OMG. 2X 300s. One Half Reaction

jimcross

OMG.. We get 2 X 300s and ONE half hearted Congrats.

Every time on any thread, where I, in full acknowledgement of the facts: yes facts, that there is no going back, ( without a player revolution ) every time I say anything that infers that the lane, ball and conditioning machine makers have effectively ruined the game, I get this massive reaction from those who have only seen it basically as it has been since, say, the 80s, and onwards.

In the 60s the people who came out at or near the top, did so because they were more consistent, were more accurate, and who developed, and repeated, a good approach and ball release. They physically did it.

Today, that all helps, but the ones more adept at reading lane patterns, can fit the best ball to the condition, know when to change, both the ball and line, and so on, will get the prize. Why not take up chess, instead?

To prove that the conditions set can have more effect than the physical game apparently, scoring can be made in a range from impossible to score to impossible to miss. Seriously, this is good?

Have a look at the attachments on the thread “ Milestone in Australian Bowling”, then imagine, if you can what a reaction two consecutive 300 games would have generated then, in 1963, when it was ALL SKILL. And today we get one half-reaction?

And we’ve made it better? We don’t need to curb this continuous manipulation, and try to turn it back into a legitimate sport?

It's called evolution Jim... Don't take that as saying that I don't agree with you to a certain extent but you can't really compare "the good old days" to now. Yes, there are some centres who bring the game into disrepute by laying easy conditions but you can't deny the fact that bowlers today can't be compared to bowlers in the 60's, 70's or 80's... To say that back then it was all skill implies that there is no skill in today's game and I'm sorry to say that I don't agree that bowlers at the top are less accurate, consistent or unable to repeat shots or ever less physical than those at the top back then... There are plenty of bowlers around today who have just as much skill, consistency, accuracy and power if not more that those of yesteryear... (and I'm not one of them)

But before I get shot down in flames due to my age I have been around bowling lanes long before I picked up a ball, I've seen the good old days so to speak, bowling on old, split lacquered lanes which were oiled with a spray bottle or a rag soaked in lane oil and 'mopped' on. When the only balls available were polyester and rubber.

Back
Top Bottom