Rico Layout

Street Racer

Hello Guys, I'm slowly start coming back to bowling and I'm wanting a control layout for a drier lane, from out of no where, I remembered the RICO layout, Thinking of putting the layout out on the Storm Fringe(shouldnt of probably placed this layout on the tropical breeze I have but oh well lol) who has used the layout?? has it been successful etc etc??

Thanks Guys[=

for those who don't know what this layout is

ricolayout.jpg

I've used it... Didn't really care for it much. Putting the pin the middle of the grip is too general in my eyes, because it'll do different things depending on your PAP. Only worked for me really at the AO one year... bucket load of juice and flying backends.

If you have a high track, there's a chance you'll thump holes.

There are other drillings that will achieve the same thing, but we need your PAP, tilt, rev rate ect. 45x5x85 or 90 will work, with a hole 2" down the VAL. Very smooth for myself. Not for the rev challenged. ;)

I've used it... Didn't really care for it much. Putting the pin the middle of the grip is too general in my eyes, because it'll do different things depending on your PAP. Only worked for me really at the AO one year... bucket load of juice and flying backends.

There are other drillings that will achieve the same thing, but we need your PAP, tilt, rev rate ect. 45x5x85 or 90 will work, with a hole 2" down the VAL. Very smooth for myself. Not for the rev challenged. ;)

With an 85 VAL angle im guessing you would basically eliminate the core and control backend with surface. Like androooo said depends on the patients tilt, rotation, speed and rpm.

The best way to lay balls out now is using the "Dual Angle" method. Its 95% Mathematical so u cant stuff it up. The only guess work is pin to pap distances, but with experience you get to know what measurements work for you and what dont. Definitely worth a look-up if you arent familiar with it.

This layout is excellent if you can get a hold of a ball with a very short pin, somewhere around 1". I've had a lot of success with it. It allows you to control the ball reaction on the backend purely through adjusting your axis tilt. I've found it to be very clean through the front of that lane, with a moderate angle off the break. The best part is the ability to play straight with it whilst having the ball retain all its energy. Just for reference, my PAP is 5"over - 1/8th up

Any ball can have a short pin. Pin length is determined through the amount of offset of the core when the cover/fill is poured around it.

really? why the short pin?? they say in the picture, 3inch pin preferred?? I'm not doubting you, just curious... still in limbo in how I'm gonna lay it up

That works for me. May not work for everyone. The shorter pin allows the ball to get down the lane a lot further. Using a longer pin will require a weight hole which in most cases will cause the ball to roll earlier. There are better layouts for getting the ball to pick up early if thats what you're after. It is all a matter of opinion really. I only use short pins on this layout due to the fact that i'm trying to achieve a very clean front end but still have the dependability at the break point without the ball storing up a lot of energy and then hooking too much on the back. Rico gives a look that is hard to match with any other layout.

One reason I suggested the drilling I did, is because it gives you more scope to change the reaction if needed.

On a drilled symmetric ball, the preferred spin axis (PSA) ends up pretty much on the grip centreline, 6 3/4" from the pin. By using a balance hole on the VAL 2" down from the midline, you can move that PSA away from that location, and pull it towards the VAL.

If needed, drill the balance hole as small as possible, just to bring the ball back to legal on the statics. Go throw the ball... If the reaction needs to be stronger, make the balance hole deeper.

Smaller diameter, deeper balance holes change reaction more that wider, shallower holes, because you're hitting, and changing the shape of the weightblock more.

I don't mind the Rico Layout, mine is drilled based on the Brunsnick method. Pin was about three inch. very large balance hole drilled through the PSA as suggested.

I use it as my spare ball mostly as it is predicatable and does nothing but roll up.

Video here of my results with the ball, used earlier this year to get my base settings before buying a new tournament kit. No laughing, I have been working on my release sine this video.

One reason I suggested the drilling I did, is because it gives you more scope to change the reaction if needed.

On a drilled symmetric ball, the preferred spin axis (PSA) ends up pretty much on the grip centreline, 6 3/4" from the pin. By using a balance hole on the VAL 2" down from the midline, you can move that PSA away from that location, and pull it towards the VAL.

If needed, drill the balance hole as small as possible, just to bring the ball back to legal on the statics. Go throw the ball... If the reaction needs to be stronger, make the balance hole deeper.

Smaller diameter, deeper balance holes change reaction more that wider, shallower holes, because you're hitting, and changing the shape of the weightblock more.

I didnt see your reply andro, I actually don't know my exact tilt rev rate etc etc, I shoot a pretty high rev rate and my pap from memory is 4 1/4 1/2 up, that's what I'm doing everything off atm as I didn't have any ball to redo my pap, laid out a nomad dagger with 4x4x2 last night and it rolls pretty good

I have a Vivid I'm trying to work out how I wanted it laid out and also a Natural

I haven't done much with dual angle stuff, yet to dive in and try it, I've got something on my iPad from Morich I look at when I'm bored, I'll link a video with how I was 1 week ago(was comparing to my last video in 09 and seeing what I have to work on)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=r3cEdvWFBmk