Research/ Bowling Tournament

Would you participate in Dr. Chris' research tournament?

• I would participate in the research AND the tournament

Votes: 35 89.7%
  • I would participate in the tournament ONLY

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I would not participate at all

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

STEROID

In hopes to promote the sport of tenpin bowling and to bring some credibility to the bowling community, I would like to conduct more research into tenpin bowling. I am looking for expressions of interest about who would participate in a study involving a tenpin bowling competition. Here is the idea and what you would be doing if you participated in the study:

Bowl 5 games of “practice” on the Saturday
Bowl in a 10-game tournament on the Sunday, which includes
5 games of regular total pinfall (possible money prizes ratio would be 1 in 5 for this portion of the tournament)
5 games of ‘matchplay’ format (possible money prizes for most games won with highest series to “break any ties”)... again prize distribution would be 1 in 5
Possible prize money for overall pinfall with bonus pins added (for wins)
Complete a number of questionnaires prior to practice on Saturday.
Complete a questionnaire prior to and possibly (once) during the “regular tournament” and “matchplay tournament”
Some selected participants will take part in interviews within a week of the competition.

The cost (to you) of the 10 game tournament (on the Sunday) would be similar to any 10-15 game tournament, but may be less depending on whether I can get funding for this project. I would estimate the cost would be between $50 and $100.

Please cast your vote now. If there is enough interest, I will organise the event (sometime between August and December 2008), the research, and the possible funding for the event.

Any question? Feel free to post it here or send me a PM.

Dr. Chris

Please count me in..... now there's no electro-shock or injections involved is there? :)

Jason

Jason, no there won't be any harm done to anyone... perhaps maybe a bit of bashing if you don't strike ;):p

Brien, your too good for 8 more pins per game... and the fact that you are a lefty... that's even worse :p

Thanks to those of you that voted, but I would need at least 30 participants to undertake the study. Considering that only 29 people voted so far, not sure if it would be feasible to organise. So if you haven't voted yet, and are somewhat interested, please vote! If I get at least 40 votes that say yes... I'll look into funding and dates and see how many people I can actually get on a squad list!

Hopefully we can promote our sport and add credibility to it with continued research!!!

chris

Doc,
Any possible dates need to book it in for the trouble and strife!

Thank you to those that are interested in the research tournament.

I am trying to organise funding through the University of Ballarat, so that it will be a "value for money" tournament (thanks for the phrase, Tonx). After I have confirmed that, I will look for bowling centres (probably in Melbourne) to host the tournament (for the lowest possible per game price). When I have decided on a venue (and date), I'll let everyone know.

Right now it looks like it will be late in the year, but I have people looking into possible dates for the tournament. If anyone knows of dates that would be good (where I can get the most people), feel free to post them on this forum. I'm looking for a weekend that a major tournament or a tournement within Victoria is not scheduled, but I understand that may be hard to find.

Anything suggestions related to dates would be helpful.
thanks for all your interest.
Dr. Chris

CRIS
im thinking prob some time over the september school holidays, not many people go away for the mid year holidays. more go away for easter and christmas. makes it easier for guys who work rotating shift and can arange some time off over those holidays, and prob a center in the northern part of melb like epping, or forrest hill or altona somewhere like that, all decent size centers which would be suitable for the reasearch, epping would prob be the best coz lanes 1 to 8 are in a seperate room so that room can be focused on the research part ) just a suggestion for you Chris. anyone else got any ideas or why :0 if we all dig in and help chris out we may get to participate sooner then later :)

Simon Egan

Here's another update about this tournament...

I have received word from the University of Ballarat to fund the 5 games of practice on the Saturday for anyone participating in the study. Thus, I am looking for dates and venues. The two dates that I have potentially selected are in August... August 16-17 OR August 30-31. I need some input on whether there are any tournaments being conducted in Victoria or any "major" tournaments in Australia on either of those weekends that will affect whether National touring players can participate. Do you know of any?

Also, for those proprietors interested in hosting this tournament... now's the time to send me a private message or email me personally on [email protected] to host this tournament. The bowling centre with the "lowest bid" per game will host the tournament. This way, bowlers participating in the tournament can have value for money, with 15 games for the price of their entry (to be determined later, hopefully under $100) and also have a bigger prize fund.

Thanks for all your input guys and looks like it will be an interesting tournament!

If I get into B squad for the sport series tournament on May 18, I'll be there if you want to discuss anything with me on that day.

Dr. Chris

Back
Top Bottom