Rolemodel/Favorite Bowler of All Time?

Toon

OWN IT!
We have had least favorite bowler of all time.

How about most favorite.
Would like some opinions on the following.

Favorite bowler to watch?
Bowler you aspire to be like?
Bowler whose style/technique you try to work towards?

For me, all 3 categories my vote goes to Parker Bohn III. Such a nice guy, phenomenal technique and style. Does countless workshops and seminars worldwide.

But tied with Jason Belmonte in the aspiration category.

How about everyone else?

Andrew Frawley was someone who I always looked up to as a bowler when I was younger, in fact, i'd still say that I would aspire to be as good a bowler as Andrew, and i've always enjoyed watching his fluent/smooth technique.

I would also say Parker Bohn III and John Gant... From Australia I would have to say Steve Lovell and Fred Allsopp...

Fred Allsopp hasn't bowled at all really for some time now, but, knowing Fred, I bet he could walk onto any lanes, whit any gear, and still make it look extremely easy!

I remeber a time when Fred turned up to bowl league at Campbelltown one Thursday night, he'd forgotten to bring any gear with him at all, so he just borrowed on old pair of shoes, and an old ball from another left hander there that night, he then strolled up to the lanes, and shot a high 900 series for 4 games! Effortless!!

Favourite Bolwer to watch...?
There is only one David Ozio...

David Ozio has the most amazing style. Insanely smooth. Poetry in motion.

Cow

Hi,

For me Duke and Bohn are up there. Just checked David Ozio out, I think I will be adding him to my video collection also.

David Ozio, the medford meteor - Marshall Holman, Norm Duke and last but not least PDW !

As a kid watching the VHS tapes the first two names i always looked for were David Ozio and Amleto Monacelli

norm duke parker bohn and after watching david ozio david ozio but i will always idolise fred allsopp a great bowler and a great guy

love watching Mike Fagan and try to bowl like Bill O'neill, but i have heaps of fav's. like a lot of others on here Parker Bohn too.

For me it's the Big Nasty!
Effortless motion with a huge shot. Coming to the Aus Masters Wes?? Maybe Belmo can ask him whether he is making the trip or not?!?! I for one would make the trip down to Sydney to see him in action live.
Also Chris Barnes a true all-star.

Australian:
As a kid I bowled a mere 2 years before having a long break (13 years). I remember vividly a bowler that had the nickname 'The Iceman', he was always cool under pressure. My very bad memory attributes the name Ian Bradford but can't remember if they are one and the same or two different people. Maybe someone here remembers the early 90's and whether my memory is accurate or not.

To me, I seen Earl Anthony when he visited Australia in I think 1989, he did some bowling for the News, but I was most impressed with Donna Adamak, she threw a Ball that was Stronger than any Male in Australia, it absolutely Amazed me how hard her Ball hit, this from a Female who was only 5 foot Tall in the old money.

willey

no posts in a couple of days..i would like to see if anyone else remembers this guy
as a kid i remember a guy on tv think it was the pepsi cup or somethin i was only like 8 or so.His Name was Billy Gardiner.does anyone have any info on this guy?
did he retire?
have shoulder problems for what i can remember he had a crazy swing?
i still have a brunswick shirt with his name on it signed..as a kid id watch his tapes over n over again to the extent that my tapes would have that fuzzy scratched tape signal through the middle.you see all the other guys names from back in the day thrown all over this site but why not mr Gardiners?
What happened

no posts in a couple of days..i would like to see if anyone else remembers this guy
as a kid i remember a guy on tv think it was the pepsi cup or somethin i was only like 8 or so.His Name was Billy Gardiner.does anyone have any info on this guy?
did he retire?
have shoulder problems for what i can remember he had a crazy swing?
i still have a brunswick shirt with his name on it signed..as a kid id watch his tapes over n over again to the extent that my tapes would have that fuzzy scratched tape signal through the middle.you see all the other guys names from back in the day thrown all over this site but why not mr Gardiners?
What happened

Back while he was competing there was an issue with the weight of one of Billy's balls after a 300 game during an ATBA tournament. I don't think Billy agreed with the decision so he stopped bowling here in Oz. Sorry my memory of the time is a bit vague.

Billy the last time I bowled in events about mid 2000's had moved to Cairns and was not really bowling anymore although he did stop in at the bowl during the Cairns open. When he did bowl in a few events around that time still had that unmistakeable style and power. Hope this sheds some light on your question about Bill.

When I started bowling back in the early 80's news from the states was rare (usually from Pin Action or if you were lucky Bowlers Journal) and tapes of PBA competitors were not readily available so my first bowling idols came from within my local bowl and from the Australian tournament scene.

Tony Goodwin, Brian King and David Cooper from Northcote.
Brian Bridges, Ron Powell, John Sullivan, Steve Lovell, Ian Bradford, Frank Ryan, Janet Baker.

Then as I got more exposure to the International bowling news:

Dick Weber, Earl Anthony (saw him here in 89), Dave Davis.

In recent years bowlers I love to watch are:

PBA:
Belmo, Walter Ray, Parker Bohn III (saw him when he came to Chadstone a few years back), Chris Barnes, Osku Palermaa, Mika (apologies), Wes Malott.

Local:
Belmo, George Frilingos, Jason Walsh, Michael Little, Paul Trotter, Mac Stewart.

Back
Top Bottom