advice on league rules please

Rikki

you talk, ill bowl!!!
please read below im very keen for some help with this one.

This is the situation, I turned up to league on Thursday night and found the team we where playing was going to use a player that had only ever bowled 3 games for the team around 6-7 months ago and had an average of 162. When this player bowled his 3 games to get his average he had only just started to bowl and the mid 160’s was about his average then. I bowl with this man in another league on a Tuesday night in the same centre and his average in that League is 188. He has improved greatly and even bowled a 300. As a team mate and someone who has helped him with his bowling I am very glad to see him doing so well.

This gentleman was used as a fourth bowler in a 3 man league. I understand that our constitution says that any team can have a fourth bowler and there average is based off 3 games not the 9 games that everyone else does. I can live with that but I want to change the rule as I think that by doing this the team we played had an unfair advantage as this bowler had clearly improved dramatically and by using an average of 162 (bowled 6-7 months earlier) his handicap would almost ensure winning points in both the individual and team side of things.

The gentleman bowled a 665 series on Thursday night off the three games, well done to him but we had no chance of getting the individual points ( Head to Head) and very hard to get the over all points that are allocated each night.

If his average was more indicative of his capability (around the 190’s) I believe we may have obtained about 12 points out of 16 instead of the 6 that we did win.

I know the team we were playing loved the advantage they had last night. We are on top of the ladder and they are in fourth so with 7 weeks left to bowl they certainly picked up some very precious points and left me thinking about their intensions of using this player at such a critical stage of the league.

Nothing can be changed about last night and I hope that we win the league but I would like to put something to the league that will stop this sort of thing happening in the years to come. Do you have any advice on what other leagues may have done in this type of situation?

I have bowled for nearly 20 years and I understand the politics of bowling can be pretty silly at times, I know that what ever I say to the League I am pressed with an uphill battle so I need to make it quick easy and to the point.

I understand why the average is worked of the 3 games and not 9 games, the gentleman that played last night may not bowl again this year for that team but if he does his average will be 191 based off 6 games which is much more realistic.

What would you do???

As you said, he bowled within the rules and your constitution and that is that.

To avoid this in the future you could add something like "all substitutes will use their highest current league average if they haven't bowled 9 games or more in the league" to your constitution.

Not much you can do, but bring it up at end of year (sometimes start of year) AGM. This is an unfortunatly common occurance.

We were done similarly too a year ago where a 160 bowler was 'injured' so they brought in a friend (known 200+) bowler to "sub". As the sub had not bowled in the league/centre he was granted right to bowl, 220 average and zero points for our team later. Nothing could be done as it was in the constitution that until an average was calculated in the league he had effectively no average so the 'must have a sub within 20pins' rule did not come in to effect. We too ended up winning that year, showing cheaters (I know they played within the rules so can't realy be called cheaters, but they knowingly abused the rules) do not always prosper! ;)

yes i agree im sure we will win but its all in the rules. I will bring it up at the end of year but these things can be very hard for some bowlers to understand but if i tell them i will have a fourth player next year and his average will be low i think they might get the hint. In reality i could never do it. If anything my probem with League bowling is there is no reward for doing your best it seems you just have to do enough to win a point and keep your average down but mine keeps going up!!! :)

Rikki if this is covered by your existing League Constitution you cant do much about it.

Changing that constitution requires a 100% vote of support.
As the others have said you will need to bring this up at your reformation meeting nexrt season. At that time you only need a simple majority vote.

Another thread in this forum mentioned that no matter how thoroughly a Constitution was formed there can always be a new issue that no-one has thought of before. This is another example.

Look on the bright side Rikki at least your average is on the up...

Back
Top Bottom