??? rankings ???

craig

6.1 The National Elite Ranking System has been established to clearly answer the question of “who is best in the land?” It will also give a simple gauge to bowlers, administrators, sponsors and the media just how certain bowlers are doing on the national major tournament scene. It also provides all bowlers a set path for making a National Training Squad and ultimately a National Team.

6.2 All bowlers should remember that the rolling 12 months of rankings is a major criterion in the selection of the Seniors, Adult and Youth National teams.

i think this should be editted to MINOR

what a joke, i feel those who met the criteria and were over looked

congratulations to all who made the youth team

Firstly let me congratulate those that have been selected to represent Australia as it would be a fantastic thrill for each one of them and I hope they do well.... however!!!!

Can anybody possibly give me a plausable explanation why three of the top six ranked youth players in the country have been blatantly overlooked for the highest honour in Australian youth bowling????

The rankings system should and cleary does show who has displayed a versatility on a range of conditions over a twelve month period. These bolwers have showcased their respective wares over a lengthy period of time and this alone shows their desire to want to represent at the highest level. These bowlers must and should be given priority when selections are being considered. If they are not selected then they should at least be given a fair and reasonable explanation for non-selection. Some would say that they do not deserve explanation all, but this is not the case when it is seen that these bowlers lay out huge amounts of money, time and devotion to get to the top of a rankings system, that appears to leave them "out in the cold" without being selected.

If anybody can shed some light on this selection process it would be greatly appreciated!!!! :confused: :confused:

I know that if a member of the Senior Tour was to have been overlooked after consistently placing in the top of the rankings, then there would be "questions" asked, and rightly so. Awaiting clarification from those in the know.

You might want to check the availability and eligibility of Australia's top three youth bowlers before you start ranting.

craig said:
what a joke, i feel those who met the criteria and were over looked

Found this on TBA website:
National Training Squad Youth need to complete 6 of the above modules in order to be considered for any 2005 Australian Team. This includes the male and female bowler gaining an automatic selection by virtue of winning the 2004 National Youth Ranking System.

Could this be a reason behind non-selection?
There is a list on www.tenpin.org.au that indicates how many modules have been completed (in the last 12 months i assume).

Some bowlers who were not selected (by the spreadsheet) have completed less than the required amount.

how many had to be completed??

i notice that one person had 2 completed, and they made it in

Making up the rules as they go along. What more can you expect :rolleyes:

Better not bag them too much, or Coburn will continue on his childish ways of calling this website "Totally Anti Bowling"

Why use ranking points.
Why not put everyones name into a hat who would like to make the team, then let them draw out names till they get the ones they want, this is about all they have done anyway.

Here are some interesting statistics, listing
The bowkers ranking
The bowlers averages
Number of Events bowled
Taken after the Melbourne event, they make interesting reading!!

Boys Team
1. Glen Loader 209.37 (9)
4. Mick Zentveld 206.07 (9)
9. Stephen Cowland 194.54 (9)
8 Matthew Kanafa 195.2 (6)

Missed
2. Mat O'Brien 202.34 (8)
6. David Porto 201.54 (10)

Girls Team
1. Jade Flanigan 200.35 (7)
4. Clair Johnston 192.03 (8)
5. Cassie Staudinger 190.86 (10)
8. Toni Woodcock 187.87 (6)

Missed
3. Tracey Madden 194.32 (8)
2. Michelle Halprin 192.4 (6)

Everyone I know is shocked that Ben was not selected.

Apparently the silence was deafening!!

Oh and by the way:

Youth rankings after Melbourne:

5 - Ben Coupland - QLD - 420 points - 12 events - Average 203.66

:(

Unfortunately there has been contraversy with a lot of teams over the years, & when you put the selection of any team in the hands of others you are going to get problems & decisions that not everybody is going to be happy with. These people picking the teams generally have very little bowling experience at the elite level & have to get there jollies by playing with other peoples lives & careers. Personal relationships with bowlers are taken into account & performance is not always No.1.
The best performing bowler for the year wont get selected if a couple of selectors dont like or get on with the bowler in question. Its been going on at a State & National level for years & will go on for a long time to come unless the decision making is taken away from the people concerned.

Here's some good modules

1-Knocking over lots of pins on fair lane conditions
2-Consistently making cuts in elite level events

Only 2 criteria we've needed to pick any kind of rep team over the last 30 odd yrs, cant wait to see the first aus teams picked by this method, as for 'modules' nothing beats on the job training or as golf great Ben Hogan called it 'learning in the dirt'

posted by CHIN:
...These people picking the teams generally have very little bowling experience at the elite level & have to get there jollies by playing with other peoples lives & careers...

i would just like to say, although i see some of the selections as controversial i would hav to dissagree with the statement about the selectors being inexperienced. if you payed attention as to who selected the teams you would notice just how much they have experienced bowling at an elite level. The teams hav been choosen, and for those in them good luck and im sure they will perform well.

my major gripe was the paragraph i put down on starting this post

if rankings aren't the major criteria for selection, thats fine by me

just state the criteria and everyone will follow

if the criteria says you have to perform well on a certain set of conditions, thats fine

if it states you must travel interstate so many times, thats fine too

if it says you must complete a certain amount of modules, thats fine

if it says you must be a right handed bowler, thats fine

they can make any criteria, but they must stick with it

and if people have failed before, they should be told that they won't be considered for selection due to poor performance or mis conduct

people have spent thousands of dollars, and were never in the hunt, because they were mislead into thinking they were following a criteria, but unfortunately the criteria they were following was obviously not the correct one

and thats what has peeved me off

we crash when we tell people to turn right, when really we meant to say turn left.

i am happy for those who have made it and i wish them the very best of lucky in persuing their dream and hope they win some metal

i feel for those who didn't

if i had any criticism for the selection panel, it is a minor one, that is the amount of events they viewed, as for them being uneducated, i tend not to agree with that.

kay101 said:
i would just like to say, although i see some of the selections as controversial i would hav to dissagree with the statement about the selectors being inexperienced. if you payed attention as to who selected the teams you would notice just how much they have experienced bowling at an elite level. The teams hav been choosen, and for those in them good luck and im sure they will perform well.

If you had payed attention also, I never mentioned the selectors for this team had very little bowling experience at the elite level. What I said was:-
"Unfortunately there has been contraversy with a lot of teams over the years"
I dont know who the selectors for this team where & personally dont give a RATS ARSE. As I am to old for youth I dont need to know who to suck up to to make the team.

But if these selectors "have experienced bowling at the elite level" like you say I find that even worse. For somebody who has'nt experienced bowling at that level, you can understand there ignorance or stupidity.

And like you said the teams have been selected, so good luck to all those on the teams & do Australia proud.

I was thinking earlier about how they could decide on the members of the youth team. Why not make it the top 2 eligible bowlers in the national rankings are automatic selections (or even just the top bowler for that matter) and then have a separate roll-off for the remaining spots just like they do for the Asian Schools team.

If people so badly wanted to make the Australian team, then they would (and should) be prepared to travel so they can have that opportunity.

Sure, keep the current stipulations that the bowlers must have completed a certain number of modules, be current members of the NTS etc -- make sure they are enforced, otherwise, a bowler would not be allowed to nominate for a spot in the team.

With a team being based on all out selection, it cannot please absolutely everyone. Its quite obvious that this years announcement is very controversial in many ways. A less controversial way of choosing the Australian team needs to be found for the sake of the bowling community - but more importantly for the sake of the 4 guys and girls so they can get on with their job of representing our country at FIQ level, and not have to worry about any unnecessary squabbling from anyone.

I wish all the members the best of luck over here next Feb in Perth. Hopefully this team can generate as much talk and discussion with their success, as what it has already generated with its selection :D :D

Luke.

Back
Top Bottom