New Adult Committee for Qld.

I have a suggestion for the Youth Team would be both ends of the state have a rolloff, we take the top 2 of each team from north and south as the first team and the bottom two as the invitational team. From there have a training camp midway through the state as in Maryborough for example and work it from there. As far as Rachuig goes the same could work for them as well.
Chris Ireland
Youth Chairperson

I cant see why you cant have a roll off up north and then a roll off down south, I mean alot of these people travel to tournaments during the year anyway, and why is that because they love to bowl, so why wouldn’t they commit to rolling off up north and then down south. If we have to bowl as one state it is only fair that we roll off up north one weekend and roll off down south one weekend, if you don’t like what the committee decides then don’t roll off.

I think no matter what happens North Queensland and South Queensland committee’s will do what is best for the bowlers. I know here in South Queensland our committee listens to the bowlers and there needs, and has really tried over the years to accommodate for all, I cannot speak on behalf of North Queensland but I am sure they do the same.

Just my view on it all.

Sorry Kel before my last post was accidently deleted, i was saying that the last three years of Queensland Rachuiq before it was split in two, that we have had more numbers turn up to roll offs now that its been split then Queensland had for the last three years. I think one of those years * women and 11 men.!!!!!!! For whole of Queenesland.

Sam,

Sorry we didn’t just accidentally delete your posts, i did mine as well so it didn’t look like we were singling you out.;)

As for the topic at hand, i will repost my reply to you as close as I can as to how it read before the debacle.

Why don’t you guys from North Queensland post some ideas as well? Surely people from the North must also be talking about what would and wouldn’t work with the new plan for 2007. Both comities want ideas from the bowlers North and South. Instead of people posting ways that it hasn’t worked in the past, let’s look for new ideas or sometimes old ideas revamped to work with the now bowlers.

What we have to consider is that bowling in Qld just a short time ago at both representative and tournament levels, wasn’t really what I would call at its peak. Numbers have now started to increase at tournaments for the short term anyway, and things that haven’t worked in the past, doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t work now.

We have two comities both North and South, with new members on them and new members that are willing to also listen to what the bowlers have to say. The more ideas that are on the table especially if they are what the bowlers would like to see the happier people will be.

If no one is willing to put there hand up then they only have themselves to blame. If everyone is given a chance to have an input, like both Kellie and Andrew have said if they want to bowl they will. Why? Because they love to bowl. Problem we have is that everyone looks for an excuse for it not to work, rather than a solution for the situation at hand.

I remember someone mentioning picking North and South teams and them have the play against each other.

This was an idea i thought could work.

Have seperate rolls as both zones do now

The top 7 men and women get picked and play against the top 7 men and women from the other zone over a weekend in say Rocky, playing every over team 4 times (12 games).

At the end of the 12 games bowlers in positions 1 - 7 represent QLD and bowlers 8 - 14 represent the Qld Invitation side, that way both Zones have 7 representives at Rachuiq between the two teams.

Ive tried to think of a few arguements why it wouldnt work and some soulitions.

The first one that comes to mind is with 7 person teams how do u fairly work out the rotations, the way to work that is the top five quailfiers start the tournament and then the two lowest scorers sit out the next game, that way all bowlers will atleast bowl 6 games and more if their good enough.

Just an idea i would be keen to see what people think?

Is the invitational Team allowed to win the Tournament?

If they are, then why not select the teams as we have for the past 3 years i.e. One Team for North Queensland and one Team for south Queensland

Then Rotate Year about which is called The Qld Team and The Qld Invitational Team.

We will still know whos who

Rob

Rob,

There aren’t any Guarantees that an invitation will be sent to Qld every year to field a second Team. I just think no matter how we roll off, select or decide to send the two teams when they are both invited, the Teams should be open for every Queenslander in the state to be eligible to make them, and that’s regardless of how and where they are selected from

Can someone please explain what is the purpose of having an invitational team, the thinking behind it? Why has this idea been formulated?

I think the whole point of this exercise is being lost here. Currently there is a North Qld and a South Qld team, not a Queensland firsts and seconds. If the invitational team is not going to be selected on geographical grounds, then the effect is to give Queensland as a single State two teams in the tournament. In my view, there is a big difference between Queensland being split geographically into two regions, each of which sends a team, and allowing Queensland as a whole to field two teams. The latter scenario is patently unfair to the other States, and does nothing to alleviate the travelling involved for those in the North and South who make either team.

If I understand the situation correctly, one problem is that there will be in 2007 a Queensland team, open to everyone in the State, and a second team - call it NQ for the moment - open only to bowlers in the NQ area. Theoretically this could give bowlers from NQ two chances to make a team. Now hopefully nobody from NQ would have the hide to try out for 'Queensland' and later roll off for NQ, and certainly this could be avoided by ruling from TBA (Q?) that bowlers may only enter one roll off. There is still the possibility that a bowler nominally from NQ could rolloff for what is currently SQ, and I don't think that it is possible, given the requirement that there be a team from "Queensland" to avoid this. Again this is somewhat unfair to SQ, as they don't have a choice under this scenario to bowl for NQ.

If the invitational team alternated each year, so that in 2008 "Queensland" was the current NQ, and the invite went to South Qld, that would at least even things out but it would get very messy from year to year.

If we go back to one team for the entire State, I can't see why the qualifying in a mojor tournament - one North, one South - could not be used as the rolloff. Make everyone who wants to nominate bowl in the same squad, so everyone bowls on the same condition. The issue then becomes coaching/training sessions. Just don't hold them in Rocky :) .

Robbie.

Surely unfairness to the other States is NT fielding its own Team with 2 Bowling Centres in the entire Territory.
Look how many Centres there are in Qld.
In my book they should have combined NT with SA long ago.

The Spanner said:
Well, whatever it may be, it sounds like we should get a few more people to the QLD AGM next year.

Peter I doubt that very much. With the exception of Kay Harris the North are not even vaguely interested in attending AGMs any more.
You dont believe me?
The Board once made the mistake of actually holding the AGM up North one year. I think it was in Mackay.
They couldnt even raise a legal quorum.
Enough said?

I agree with Robbie. If qld fields a combined first and second team next year, its very likely teams such as NSW will protest such a move as a "2nd" NSW team would probably be the equal if not better than most states 1st team. Then, i'm sure, the invite for Qld to field 2 teams would be quickly withdrawn for 2008.

Robbie I hear what your saying but I think given the opportunity there would be a FEW individuals from the North Queensland give the 'SQ' team a crack first. Yes this would create a 'super' team but it would also dissadvantage the NQ invitational team.

There is no way of stopping North Queensland bowlers attempting to make the 'SQ' team as per the new ASC guidelines. Would it stop SQ bowlers who didnt make it rolling off for NQ? Who knows......

It certainly makes for an interesting discussion, best kept for after tournament finals and with beer in the hands of all people speaking :D

That's all I'm saying.......

Hmmm, OK, here is my 2 cents worth.
Have NQ & SQ roll offs, This gives us the members to fill the 2 teams.
Is it still a requirement to bowl State titles to be on the team?
If so at state titles have a quick roll off(5 / lane for say 6 games) first 7 past the post First team, 2nd past = 2nd team?
If states not reqired then make it committe selection for the first team and the 2nd picks itself.
This makes it even representation for both zones, and can attend training at own zones.
It just depends on how good you preform in 5 man teams(at state title rolloffs) as to which team you are in, Qld or Invitational.
Happy to see contructives comments on this.

Craig

Ok after doing some research i can tell you that if we are going to rotate between Nth Qld and Sth Qld being the invitational side every year than i will tell you we will only be ONE QLD SIDE for 2008.

LET’S NOT SCREW THIS UP!!!!!!!!!!

The formation and makeup of the invitational teams is left entirely to the discretion of ADULT COMMITTIES and the Tenpin Bowling Association of Queensland Inc. and in accordance with the rules of the various events. However, TBA would obviously encourage a format that gave everyone in the state an equal opportunity to make the Qld TEAM firstly and then also the invite team.

One team needs to be a representative team from Queensland; TBA would like to see both Nth Qld & Sth Qld bowlers in this team.

This isn't just a name change for the sake of a name change, just to keep the ASC happy. They are not stupid. If we think by rotating the North and the South teams each year think again. Yes it’s unfortunate but if we try and fool them, the only people that will suffer will be us no one else. It’s obvious TBA wish and need to have an invitational team as part of the Rachuig event and Qld is the obvious place to draw this from. However, they could just as easily not invite New Zealand and the second team from Qld and go with 8 teams.3 rounds of 7 games per day just like the old days.

The invite is issued on an annual basis, it's not for ever,. If we do the right thing now we'll keep getting invited, just like they do with New Zealand.

It's a format change to have a state team from Qld present. On top of that both teams over the past 3 years have been competitive, wouldn't we want a team taken, that has best from each zone wanting to win Rachuig.

Especially since the men from QLD have never won this event in 44 years.

Andrew S. said:
Peter I doubt that very much. With the exception of Kay Harris the North are not even vaguely interested in attending AGMs any more.
You dont believe me?
The Board once made the mistake of actually holding the AGM up North one year. I think it was in Mackay.
Enough said?

Enough said? Obviously the committee members from SQ were not interested in travelling North for the AGM, or you would have had a quorum.

Or can any association member turn up and have speaking and voting rights at an AGM?

Jase said:
The formation and makeup of the invitational teams is left entirely to the discretion of ADULT COMMITTIES and the Tenpin Bowling Association of Queensland Inc. and in accordance with the rules of the various events. However, TBA would obviously encourage a format that gave everyone in the state an equal opportunity to make the Qld TEAM firstly and then also the invite team.
One team needs to be a representative team from Queensland; TBA would like to see both Nth Qld & Sth Qld bowlers in this team.

Which gets us back to the same two problems; where do we hold rolloffs, and why should QLD bowlers - and only QLD bowlers - get two shots at making a Rachuig team.

NQ came in as a separate geographical area. If that cannot be maintained, then it is - in my opinion - both pointless and unfair to the other states to have two teams.

Robbie.

Andrew S. said:
You dont believe me?
Enough said?

Andrew was this Agm in Mackay held this century?

Or are you grasping at straws to have yet another go at North Queensland.

I challenge you and the rest of TBAQ to schedule next years AGM in Mackay and lets see how many you get from South Queensland.

You guys complain about North Queenslanders winging, but all the cheap shots come out of SQ.

It would appear you only want suggestions from NQ if they suit SQ.

We are supposed to be about fostering and growing Tenpin bowling in queensland but this is going to put queensland bowling back to where it was five years ago

Rob

Back
Top Bottom