PS3 region question

Hi Guys,

I have a question for the PS3 owners here who might be able to help me.

I recently picked up a bonus PS3 (40Gb version of course) when I bought my Sony Bravia TV. I am getting lots of contradictory information regarding region compatibility. I wish to buy NTSC (Region 2) games and blu-ray movies from the US as they are much cheaper and I've been assured by several US sellers that all PS3's are region free and they will play any games regardless of which country they are from. Can anyone confirm this? Also, has anyone played a Region 2 blu-ray movie on their PS3?

I have tried two different Region 2 DVD movies on my PS3 and get the message 'This disc cannot be played. The region code is not correct'. Can I assume I will get the same outcome if I try Region 2 blu-ray?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The games are region free.

DVD's are regioned as to Blu Ray i believe.

I will test out the Blu Ray region question tomorrow as i know a bloke who has quiet a number of Region 2 Blu Ray disc.

thats correct the games are all region free so you can get those anywhere however the movies on both dvd and blu ray are region coded so you need to use region 4 discs in an australian ps3

What has been said is correct. Games are completely region free. Movies you will need to buy in Australia.

On Edit, I suggest not buying Guitar Hero 3, it may very well be the last game you play for a while ;)

What has been said is correct. Games are completely region free. Movies you will need to buy in Australia.
On Edit, I suggest not buying Guitar Hero 3, it may very well be the last game you play for a while ;)

Rock Band my friend, GTA IV is gathering dust in the corner..... man its good fun.

Not to long to wait for Guitar Hero: World Tour though :)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have since been advised by an old work colleague that approx 80% of blu-ray movies are region free, the rest are region locked. I was provided with an up-to-date list of all current releases and their compatibility. Blu-ray is separated by 3 regions as follows.

Region A - US, Japan, Hong Kong, China, Korea

Region B - Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Spain, Italy and other European Countries

Region C - Central and South Asia, Mongolia, Russia, and People's Republic of China

If ur looking for a cheap place to get games from, I've got 10 PS3 games from www.play-asia.com so far. Very, very cheap, and pretty quick delivery too :D

Games so far:
Grand Theft Auto IV
Metal Gear Solid 4
Ridge Racer 7
Virtua Fighter 5
Burnout Paradise
Fifa 08
Madden 08
NBA 2K8
The Orange Box
Resistance: Fall of Man

Back