Recored Broken

Kellie

Facebook Rocks
Horsham (Victoria, Australia) tenpin bowlers knocked-over a world record on Saturday when they took out more than 38,960 pins during a 24-hour Bowl-o-Thon at Lanes and Games. Horsham Rural City Council mayor Gary Bird, who launched the record attempt at 6pm on Friday, said enthusiasm and volunteerism characterised the `sensational' event.

"Everyone was absolutely exhausted as they were nearing the world record, but enthusiasm and expectation kept everyone going," Cr Bird said.

He said Horsham was fortunate to now boast two world records after Wimmera Big Splash broke the 24-hour continuous swimming relay world record on February 25 and 26 in 2005.

"Events like this build stronger communities when people get together from across all walks of life to have a crack at creating a record," he said.

Event organiser Alistair Fenton said the atmosphere was electric throughout the record-breaking attempt.

"It was a great feeling to have 24 hours of pumped and psyched-up bowlers doing their best with every ball they put down," Mr Fenton said.

"I thought we'd break the record, but not as early as we did," he said.

He said two teams that simultaneously competed, including the Lane Cruisers and the Pin Munchers, smashed the record at 3.05pm and 4.10pm respectively.

"The aim was to have two teams just in case there was an issue or a break down.

"As it turned out, both teams got there and that makes me even more proud," he said.

The previous 38,960-pin record for the highest pinfall in tenpin bowling in one lane in 24 hours by a team of 12 was achieved by the Marathon Men at Premier Bowling Centre, Raytown, Missouri, USA, on August 26 and 27 last year.

Mr Fenton said the Land Cruisers bowled a total of 42,946 pins, while the Pin Munchers knocked over 41,372 pins. He said team members alternated their play for the endurance event, with two-hour shifts during the night and three-hour shifts during the day.

"I was expecting the mood to be more sombre after 21 hours of bowling, but when that particular ball was bowled there was so much noise and the whole team jumped up."

He said there was anguish about who was going to be honoured with the record-breaking ball, which was bowled by Ashley Batchelor, 22.

Lane Cruiser team member Rosemary Arnott said excitement was central to the event.

"The adrenalin pumping through everyone was incredible," Mrs Arnott said.

"Most of us have hoarse voices, bruised thumbs and sore hands.

"The true record holders were the volunteers out the back, we couldn't possibly have done it without them," she said.

Cr Bird also commended the contributions of volunteers.

"Behind the wall, these unsung heroes manually stacked more than 80,000 skittles in 24 hours," he said.

Mr Fenton said the main inspiration behind the record bid was to raise people's awareness of tenpin bowling in the district.

"It's good for the bowling alley, Horsham and the local area," he said.

He said the record would not be officially confirmed until a Guinness Book of Records certificate was received in the mail, which could take several months.

Taken from http://www.bowlingdigital.com

Well done to all bowlers involved, what a fantastic effort.

Well done to the Horsham bowlers, a fine effort.

Rob

"Behind the wall, these unsung heroes manually stacked more than 80,000 skittles in 24 hours," he said.

PS. Also was nice for the machines to get a mention in the record;)

Great job.
Can someone explain to me how many people bowl when and for how long at a time and that kind of thing.
Just curious

As i understand it the record it not about bowling games (i.e strikes and spares) but simply knocking pins over so each bowler bowled at a full deck each time.
There were literally people manually loading pins (skittles)into the machines to speed up the process of reracking a full deck.
I think it was two teams of twelve with with 6 people per team bowling each shift

Back
Top Bottom