Places that need more lanes and alleys!

StrikerMatt

First of all im starting to get sick of only ten pin bowling alley, Kirwan Lanes in Townsville which have 24 lanes. It not enough for city of 200,000! Mt Lousia closed down and it didnt sound it going to reopen at all. Seriously Townsville need another alley of 24 lanes!

Down the coast, Ballina NSW need new alley because its always too small for city of 50,000. 12 lanes is not enough!

We live in a world of supply and demand. Tenpin has nowhere near as much demand as what it had in years gone by. We see more centres closing nowa days than are opening, which is only following the trend of league numbers falling, social play dwindling due to constant game price increases etc. Im sure if the demand was high enough, and someone had the money to be able to do it, another centre would be bulit in Townsville, and in most other places for that matter...................

First of all im starting to get sick of only ten pin bowling alley, Kirwan Lanes in Townsville which have 24 lanes. It not enough for city of 200,000! Mt Lousia closed down and it didnt sound it going to reopen at all. Seriously Townsville need another alley of 24 lanes!

Down the coast, Ballina NSW need new alley because its always too small for city of 50,000. 12 lanes is not enough!

Hey, Mathew,

Mate, you've got to come into the real world of commerce with the rest of us. Bowling Centres are EXPENSIVE places to run and maintain.
Ballina has just replaced it's machines and returns. It will take months to recover financially for the operators ( Emma and Cameron Walsh ) and years for the Lessor to do the same, ( despite doubtless putting the rent up ).

When the lanes are 80 or 90% full whenever the Centre is open, which may be never, then it's time to expand.

LANES please !!!!! We have Lanes and Bowling Centres

AMERICA has Alleys !!!!!

Sorry for definition confusion Geoff.

I was meant the lanes is for additional bowling lanes in the centre. Not the new centre as of i used the alley word.

jimcross: I am league member of Ballina since 2006, i used to play monday league. I remember the computer system is poor. The lane surface is crap.

What is the centre looking for since the machine and returns?

Until the day arrives if/when bowling in this country gets back to its halcyon days of the 1970's up until the very early 90's, it would be absolute financial suicide for centre owners to increase lanes numbers in their centres when they can't fill the ones they've already got.
Same with building more centres in cities such as Townsville, Hobart etc with similar populations.

It's a bit like building a brand new, shiny 20,000-seat grandstand complete with corporate boxes etc at a football stadium and your average home attendance is only 3,000 and has been dropping markedly for several years without ever looking like improving - not a lot of point to it.
People just simply don't have the time they used to anymore and the obvious increases in costs to play (because of high overheads) discourages many who might like to get involved as they once might've.

jimcross: I am league member of Ballina since 2006, i used to play monday league. I remember the computer system is poor. The lane surface is crap.

What is the centre looking for since the machine and returns?

Mathew, let's take one point at a time...............
1. Any computer system, as far as I can tell, doesn't affect my bowling in any way. In any case, in 2006 it was an up-to-date 'Computer Score' system.

2.'The lane surface is crap' Nonsense!!! They're wooden lanes, sure. That's what all bowling lanes were for probably around 80 years. They're properly maintained, and have been for many years by an expert in Cameron Walsh and his staff.
At Ballina, there's no magic oiling produced 'house shot' which gives unearned scores to anyone. The lanes are fair, and above all,...CONSISTANT. However if you want to score well, it's a real good idea to learn to bowl first.

As far as the new machines go, bowlers won't notice much difference, as the old 'Odin' machines, against all odds, and contrary to the experiences where they were installed elsewhere in Australia, operated reliably, ( again because of Cameron ). The difference is that the 'behind the scenes' unbelieveably high maintenance of the Odins will be reduced to a level consistant with other Centres.

This issue is still hanging around!

I just drove all the way from Uni to there and get NO GAMES! It always booked out for million of times. Its aboustely ridciolous that Mt Lousia closed down and putting alot of pressure over Kirwan Lanes restricting 'practice games' and that for me.

I have very good planning and organisation skills and i use diary to plan the time between liesure and study and that related. This issue is always interuptting my organisation putting too much pressure on my study and other stuff!

Why can't get more lanes like it used to be?
Look at Toowoomba, it got two centres and its smaller than Townsville! Why we cant be like them??

Perhaps you could book your lanes for Sat/Sun when you come in for league on Wednesday nights?
Kirwan is busy every weekend! Maybe planning ahead is a good idea.

Scott.

Yes Matt use those "very good planning and organisation skills" and ring ahead and book to avoid wasted travel, just a thought ;)

This issue is still hanging around!

I just drove all the way from Uni to there and get NO GAMES! It always booked out for million of times. Its aboustely ridciolous that Mt Lousia closed down and putting alot of pressure over Kirwan Lanes restricting 'practice games' and that for me.I have very good planning and organisation skills and i use diary to plan the time between liesure and study and that related. This issue is always interuptting my organisation putting too much pressure on my study and other stuff!

Why can't get more lanes like it used to be?
Look at Toowoomba, it got two centres and its smaller than Townsville! Why we cant be like them??

Hey Mat,

If it's that much of an issue for you why don't you open a bowling alley yourself!!! Oh that's right coz it costs A LOT OF MONEY!!!!!!!

It's all good to get on and bleat about how hard things are for you (because you're so organised you couldn't make a prior booking :rolleyes:),

Running a centre and keeping the doors open isn't easy. Overheads such as electricty, utilities, wages etc are getting higher and higher, and unless you own the building you also have rent and other associated costs. Then you actually have to get people coming through the door in order to survive.

So unless you have a lot of money or know somebody that does, things are not likely to change in the near future, so my suggestion would be to make a permanent booking so that you can do your practice and reduce your stress/pressure.

I used to live in Charters Towers many years ago and bowled at the bowling centre there (it has since closed down), but we had an annual tournament between us and Currajong Bowl in Townsville, what ever happened to that Centre?

Hey Resurrection, Currajong Bowl was formerly Mt Lousia Lanes. Im sure bowling was very entertaining and popular before the taxes was formed in (GST introduction).

I will book my practice games and related in prior time. Thanks for a tip.

seriously get over it and think a little before assumptions get in the way of facts ...actually take note of others like steve (shadows).

Mathew, let's take one point at a time...............
1. Any computer system, as far as I can tell, doesn't affect my bowling in any way. In any case, in 2006 it was an up-to-date 'Computer Score' system.

2.'The lane surface is crap' Nonsense!!! They're wooden lanes, sure. That's what all bowling lanes were for probably around 80 years. They're properly maintained, and have been for many years by an expert in Cameron Walsh and his staff.
At Ballina, there's no magic oiling produced 'house shot' which gives unearned scores to anyone. The lanes are fair, and above all,...CONSISTANT. However if you want to score well, it's a real good idea to learn to bowl first.

As far as the new machines go, bowlers won't notice much difference, as the old 'Odin' machines, against all odds, and contrary to the experiences where they were installed elsewhere in Australia, operated reliably, ( again because of Cameron ). The difference is that the 'behind the scenes' unbelieveably high maintenance of the Odins will be reduced to a level consistant with other Centres.

Cameron got rid of those odins? I remember being let down the back & seeing them (being an aspiring mechanic, & working as an 82-30 tech), oh my god! The amount of belts & pulleys was just disgusting =P
I'd still prefer wooden lanes to the synthetics that I bowl on now. Actually, to be honest, I'm not completely sure anymore. Each surface has its benefits. I definitely prefer wooden apps though.

I remember Ballina's condition being easilly scoreable though, if you could stay consistant. Are they still using the silver bullet?

whats wrong with odin machines ,talking about more lanes , ive seen bowling centres close due to lack off bowlers ,changes to workers employement ,the price off bowling equipement ,then ive seen bowling centres remove lanes to put in other features to bring in more money for there overhead costs

Cameron got rid of those odins? I remember being let down the back & seeing them (being an aspiring mechanic, & working as an 82-30 tech), oh my god! The amount of belts & pulleys was just disgusting =P
I'd still prefer wooden lanes to the synthetics that I bowl on now. Actually, to be honest, I'm not completely sure anymore. Each surface has its benefits. I definitely prefer wooden apps though.

I remember Ballina's condition being easilly scoreable though, if you could stay consistant. Are they still using the silver bullet?

Yes i think they did. I have been using the lanes this week and the oil is incredibly good! Its easily hook the ball when i actually flick the ball!

whats wrong with odin machines

Nothing wrong with odin machines at all, except for the fact they are overly complicated compared to newer machinery. They would be awesome to work on if you had a manual in english, I reckon. (they are a japanese design I believe?)

Back
Top Bottom