QLD Masters

andrewbc

Just Wondering if Anybody can give any information in regards to the Masters board.

How many qualifiers, whats the cut and if possible some names.

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew,

There is a full field of 32 (plus lots of reserves) for the Queensland Men's Open Masters to be held at Legends on August 5. The last cut I saw was 611.

Bowlers from Toowoomba and Mackay won the Ladies' and Mens' Divisions, respectively, of the 2001 Queensland Open Masters Finals, held at Legends Tenpin Bowl (Labrador) on August 5. The format for both Divisions was 32 Person, Double Elimination, Matchplay (2 game matches).

The Ladies Winner was Lisa Quaedvlieg, the Toowoomba Area Champion, who, having won her first five Matches, went straight to Round 9, while the remaining five bowlers "slugged" it out for the honour of challenging her in the Grand Final.

After losing to Kellie Hart in the first Match of the Grand Final, Lisa came from a long way behind to win the repechage Match. However, she needed to roll a brilliant 279 in the second game to take out the 2001 Title in a thrilling finish.

I suspect many of the other finalists are still trying to work out how Lisa managed to role such a score at the end of a long day during which the conditions (never easy) got progressively tougher to the point where some of the State's Top Male bowlers struggled to bowl 330/340 Blocks - and yet still WON their Matches!!

The Top Six (6) Finishers in the Ladies Open Masters and their Qualifying Scores and Positions were:

1st Lisa Quaedvlieg - Toowoomba Area Champion
2nd Kellie Hart - 631, 9th
3rd Renae King - 576, 16th
4th Alicia Meads - 604 14th
5th Rebekah Meads - Gympie Champion and Tanya Stevenson - 628, 10th

The Mens Winner was John Grendon of Mackay who made it into the Finals from the 4th Reserve spot, courtesy of non-shows by higher-placed bowlers, including three of the Area Champions. Having won his first five Matches to move straight to Round 9, John maintained his cool to defeat Sid Ciancio in a high quality Grand Final played in very tough conditions.

The Top Six (6) Finishers in the Mens Open Masters and their Qualifying Scores and Positions were:

1st John Grendon - 590, 36th
2nd Sid Ciancio - 701, 20th
3rd Morty Douglass - 768, 14th
4th Daryl Alford - Gympie Champion
5th Alistair Howard - 627, 29th and Jim Murray - 684, 22nd

From memory (which may well be faulty and for which I apologise in advance), the four bowlers eliminated in Round 5, and who thus filled the 7th to 10th Positions, were:

Ian Hughes - 685, 21st
Barry Fagg - Toowoomba Area Champion
Jon King - 793, 13th and
Max Wooller - Rockhampton Champion

Congratulations to the six 2001 Masters Winners and to all the bowlers who qualified for the Finals in the Open, Restricted and Veteran Masters.

Thanks to Ian Renfrey and his small band of helpers. In his first (but not his last) outing as a Tournament Director, and with minimal training, Ian ran a very good State Championships, culminating in the various Masters Events. Thanks too, to Mrs Nell Weir, Mrs Joan Hackles and Mrs Sue Gower, who gave willing of their substantial skill and experience to run the complex lane draw and other aspects of the Masters whilst Ian (who qualified equal 29th in the Mens Open, with 627) took "time off" to enjoy himself on the Lanes.

In reguards to the masters and the championships... Where can we find out the results from the championships?

Jason,

Your best point of contact is the Tournament Director, Ian Renfrey (telephone: 3287 1274). I think Ian is planning to put some of the information on the TBAQ website at http://www.powerup.com.au/~tbaq/ once he has had a chance to compile and check the results.

Hedley,

You almost got it right - the final ten placings in the Mens Masters were:

1st Jon Grendon
2nd Sid Ciancio
3rd Morty Douglass
4th Daryl Alford
5th Al Howard
6th Jim Murray
7th Brett Flewellen
8th Ian Hughes
9th Max Wooller
10th Barry Fagg

These are DEFINITE
see you Tuesday

Tamerett,

I think I need to double-up on the quota of apologies. Mea culpa; how could I have missed the "BIG-RIG"?
icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif
Actually, I think I know the answer to my own question. With Al locked in a tight 5th Round, frame-by-frame, struggle with the Mighty, Ian Hughes, and me gnawing my elbows to the bone, it was shear fluke that I got any of the other three right. Still that's no excuse. Sorry, Brett and Congratulations on a great effort!!

Who did Brett eliminate in the 4th Round?

Hedley,
The 4th round was my first loss and it was to Sid Ciancio - lost concentration - then I had to take on the "Mighty Morty" AAAHHH
Still have to come to terms with being over awed by these big guns!!!!

Jason (Borey),

You finished 1st in the "A" Grade All Events at the Queensland State Championships with a total of 1,889 pins, 39 ahead of Daniel, your nearest rival. That total would have been good enough to secure you 7th spot in the Open All Events.

You were placed 2nd in the "A" Grade Singles with 589 pins, 19 behind Daniel and 3 ahead of John Lilley.

You and Cory Knowles were placed 2nd in the Classic Doubles with 1,125 pins and you and Daniel were placed 4th in the "A" Grade Doubles with 1,107 pins.

I'm not sure of the name of the team you bowled in, but, IF it was "Mountain Men", you finished 10th in the Open Teams.

Hedley
my team was actually Team Sunset.
How do I find out about and collect whatever prize money i have won
Thanks for letting me know those results
Jason

Jason,

Sunset Men finished 5th (2,977 pins) in the Open Teams, behind Rachuig Men (3,305), Brisbane 1 (3,085), Phil Ramsay (3,078) and Brando's Boys (2,984).

I assume Ian and his helpers are still working their way through all the relevant paperwork and that the prize money will be distributed to the address shown on the Entry Form once this fairly substantial task is completed. In the meantime, Ian can probably tell you over the 'phone, on an unofficial basis, how much you have won.

Congratulations on a very successful State Championships.

Back
Top Bottom