Respect or Power

hamster

Just a Bowler
We as bowlers every year elect our fellow bowlers to take up the positions of office bearers for the league(ie: president,treasurer, etc) we chose to bowl in. As bowlers we trust this group to run the league to the best of their ability and stand up for the rights of the bowler whether it be an in league issue or a issue with the center they bowl in. Remember these people donate their own time to do this thankless job to ensure that the league runs without a hitch.
I have alot of respect for those people who do this.
But when they give you a list of code of conducts rules and tell you you have to sign which you previously signed when you sanctioned and then call a snap meeting with only the team captains, somethings not right. They are then relying on the captains (20 in all) to inform the rest of the league (40) of the decisions that were made on the behalf of the league officials over a formal complaint. I understand that the office bearers have to act on any complaint that is made to them in writing but having to rely on twenty people to get the information across is not the way to handle it. Its a reciepe for disaster which exactly what happened last thurs night. I have never in my 17 years of bowling in leagues been so disappointed with what had happened to the league on this night and unfortunately with the way i , myself handle it.
Not all my league members will see this but i wish to formally apoligise to them for my behaviour and disruption to the league on thursday night (21-7-05).I know now that i should of handle it thru different avenues.
I would like to commend the complainee for expanding to me after league what was detail in the complaint. All of which was really just a simple request to some very small issues" abusive language, kicking ball returns, etc" which a small percentage of the league was guilty of, myself included.
All was needed was a slap on the wrist for those guilty and explained to them that if it continued that a stronger avenue would be taken(ie written warning).
Not the heavy handed approach that was taken.

Finally i just want to say that the league itself is a very good league with a tremendous bunch a bowlers who provide for a very enjoyable night and is very well run. Hopefully this was just a hiccup.

hamster
tony hamilton :confused:

As one of the league bowlers, I accept your apology Tony. Your apology is indicative of the "real Tony" and not the person who abused the President of our league in a disruptive manner. Personally I am thankful that the heated words did not develop into a fist fight which would have damaged 2 reputations. Had it been me in your shoes, I would have been equally angry as I dont think you were given the chance to speak at the meeting and defend your actions.

As far as I am aware, Haros has always had this type of league meeting to sort out difficulties, ie 1 person from each team attending. I believe this is in their constitution. However, I think a suggestion could be made for the future that the person(s) who is/are being complained about should be asked to attend at the meeting and advised of the reason they are being asked to attend, so they can understand why the complaint is being made and answer for their behaviour. This would hopefully stop a lot of the misunderstanding afterwards from the other league members who only get to hear part of the story.

Haros Triples has been going for a long time, and yes, it is very well run indeed. The Committee do an excellent job, that is why they keep getting elected year after year. Some might think we have too many rules, but at least we all know where we stand. The league has a great mix of people and I would like to think they enjoy your participation in the league as much as you enjoy our company. We are only half way through the year, let's now go forward having learned something from what happened last week get on with the bowling and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom