Peterson Points System

C

cmlean

There seem to be variations on the Peterson Points System. Does anyone know where it is available from or if anyone uses it at the moment?

I bowled in a singles league some years back and the system that was used was 50 pins = 1 point and a win each game was 1 point and one for pinfall.
Eg -- total series (including handicap) 680 - won all games and series
650 pins = 13 points
remaining 30 pins = 0.30 points
4 points for all wins = 4.0 points
Total 17.30 points
Hope this helps

Regards

Gary Black

I guess this is where his problem is tonx - everyone is different (and he is trying to work out what is "correct"
-- we used 50 pins 1 point and remainder only counted for what it was -- eg 30 pins 0.30point not 0.60 Only got full point for 50 pins.

cmlean said:
There seem to be variations on the Peterson Points System. Does anyone know where it is available from or if anyone uses it at the moment?

Hi Chris ;)

I used to bowl in a Peterson points league - I might be able to point you in the right direction, I'll talk to you tomorrow about it.

Cheers,
Tim. :)

The way I understand it is that you get one point for a win, 0.5 point for a draw and 0 points for a loss. Peterson points can be 1 point per 100 pins and fractions of a point for the residual but I have also seen that you only get the Peterson points IF you win. This is my main concern. My feeling is that you should get the Peterson points irrespective of winning or losing the overall series.
eg
Bowl 875 with hcp and win all games in a 4 game league.
4 points for the games.
1 point for the overall series.
8.75 Peterson points.

Total 13.75points

Dunn Shield uses Peterson Points and as I understand it we get 1 point for a win, 2 points for the overall and 1 point for every 50 pins pinfall (or .02 points per pin). Dunn Shield is a 5 man team event

Eg
Bowl 977, win all 5 Head to head and the overall
5 points + 2 for the overall
19 point for 950 pins
0.54 points for the 27 pins remaining.

Total score 26.54 points

Pinfall points are awarded win, lose or draw

Graeme

Our Wednesday night league operates on a fairly simplified version of Peterson's Points.
Whereby we have 4-man teams and each individual bowler is able to gain up to four points (3 individual handicap games, and handicap series) for his/her team on the night.
The team can earn up to a maximum of 18-points for a match (16 individual points and 2 points for the team handicap series total at the end)
Works fairly well, no dramas.

I have bowled in tournaments where more involved versions of Peterson's Points were awarded (the old Inter-Association tournament was one of those from memory) and others.
Seems to be a few varying versions of it.

Hey Chris,

My old Scratch Singles league at Campbelltown uses Peterson points and it seems to work fairly well. It's a 4 game block with each game and overall series worth 2 points and then 1 point for every 50 pins bowled (and part thereof).

So, for example, let's say you bowl an 800 block and win all your games:
Game points = 2x4 = 8
Series point = 2x1 = 2
Peterson points = 800/50 = 16
Total points = 26.

You get the Peterson points win, lose, or draw. If you didn't, the gap between the haaves and have-nots would resemble a canyon within a few weeks.

Hope this helps. We can go through it tomorrow if you want.

Greg

Thanks Tim. I will speak to you Tuesday. To everyone else, thanks for your contributions.

This is for a singles league at Aspley that has been running a hybrid scoring system for the past few years however it may need refining due to gripes in the league.

I feel that I will propose what my understanding of Petersons is with 1 point per 100 pins and part thereof.

cmlean said:
I feel that I will propose what my understanding of Petersons is with 1 point per 100 pins and part thereof.
If anyone has any other information, it would still be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom