Storm Reign of Fire - Review

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Ball design:

The key to the Reign of Fire™ is the utilization of the R2S™ solid reactive coverstock. From its inception, it has proven to be one of the most versatile coverstocks ever manufactured. With its strong surface profile and excellent friction characteristics it was the obvious choice for this latest release.

The fuel for the Fire so to speak is the C.A.M. ™ (Continuous Axis Migration) weight block. The combination of the unique contours along the weight block with the strategically placed weighted mass blocks deliver optimum mid-lane roll with volatile backend reaction.

In summary:

A strong cover on a symmetrical core

Ball layout:

4 1/2" from PAP, 4" from CG, balance hole 5 3/4 from centre of span

Surface: Box

The first thing you notice on this ball is how dull it is when it comes out of the box. It is finished off at 1000 which will give any bowler out there friction. As most people know this suits me down to a tee :) However this ball quickly picked up some oil after a few games so it then turned into more of a matt finish.

I used this ball on a THS (Typical House Shot) and found the ball wanting to hook early. Usually at Logan it's best to catch some sort of the dry boards but I found because of the midlane strength it was just burning up. When I purposely kept it in the oil though it hit like a truck.

This ball is not like most, it wont give you that massive hook at the back, its a completely different shape. This ball however does hook and hit extremely well and serves it's purpose. Imagine a urethane ball on steriods...

The ball needs oil though, its probably best served being used on the first few games in a tournament or league as it's going to give you control. When the midlane goes, time to put it away. I've seen some other players up the cover to 2000 and even 4000 with good results, this would allow you to use the ball a little while longer in a tournament or league.

In summary, the ball is great but you must have oil. This ball is designed to hook early so trying to use it on conditions where there is not much oil is a waste. If your rev challenged, hold on to this one :) If you throw some hand, might want to up the cover to 4000 as soon as you get the ball. I like to use it in the oil and just have that strong arc finish to the pocket.

Another hook monster from Storm for which I love. Make sure you keep cleaning the cover every time you use it. These very porous and aggressive shells can die if you dont look after them. Hook, hook and more hook! nice

Thanks for the review George.

Bowling at Melton, there is generally very little oil so I had my ROF polished before even throwing it.

Now bear with me here because I am not a technical person.

My ball skids down the lane and has a very strong hook at the back end.

I have had it drilled for more length.

Every time I clean the ball, I get a sniff of guava / tangerine. I smells delicious !!!

You would understand ball layouts so below is a pic. Don't ask me about PAP or CG or MB because I honestly don't know.

http://img23.imageshack.us/i/10052010276.jpg/

http://img175.imageshack.us/i/10052010277.jpg/

What do you think?

Bigsy...

Good layout, that will create a little more length with that drilling. Glad to hear its working well.

Not that anyone will care but I have had my ROF for about a month now and finally found a line that suits. I bowl 3 games a week (no practice) at Melton on old wooden lanes and shot 633 two weeks ago and 589 last week. I don't have a lot of hook and am right handed. I bowl about 15 & 7 now and have increased my speed a little. This ball hits like a truck and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Thanks to Adam who talked me out of a VE & VG. An opinion from someone who knows the lanes certainly helped in this case.

Bigsy...

Back
Top Bottom