SA Under 23's squad list

Just letting you that this is not an AMF run tournament, it is run independently. However, AMF is a major sponsor.

I wish to assure everyone, that every possible attempt has been made to raise funds to support both a male and female division (even asking bowlers in SA to fundraise). Unfortunately, we have not been successful enough to provide for the 2 divisions. If anyone is willing to fundraise or donate to help with 2 divisions, please feel free to pm me.

Negative feedback will only hinder these attempts. Therefore, it would be appreciated that if you wish to express any negative feedback, it be communicated in another forum

Shane

Sorry Shane,

I dont believe that SA bowlers have been asked to assist !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Negative feedback is not what we are giving you.

Okay Paul so we'll take it that you have volunteered to kick in 2 grand?? Thanks mate I'm sure all the female bowlers appreciate your generosity.......

Wow hasn't this all gotten a little heated!

Quiz night and easy do not belong in the same sentence.

Yes you can make some money - but it takes money to make money.

You need someone to donate a hall or room in a bar somewhere and with liability insurance etc - they normally are not free.

Then you need prizes - no one wants to come to a quiz night unless they can win something!

you need raffle prizes, door prize, silent auction and quiz prizes
lucky squares are a good one too - but again, they need to be paid for!

once you have these all donated, then its time - some volunteers which have to work hard organising, for little or no thanks.

then you have to pay for all the bits - the tickets, posters, flyers, paper, pens raffle tickets etc

AND THEN you need people to come - ask a few friends if they want to come to a quiz night - for every one that chimes in a yes, I love them - you can find 10 that groan and sigh and suddenly remember 'they have something on that night"

Even the Holt Team who used to hold 2 quiz nights a year, very successfully I might add, will not be holding a quiz night at all this year. With the hardship showing in our community due to the global financial crisis, generally people are no longer able to donate funds or goods and services, and some families are no longer able to afford to go to a fundraising event - where they know they will need to pay to get in and have their hand in their pocket the rest of the night.

Yes you can make some money but its hard work and shouldn't be up to the handful of people that have saved this tournament from the scrap heap, for the pure love of the sport.

Ash if you want to host a quiz night good on you! I will come and bring some friends : ) Just send me a flyer

ALSO why would anyone book a flight to come to a tournament based on it having a female division, that last year had no female division without checking first??????

Yes Rennie,
Quiz nights are easy if you get the right people to run then and there are places that will allow you to have the hall for free. I have run many quiz nights and they have been successful so dont say they arent easy. Alot of people would have assisted if they had of been approached but once again it is the Elliot clan who get their back up when we want something for the youth of this state to assist in rebuilding in getting the females in this state to participate in events such as under 23's and to help them gain confidence in representing OUR STATE in future youth and adult tournaments.
All comments posted on this site under this name have been done by Caroline.
Cheers

Apologies to Paul.....Thanks be re-directed to Caroline for her donation of 2k to honour a female division.

Thanks also for support of Shane and myself who along with Mat Schoessow last year threw this tournament together in 6 WEEKS so that the YOUTH BOWLERS in THIS STATE (and interstate - to those magnificent bowlers who continue to support this tournament) could still bowl a NATIONAL EVENT. I may have to check with Shane but I don't recall many putting up their hands volunteering to help in the last 12 months since last year's tournament.

Alot of people would have assisted if they had of been approached but once again it is the Elliot clan who get their back up when we want something for the youth of this state to assist in rebuilding in getting the females in this state to participate in events such as under 23's and to help them gain confidence in representing OUR STATE in future youth and adult tournaments.
All comments posted on this site under this name have been done by Caroline.
Cheers

So your saying that because there is no female division that the FEMALE YOUTH bowlers in SA can't bowl the tournament still? Um......I must be going completely blind because I don't recall reading the part where it states that this tournament is open to male bowlers only......maybe you could point me in the right direction. Further to your blatant accusations of us hindering FEMALE BOWLING in this STATE I happened to check the last time this tournament ran 2 divisions Caroline and in 2007 we had a grand total of....SIX (6) SA YOUTH FEMALES!!! Most if not all of those we're forced to bowl because of YOUTH TRIALS!! There's nothing stopping the bowlers in this STATE bowling their HOME TOURNAMENT whether they are MALE or FEMALE.

Last year we got this tournament up and running in 6 WEEKS we did the best we could and instead of letting it go and becoming another hole in the calender of SA BOWLING, Shane and I and a few others have busted our asses so as to have this TOURNAMENT run for another year. Its great to know that we have more support coming from the other states than we do in our own.....thanks!!

Bobba (apparently he who doesn't care about the future of bowling in this state or maybe I'm just sexist and discriminatory)

I think it is presumptuous of you to attack my family who in fact instigated the saving of Under 23's for the youth of "OUR STATE" and who volunteer countless hours for the benefit of tenpin bowling on all levels, from Juniors, youth and disabled through to Adults and Seniors. We make an effort to attend fundraising events, donate products and services where we can and as a whole support tenpin bowling completely.
I think you may be reading these posts a little wrong. From what I understand, the tournament committee is passionate about saving the under 23's, and would love to include a women's division, but has been unable to raise the funds needed. If you are offering to run a quiz night to support this tournament your efforts would not only be welcomed, but I am sure supported and helped wherever possible.

I look forward to your next post, that I trust will not offer any slanderous remarks toward my or anyone else's family but if it does include details of your upcoming Under 23's Quiz night - put me down for bringing a table

UMmmmmmmmmm I have not slandered anyone thanks but it seems you all think you are heros well so be it. I really dont care about you lot biut I do feel for the female bowlers who stuggle to gain equal ranking points when bowling along side the male bowlers.
As for volunteering to assist with this tournament Shane knows that all he had to do was ask me and I would have helped him. But once again it seems the heros cant ask anyone for help.
Thjs shall be my last post and would be interested to see how you are going to twist everything I have said.
And NO Bobba I wont be putting up the 2 K that you expect me to cough up. I wont even be attending this tournament as I feel very hurt at the slander you are throwing at me.
Caroline.

Y but once again it is the Elliot clan who get their back up when we want something for the youth of this state to assist in rebuilding in getting the females in this state to participate in events such as under 23's and to help them gain confidence in representing OUR STATE in future youth and adult tournaments.
Im sorry but the above directly names my family, is untrue and makes a statement that could be damaging to our reputation - oxford states that is slander.

So now you state it would be easy for you to help raise funds, and yet still decline. No-one asked the people who saved under 23's to do anything, they just stepped up for the good of the sport, but you won't help because "Shane didn't ask you to"!?? ....people in glass houses

I could be wrong but wasn't this thread started for the bowlers just to place their names down for a squad? why don't the TBA of SA or what ever their name is contribute to this tourny i am a lot older that 23 otherwise id bowl in it myself. i do think it is a bit harsh for people to attack other people that are trying their hardest to keep a interstate tournament running in SA. good luck with the tourny i hope it runs well and does for a few more years to come
jeremy

This is just an idea, but here goes.

(RANT ON)

How about we create a prize fund that is solely based upon the amount of entrants involved per division? For instance, an example. THE FOLLOWING FIGURES ARE PURELY HYPOTHETICAL

The field consists of 50 bowlers, 10 of which are female. Entry costs $180 a head. Girls generate income of $1800 and guys have $7200, with perhaps 4K sponsorship. Lineage costs approximately $700 for women and $2800 for men for qualifying. Matchplay could consist of the top 5 women (half field) cutting to bowl two rounds of round robin (costing about $250) and men cutting to 21 (half field) bowling 7 games of trios for bonus pins (cost $850). Matchplay for each field would cost another $100. With lineage paid, that leaves about 8K for prize fund.

As females brought in entry fees of $1800, plus 20% of any sponsorship raised (for this example, 20% of 4K = $800) the income raised by the girls would be $2600. Minus your lineage cost of $1050, leaves a prize fund of $1550.

Pay to cut would be $650 (1st) $400 (2nd) $250 (3rd) $150 (4th) $100 (5th).

Now the women have a field to bowl in and their own prize fund. But does this mean more girls are going to bowl simply because they can be on their own? I'm not sure that it will. If the girls want their own field, they would have to support it in numbers and make the trip worthwhile for the interstate girls. If I was one of the interstate girls bowling in the womens division bowling for the abovementioned cash, I would be re-thinking my cost versus potential gain.

The only way this position could be bettered is by getting more entries, thus making up a higher percentage of the total entries, thus getting more of the sponsorship. Or of course obtaining more sponsorship. That in itself is very hard to do.

I think the format for this event is very good. It gives the bowlers a good chance to cut (top 21), having plenty of games to get there. The girls can definitely hold their own, as 2 females occupied the top three spots last year.

As for the mud flinging going on, I agree with Jemmo.....this post was designed for people to register their interest in bowling this event. Disputing how it is being run or organised should be discussed elsewhere, but whilst we are on the topic.....

I can't believe someone would accuse another person or group of people of being gloryhounds because they decide to take it amongst themselves to save a long running national event on the SA calendar. These guys did a fantastic job last year when up to SIX WEEKS BEFORE THE START OF THE EVENT no one offered to take on the responsibility to run the show. To organise bowlers, a format, sponsorship and for it to be a success is nothing short of phenomenal, and for that they should be congratulated. They take on the responsibility again this year, only to be kicked in the teeth because they can't raise enough dollars? :confused::confused: SIMPLY DISGRACEFUL. To those people involved in the bagging of these tournament directors, why don't you try organising and running an event yourselves, and see how hard it is? And I don't mean organising for a state team to go away. I mean organising it from inception, arranging a centre, doing costings, bargaining with the centre to get a good rate, organising sponsorships, getting flyers out, attracting interest, getting people to deposit and show up from interstate, having enough people around to ensure a successful run tournament, making sure lanes/patterns are working and to a minimum of breakdowns, issuing payments.......NOT EASY. And for these guys to do it out of their own free will and time and to be ridiculed for doing it?? These responsible should honestly know better.

As for supporting tournaments in SA, bowlers make choices. so many bowlers from interstate registered their interest without even seeing an entry form or payout details....Regardless of squads and listings, a bowler has a choice as to whether he/she will support a tournament. If you choose not to bowl a tournament, WHINGE IN QUIET AND DON'T COMPLAIN ABOUT THE REASONS WHY YOU DIDN'T BOWL. I see a lot of youth bowlers bowling in the SAJYC and not bowling in the SA Scratch Series. It's no skin off my nose, but the people you decide to pick on bowl in BOTH events. How dare you accuse these guys of trying to sabotage the progress of Tenpin in SA! Ash, I haven't seen your name on one of the scratch series squad listings yet......again, glass houses. The sport would be better off with less of the types that do nothing but criticize and do nothing to better the situation. The sport doesn't want them, nor does it need them.

In closing, I hope the tournament runs well. I for one will be there in support.....and well done to Shane, Danielle, Isaac, Robert and anyone else who have had a hand in getting this tournament on the calendar again. And to those responsible for the whinging.....PULL YOUR HEADS IN. If you're doing nothing to improve the case, PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

As for female entries, maybe if TIM TRAN bowled this event you might see a dramatic increase from interstaters!! ;)

(RANT OFF)

This was posted by Michael Tran, and I sincerely apologise if I have hurt anyone's feelings in any way. Feel free to voice your opinions to me IN PERSON if you have taken issue with my comments.

Updated Squad Listing (11/6 - 12:00am)
A squad (Max 30 Bowlers)

1. Conor Quail
2. Danielle Elliott
3. Leigh Simpson
4. Rebecca Whiting

Squad B (Max 40 Bowlers)

1. Andrew Barron
2. Ashley Warren
3. Chris Castle
4. Chris Schwetlik
5. Chris Watson
6. Craig Coy
7. Dion Alexander
8. Emily Robertson
9. James Banfield
10. Jamie Taylor
11. Josh Colbert
12. Josh Morel
13. Keryn Delaney
14. Laura Kairn
15. Lexi Nicoll
16. Lousie Ingoe
17. Luke Kairn
18. Marc Triulcio
19. Mat Schoessow
20. Matt Sing
21. Matt Watson
22. Nathan Parlby (D/C)
23. Nick Green
24. Nick Williamson
25. Robert Elliott
26. Russell Patterson
27. Scott Robertson
28. Shane Hadlum
29. Shane Tunnah
30. Stephen Cowland
31. Teagan Nairn
32. Tom Mcloughlin
33. Tyson Hinton
34. Zac Krebbekx
35. Rachelle Flynn

Clearly this is not the time nor place for the rantings. I believe this a post for squad listings on a tournament being run.
I would love for this to never happen again, it doesn't impress anyone and it brings no positive outcomes. If someone has any suggestions, ideas or wants to simply lend a hand if it's needed, i'm positive it will be welcome with open arms. To sit back and wait to be asked is a great way to get nothing accomplished.

Good luck to the people involved in running this tournament. I know you will do great.

Hey guys,

This is my opinion,

You guys are doing your best to run this tournament and I thank you all! If having 1 division is the best way to run it, because of the lack of numbers from both the male and females then so be it.

If you have to run 1 division for a couple of years until the numbers build back up, then everyone should be grateful that this tournament is still up and running!

There are still 8 female names on the list which is a good start. My only concern is 6 of them are interstate.

Where are the SA Youth and Junior bowlers???

Why is no one from SA wanting to bowl this tournament. Come on guys and girls, it's in your own state!!

It's very inexpensive to bowl a tournament in your town state because your not having to travel as far as say QLD or Perth.

Do they know about this tournament?

It is a great experience to bowl a youth tournament especially for the up and coming juniors.

Just a little suggestion. Instead of spending your time critising each other on total bowling, I believe that there should be a greater push from the tournament team to entice the local bowlers to compete in their own nationally ranked tournament. With or without serperate divisions, the local junior and youth bowlers should be made aware and be encouraged to enter.

See you in August.
Lexi

Hey guys,

I believe we as a bowling community should be VERY greatfull to the people that have got off there BUTTS and put the time and effort in to run this tournie!

Times are EXTREMLY tough,and most companies are looking at streamlining there cost and are not looking at extra expendature...so Sponsorship is extremely difficult!!!!...so any tournie at this time is a good tournie and those people *****ing about Mens & Ladies divisions should take a deep breath and be happy to have a tournie at all...

Enjoy guys and stop MOANING about things that are out of peoples hands, and if you dont agree....step up and run the Tournie next year.

Cheers

Paul K.

A squad (Max 30 Bowlers)

1. Danielle Elliott
2. Leigh Simpson
3. Rebecca Whiting

Squad B (Max 40 Bowlers)

1. Andrew Barron
2. Ashley Warren
3. Chris Castle
4. Chris Glare
5. Chris Schwetlik