Votes: 21 15.9%
  • Tough conditions

Votes: 71 53.8%
  • I dont care

Votes: 35 26.5%
  • Neither, I don't enjoy bowling national tournaments

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
i bowl on a ditch but the ditch is only for the right handers which me being a lefty and our oiling machine being broken sometimes it dosnt stop oiling and it oils almost to the pins dont know how this is possible but ive been down there and seen also with the mechanics so i guess it would not be a ditch. it is only out side about 7 borad but if the ball hits there its gone it either just keeps rolling or falls in the gutter. i think its better to bowl on something hard then a ditch cos it gives more drive but my condition is just messed up

Hello all and I apologize if I am imposing and trust me I am not trying to change the subject but some of your points have greatly disturbed me. Why are so many (at least 3 on this topic) Kegel lane machines not functioning properly? I do understand the centers that used to be with AMF were in some cases discouraged or not allowed to use Kegel machines unless absolutely necessary. I am also not referring to the new owners of the "AMF chain" that was purchased but the ones of old. Kegel has distributors and technicians in Australia that are more than qualified to repair or advise on repairs involving Kegel manufactured lane machines. So I guess I am trying to find out if we (Kegel) need to make ourselves more available to Australia than maybe we have been. I have traveled there on few occasions either doing seminars or mechanical workshops and have found that most mechanics want to take care of the equipment but either lack the knowledge or funds to do so. I would also like to thank all of you for your kind words about Kegel and to confirm that "Yes" we do coordinate with Alex Popov throughout the year trying to lend a hand where we can. I also think the TBA is making some good policies for the future. They just need some time.
You guys have produced some of the finest players on the planet and will continue to do so because you seek tougher conditions. I had this conversation with Peter Coburn a few years back when he was proposing the 3-1 rule. Just remember this...Easy and Tough/Sport are only relative to the environment and clientele at that particular moment. A 3-1 ratio may work perfectly in center A but the same pattern and ratio in center B plays like a dead wall house condition. That is why we focus and push so hard for inspections and information. Finally....if you know of anyone having problems with thier lane machine/s please have them contact us at 1-863-734-0200 or at www.kegel.net.

Have a great day,
Don Agent
International Technician, Kegel

I want these sport type conditions in league. I am not at a national tournament level as yet...hell, may never get there, but want to be on a condition that challenges me and makes me think about shot placement and when to make adjustments.
Conditions where if you miss left (I'm a righty) and it slides in oil to still make pocket, or miss right and the dry lets it come back up, are fine to get your average up. But it does little to teach me to adjust for conditions.
I do a bit of reading on the subject of lane conditions and how to play different conditions, but if you don't get them in league it is hard to put that theory to practise. I would like to see a league that caters for the 180+ average and lays down a sport type condition that makes shot placement more of a factor.
When you practice in that house, play inside 4th arrow with a low end ball. That way you stay in the flat, wet part of the pattern. Works for me. ;-)

For me, I like a challenge. The reason being is that I believe the more I am challenged, the more I am able to learn, the more I become a custom to what my gear can and can't do, and most importantly, the more I discover that I need to work on.

Having 20 boards of area may be fun...but when the time comes when I have to be able to hit the same board over and over again on maybe a totally flooded or desert dry shot, the more challenges I face before I have to bowl on those shots, the better I think it will be for me personally.

I haven't bowled in a lot of youth tournaments yet, but from the ones I have bowled in, I've taken away a lot of lessons. The experience on bowling on some of the youth patterns, and a lot of junior patterns as well, has gotten me to try new things, set some challenges, and work on things I might not have thought of before. Above all, it's about testing your limits and giving it your all in the pursuit to better your game.

A challenge is what i think to be beneficial for my game.

Ciao Now

Rowey :p

I have 2 averages, 1 is 185 and 1 is 230. I believe the main problem with lanes conditions is in the midlane where the ball should be able to talk to the lane to put it in the roll then in turn giving you a predictable breakpoint. Some centres have a predictabel breakpoint where others dont. For the most part I believe that in centres where there is an unpredictable midlane transition the players with slower ball speeds and lower hand shots will always score higher where on a condition where the ball can communicate with the lane the scoring is a lot fairer but will more than likely give give the bigger hand bowlers an advantage.

The oiling of a lane is number one to protect the lane, especially the heads but the problem is for some people as soon as you put oil in the heads they say oh its to oily. So to help them out you take oil out of the midlane to give them early roll taking away the crucial part of the bowlers requirement which is the midlane transition.

So I believe what needs to happen is:-
1. Oil needs to be put back into the midlane
2. Bowlers need to learn to lift the ball instead of relying on new ball technology and drilling layouts to get there ball up.

Matthew Lambrick

Good post Matt, I'm the same average situation...the only thing I would say is I think a lot of bowlers need to learn how to play 5 board.Some players areone dimensional, if their ball doesnt work around 10-15 board, they dunno what to do. Some people I guess also just dont lift (cant lift) the ball. For them, a 800 grit finish aggressive ball down 5 board is a great get out shot in most places.

Out of curiosty, are you talking about the 180-190 average bowlers that are 180-190 average bowlers dues to the "ditch" conditons that a lot bowl on, or are you talking about the true 180-190 average bowlers that are actually averaging 200-210?

Poll that one tonx

Something thats a fair condition with the opportunity to score on. Doesnt have to be a tough sport condition, but there needs to be a bit out OB and a bit of length to keep bowling fun. When you end up having to throw the ball, fun goes out the door along with my shoulder. :p

So, out of the two, sport :)

Hello all and I apologize if I am imposing and trust me I am not trying to change the subject but some of your points have greatly disturbed me. Why are so many (at least 3 on this topic) Kegel lane machines not functioning properly? I do understand the centers that used to be with AMF were in some cases discouraged or not allowed to use Kegel machines unless absolutely necessary. I am also not referring to the new owners of the "AMF chain" that was purchased but the ones of old. Kegel has distributors and technicians in Australia that are more than qualified to repair or advise on repairs involving Kegel manufactured lane machines. So I guess I am trying to find out if we (Kegel) need to make ourselves more available to Australia than maybe we have been. I have traveled there on few occasions either doing seminars or mechanical workshops and have found that most mechanics want to take care of the equipment but either lack the knowledge or funds to do so. I would also like to thank all of you for your kind words about Kegel and to confirm that "Yes" we do coordinate with Alex Popov throughout the year trying to lend a hand where we can. I also think the TBA is making some good policies for the future. They just need some time.
You guys have produced some of the finest players on the planet and will continue to do so because you seek tougher conditions. I had this conversation with Peter Coburn a few years back when he was proposing the 3-1 rule. Just remember this...Easy and Tough/Sport are only relative to the environment and clientele at that particular moment. A 3-1 ratio may work perfectly in center A but the same pattern and ratio in center B plays like a dead wall house condition. That is why we focus and push so hard for inspections and information. Finally....if you know of anyone having problems with thier lane machine/s please have them contact us at 1-863-734-0200 or at www.kegel.net.
Have a great day,
Don Agent
International Technician, Kegel

Hey Donny,
Im Glad you mentioned the old Ownership
Currentlly we are rolling out kegel equipment as fast as possible ( To the Best of My Knowledge )
We have alot of guys over here now that can maintain and trouble shoot Kegel Equipment None of our Centres that Im Aware of are having any issues with your Equipment

Gus Comming over just prior to Brunswick Australia Cup
was Fantastic and all the guys that attended the seminars
recived a great deal of information
It's Great to see you guys follow bowling right around the globe

Best Regards
Greg Robertson
Muti Site Facilities Manager
Amf Bowling Centres Australia

Something thats a fair condition with the opportunity to score on. Doesnt have to be a tough sport condition, but there needs to be a bit out OB and a bit of length to keep bowling fun. When you end up having to throw the ball, fun goes out the door along with my shoulder. :p
So, out of the two, sport :)

Out of Bounds Helps No one
Don't get caught up to much in ratio's they aren't a good guide as to how a pattern will play
Lane Condition
Lane surface Tention ( Rocks )
Topograph
Relative Humidity
Lane Bed Temperature
Lenthwise Taper
Scoring Pace
These are just a few variables that need to be taken into
Account before a Pattern is Even Written

Matt i Agree with you Too Many centres have an early midlane transition

Regarding out-of-bounds conditions, more than 90% of mid-level and high skilled bowlers can't tell the difference between an OOB and a lane that is simply oiled to the edge. I have had a number of high average bowlers in Brissy tell me a condition is OOB because when they miss right by 5 boards the ball (gasp!) doesn't make the headpin.

The trouble with the 10-10 wall is it can create an OOB if the lanes are then oiled edge to edge, as happened at Qld Cup or the coca-cola at Mt Gravatt a while back. Makes it a nightmare for the pattern designer when 1-10 are glazed.

Are you still using my Fast Patten Robbie?
Under/Over is often mistaken for an Out of Bounds
guys see this and move deeper and make it worse
instead of playing more direct
what ever happend to the old saying if in doubt move out

Hi Greg,
Dunno what Craig has on the lanes ATM. Its oiled to the edge, but its still pretty friendly.
Hard to move out if theres no oil at all outside 9 board.

When talking about lane conditions on must remember what ball the bowler is bowling with .
Your average league bowler mostly bowl with house balls or plastic which to them a slick condition would be a dry condition for top bowlers with the reactive etc balls would be dry.

I dont know enough about lane conditions to bother with it yet, our local centre (for me anyway, everyone always whinges about it changing) doesnt change, i rarely have to change anything in my approach or release.

As for the other centres in my region, the only others ive bowled at are Grafton and Port Macquarie, Grafton from memory for me was pretty consistent (although I cant remember how the lanes were), and the lanes at Port weren't too bad either.

One day id love to bowl on varying oil patterns, but with the way things are run at the local, that wont happen any time soon, Cameron Walsh drilled my gear, from Ballina, so I think thats going to be my next port of call

my choice is that i need to bowl on more tougher conditions
after rolling off for qld rachiug today it took me pretty much a whole game to figure out sparing on the long oil pattern something i am not used to at all
and that game maybe cost me a spot in the side
i feel if i had more time on patterns like that it maybe would have taken 3-4 frames to get back on it
and saying that mostly it is my own fault because there is the sports series and stuff i just have to find time to bowl in them

daniel d

i always complain that theres not enough oil in my house, i actually bowl on a fresh THS. however i have to take advantage of the dry outsides since many bowlers who averages 200+ are doin so, i only average 186 and i chose more difficult condition.

my choice is that i need to bowl on more tougher conditions
after rolling off for qld rachiug today it took me pretty much a whole game to figure out sparing on the long oil pattern something i am not used to at all
and that game maybe cost me a spot in the side
i feel if i had more time on patterns like that it maybe would have taken 3-4 frames to get back on it
and saying that mostly it is my own fault because there is the sports series and stuff i just have to find time to bowl in them
daniel d

See a coach
a good spare tecnique takes the lane out of play
it's a mistake to hook at spares ( Ugly combinations exculded)

Yikes bowling has changed since i gave the game away and now have started bowling again.Gee tonight I bowled my highest since being back being a 244 at Berri. Should I retire again as I would not know if this is hard or easy conditions? actually the staff would not know as well.I was thinking about having a go in a tournment for the fun, but now wonder should I?

Back
Top Bottom