! Some carry responsibility while some dont, thats why at this level its still trying to be fun, in preparation for when its not fun and theres gonna be a lot of that if you get your way.
Some are in the middle of exams,some of em are away from home for the first time, and they come home to see a legend in his own lunch box slagging them off.
Grow up and have the courage of your convictions to stand up and aim your venom where you want it to go, stop hiding behind the kids like a coward because your bitterness fools no-body.

With that aside Im his dad so I would like to congratulate Tom on what we understand to be a pretty big achievement, we dont think a WA bowler has ever topped all-stars, and he could be the youngest,(16) to make it let alone top it, BJ bowled his heart out, he made all stars, Chris Watson is only 15 he came equal third in masters in his first go, the boys whitewashed most of the other boys teams during the three days. Every kid bowling would have had there own personal goals, Tom exceeded his I imagine BJ exceeded his, they did there talkin on the national stage not in the corner of a run bowling centre.

If iVe offended anybody then I consider today to be a good day.

I think you've missed the whole point of President Shield entirely Ian (ososober).

Ok, not only is it to win the shield for your Zone, but there are the boys and the girls shields. Then there is the fact that your meant to have FUN while you bowl, thats why there is chanting and high fiving and the rest.

Not once has a team from WA ever gone over and gone "well were not gonna win, so lets not try very hard" Thats bull****. Every team in that comp tries their absolute best to win, but there is always someone thats gonna beat them. I dont want to discourage any particular team, but NT haven't finished very high the last few years, but each time they give it their all.

For the 3 years that I bowled, I tried my hardest, my team-mates tried their hardest, but we were out done by a team that had that little extra edge to get them over the line. But the main point is I had fun, it boosted my confidence somewhat for future bowling and most importantly I made several new friends from different states.

Junior sport is all about encouragement. You dont have a go at a team that didnt do as well as the others, you just say "You did your best, thats all we could ask"

Good luck to future President Shield teams, who knows, one year WA will be on top, and you'll have eaten your words.

Adrian Altieri

*EDIT* And why is it you that is the first to stir the pot? If you've got nothing good to say, then dont say it at all. An old cliche I know, but in your case its the best one.

Ian, WELL WHAT A WET BLANKET YOU ARE. And thats being polite.
You have misssed the whole point of this topic, that was to congratulate the boys and girls of Shield, and Tom and Bryant for their All Star Positions. When was the last time YOU bowled in a State Team, and did you do so well? Sounds like you have a hiden agenda for posting your comments, dont knock these kids. Come out and say it, but dont use this posting to hide behind.
Ian, I hope you bowl well in the Rachuig team....

Congratulations guys, well done to you all.

Brenda Kirkwood

Ian Jones is in Rachuig??? Well you could have fooled me.

This is part of a PM sent to him from myself (not going to put the whole message as it may cause more bickering etc)
The question that should be asked to the girls team (this could be for any side of any gender etc) is "Can you honestly say individually, after you step off the lanes each day. that you were happy with how you bowled?" If they say "Yes" then let them go, enjoy in what should be a memorable moment in their bowling lives...

They gave it their best shot, and had FUN doing it too. They've also gained valuble big environment experience which is invaluable. Its comments like yours Ian that can influence a young bowler's decision to throw the game away, when who knows, they could be "the next big thing" later on in their bowling life.

It takes real balls to slander a bunch of juniors from behind a keyboard. Your toughman medal is in the mail :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Congratulations to the boys for their 2nd place finish. It was a great acheivement from a team with only two experienced shield bowlers. Special congrats to tom and BJ for their all-stars performance.
Well done too to the girls - you all improved on your averages from last year and won more overalls than last year. as you are a young team, continuing this improvement next year will definately reap more rewards.

We need to encourage all our eligible juniors to return next year - not find reasons to put them down. there is too much of that in bowling as there is.

sam.

I would just like to add my congratulations to the guys team as well and especially Tommy and BJ on making the Allstars.

And Ian, sounds like someone is still a little bitter and twisted about that shield coaching furore several years ago. It was a damn good performance by a group of guys who will be the future of bowling in WA.

Once again, great effort guys.

stevej said:
And Ian, sounds like someone is still a little bitter and twisted about that shield coaching furore several years ago. It was a damn good performance by a group of guys who will be the future of bowling in WA.
Once again, great effort guys.

My thoughts exactly, and luke can back that up

Murderdoll said:
My thoughts exactly, and luke can back that up

Its quite a few peoples thoughts I would imagine.

And Ian, forgive me if i'm wrong (well not that it matters as I'd much rather be blessed by Satan himself), but didn't you have your position on the WA State Association TERMINATED because of unjust and purely GUTLESS comments on here a couple of years ago???

Most people only need one kick up the arse to learn their lesson!

It seems to me that Ian does have the courage of his convictions to state on a very public stage, what his beliefs are, don't get me wrong, I believe in giving credit where credit is due, and the teams did exceed their own expectations and (in the vein of the recent games) achieved personal bests.

The success both teams have tasted, not only for themselves but for each other, (as success cannot blossum in an environment of negativity) can only serve to bolster their own stocks of desire to perform well again.

Ian has asked questions which really should be in another forum, however as he has chosen to use this medium to stir the pot, the simple answer is "people" .... we do not have enough bowling population in WA to ensure longevity in tournaments and quality leagues to enable junior (and adults for that matter) to be developed, as quickly, to the exposure the Eastern state bowlers are

Don't get me wrong I am not saying our juniors are lesser bowlers than others, what I am saying is if you do not get enough exposure to the situations you will face then they will always hold some fear or reservations in your mind until you have built up enough exposure that enables you to overcome those adversities ...

We have some quality coaches being developed whilst the juniors will add to that exposure bag everytime they compete at their elite level, this will serve to add to the promise of success as adults and then as seniors ... the kids need encouragement, direction and avenue's to enjoy what they are doing with bowling ... Your desire to point at training methods and reasons why we lost is not in the best interests of WA bowling at this time, I am applauding your courage for standing up, and I am amazed at your lack of bowling knowledge and understanding of the real issues. but I will always stand up for your right to speak ... until I can get close enough to ring your scrawny neck, now be happy for the kids and stop the back handed compliments.

Congrats to Tom & BJ for their fine personal efforts during this years Pres Shield

Ian J - Why bother getting into this again, again and again.

Yes we all know you have to win your games, but if you have ever competed at a high level you would understand Bowling High scores means you would have a better than average chance of winning your game

If you have another strategy for winning, other than bowling high scores, please enlighten us as I'm sure we'd all love to share

Ian Mc - Makes a nice change to see you put your name to a post, congrats to you and Ann, as your efforts with Tom have finally paid off

Luke - ????

I remember Adrian getting sooky lalala a few years back when he thought everyone was critiscing the teams performance

It's a shame that people back home have to knock, but its not the first time and wont be the last

SCOOPS said:
Congrats to Tom & BJ for their fine personal efforts during this years Pres Shield
Ian J - Why bother getting into this again, again and again.
Yes we all know you have to win your games, but if you have ever competed at a high level you would understand Bowling High scores means you would have a better than average chance of winning your game
If you have another strategy for winning, other than bowling high scores, please enlighten us as I'm sure we'd all love to share
Ian Mc - Makes a nice change to see you put your name to a post, congrats to you and Ann, as your efforts with Tom have finally paid off
Luke - ????
I remember Adrian getting sooky lalala a few years back when he thought everyone was critiscing the teams performance
It's a shame that people back home have to knock, but its not the first time and wont be the last

Thought? I wasnt the only one that heard it. But thats in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom