New Adult Committee for Qld.

Robbie Latte said:
You guys complain about North Queenslanders winging, but all the cheap shots come out of SQ.
It would appear you only want suggestions from NQ if they suit SQ.
Rob

Interesting comments Robbie,

Would you like to elaborate a little???

Jase said:
Ok after doing some research i can tell you that if we are going to rotate between Nth Qld and Sth Qld being the invitational side every year than i will tell you we will only be ONE QLD SIDE for 2008.
LET’S NOT SCREW THIS UP!!!!!!!!!!
The formation and makeup of the invitational teams is left entirely to the discretion of ADULT COMMITTIES and the Tenpin Bowling Association of Queensland Inc. and in accordance with the rules of the various events. However, TBA would obviously encourage a format that gave everyone in the state an equal opportunity to make the Qld TEAM firstly and then also the invite team.
One team needs to be a representative team from Queensland; TBA would like to see both Nth Qld & Sth Qld bowlers in this team.
This isn't just a name change for the sake of a name change, just to keep the ASC happy. They are not stupid. If we think by rotating the North and the South teams each year think again. Yes it’s unfortunate but if we try and fool them, the only people that will suffer will be us no one else. It’s obvious TBA wish and need to have an invitational team as part of the Rachuig event and Qld is the obvious place to draw this from. However, they could just as easily not invite New Zealand and the second team from Qld and go with 8 teams.3 rounds of 7 games per day just like the old days.
The invite is issued on an annual basis, it's not for ever,. If we do the right thing now we'll keep getting invited, just like they do with New Zealand.
It's a format change to have a state team from Qld present. On top of that both teams over the past 3 years have been competitive, wouldn't we want a team taken, that has best from each zone wanting to win Rachuig.
Especially since the men from QLD have never won this event in 44 years.

Peter Coburn has already stated in an email that New Zealand will be invited as long as they wish to come.

Interesting!!!

Rob

Jase said:
TBA would obviously encourage a format that gave everyone in the state an equal opportunity to make the Qld TEAM firstly AND THEN ALSO the invite team.
(Emphasis added)

This is the part I don't agree with so here is my proposal for comment.

Hold the QLD Rachuig team rolloffs in SQ. Anyone may enter, but the rolloffs and training sessions will be held in SQ. If someone from NQ wants to bowl for the official QLD team then that is their right, and best of luck to them. However, don't complain about travelling costs. :)

The invite is then extended to NQAC to form a team based in NQ. This team would be limited to queensland bowlers who did not roll off for the State team due to distance or other constraints. This team would be open to bowlers from SQ who did not roll off for QLD. The rolloffs and training sessions would be held entirely in NQ.

So you would have a Qld team open to all Qld bowlers, but based in SQ, and an invitational team, open to all Qld bowlers who did not or could not try out for the Qld team, basd in NQ.

Comments?

Robbie Latte said:
Peter Coburn has already stated in an email that New Zealand will be invited as long as they wish to come.
Interesting!!!
Rob

As they should be, even if it means a bye down the track. To grow tenpin bowling as a sport it means supporting and encouraging international competition wherever possible. Having the Kiwis in Rachuig is good for the sport in both countries, IMHO.

And it means the sheep get a week off, too.... just kidding:)

Hey Jase, what happened to my sig file?

Robbie Buckley.

Robbie Latte said:
Interesting!!!
Rob

Perhaps rather than the North Start pointing fingers at the South regarding changes, they should ask TBA themselves in an email or Phone call and find out some of the finer points regarding this. As it stands Peter Coburn will tell you exactly the same as what i have informed the bowlers of this site. I have taken the time to discuss this at length with Peter and unfair or not to other states, these are TBA guide lines. Shooting the messenger just seems to be easier hey guys.

All I see is North wanting to have a hot at South and vise versa.
Lets try something new and work TOGETHER!

Keep your hair on Jase..:D
My concern with the 'fairness' of the system is simply that if the system is not equitable with respect to the other States, they would be entirely within their rights to complain about it. Believe me, I want to see a separate NQ team continue as much as anyone else, and I think it's a good idea to come up with a system that keeps the other States onside as well as both NQ and SQ.
I have been in contact with Peter, and from what I understand it is up to TBAQ to work out how the two teams will be selected. Since Andrew Shinnie visits this site occasionally :) I am confident that any workable system put forward here will make it before the TBAQ. The more alternatives and suggestions are put forward, the more likely it is that the TBAQ willl come up with something everyone can live with.

Cheers, Robbie.

Robbie L that wasn't a cheap shot at NQ, just a statement of fact. The AGM in Mackay was under the Chairmanship of Nell Weir.
John Coxon (TBA Rules & Ethics) also took the trouble to fly up there and address the meeting.
As for Robbie B suggesting that the lack of quorum was due to not enough SQ representatives flying up, well that really seems to echo the attitude of North Queensland.
In other words lets leave it to someone else and whinge about it afterwards.

Andrew S. said:
Robbie L that wasn't a cheap shot at NQ, just a statement of fact. The AGM in Mackay was under the Chairmanship of Nell Weir.
John Coxon (TBA Rules & Ethics) also took the trouble to fly up there and address the meeting.
As for Robbie B suggesting that the lack of quorum was due to not enough SQ representatives flying up, well that really seems to echo the attitude of North Queensland.
In other words lets leave it to someone else and whinge about it afterwards.

Just for those that might not understand the size of North Queensland if the AGM was held in Mackay we have Budekin - 300kms,Townsville - 400kms,
Mt Isa - 1250kms, Innisfail - 650kms, Cairns - 750kms.

These are the distances NQ members have to travel to a NQ based Meeting

How far do the majority of SQ members have to travel to a Brisbane meeting

Rob

Andrew,
I was simply pointing out that it cuts both ways as far as the travelling goes. What is the requirement for a quorum, and who is the quorum made up of? Your inference is that nobody from NQ could be bothered to turn up even when the meeting was in NQ, so how many reps from NQ did attend, as opposed to SQ, and how many did you need? Again, as a bowler, can I attend a meeting, speak at a meeting, vote - what?

Robbie Buckley.

Maybe I'm looking at it from too simplistic a view point, but why not have an 18 game roll off at a centre in NQ, and then an 18 game roll off at a centre in SQ.

At the end of the two rolloffs the top 7 men and women on pinfall become the QLD Rachuig team. This way everyone travels, everyone bowls on the same lanes, there is no selection dramas and 36 games is ample opportunity to prove that you are deserving of a spot in the Rachuig team.

The invitational spot could then be given to the all stars from either Presidents shield/Youth to expose them to the Rachuig competition, with an eye on the future.

Life wasn't meant to be hard - people just make it that way!!!

Cheers

Steve Hunt:D

Hi Robbie B. - These days a quorum consists of double the number of Board members + one. I dont remember what it was at Mackay I was just a delegate in those days, I do remember it was changed following that meeting.
Regarding rights, anyone can attend, anyone can speak, but only delegates can vote. Meetings, although structured, are a lot less formal. Voting is not really as important as people believe. Most issues can generally be talked through - indeed its better that way - and also these days there is an open forum where anything can be brought up.
Sure there can be the occasional disagreement which could call for a vote but I cant recall anything super contraversial happening over the past 3 or 4 years.
I cant give you the attendance records much as I would really like to as the office records only go back to about the year 2000.
Kelly thinks a lot of paperwork was lost in the move to Sports House - it is really only since she has been there that a decent filing system has been put in place.

A good friend of mine mentioned I had been quiet on TB. I dont normally post unless I have something to say - this topic interests me - so here goes:

Just let me say that I dont doubt Jase has got his facts from the horses mouth (apologies to Peter Coburn for insinuating he is a horse). I have not know Jase post on something this serious and not have researched his facts.

My view on this is that this discussion looks as though it is drifting back to the old Nth vs Sth Qld argument we went through for years prior to the splitting of the 2 geographical areas. In my honest opinion it is an old argument and not a road we want to travel down again.

These are the facts as I see them:
1. Nth & Sth Qld have been re-combined and have been asked to submit 1 team to Rauchig.
2. TBAQ has been invited (and has accepted the invitation) to submit an second (not a team of seconds) or "invitational" team.

These facts are irrefutable.

The thinking of nth vs sth should be thrown out. We are all one state again and have to learn to live with it. Thats it !!!

The problem (as I see it) are mainly cost & geographical. What we have to do is work together & find a way to make things as equitable for everyone as is possible. How is that going to be done...I dont know...I haven't really given it much thought, and how do we decide upon 'both' teams...same answer......

In essence, we need to work together...not bicker about nth & sth like kids in a school yard. Lets get behind the committees, if you want to have a say, then go to a meeting (I know from a personal point of view sometimes thats not possible), send an email, send a letter, pick up the phone, or make a post here. But target it at the right people, and make constructive suggestions not destructive ones.

Well....thats about it from me........flame away please !!!! :rolleyes:

I agree with you Steve why cant one roll off be up north and one be down south, but others don't agree. To me it is the only way to make it fair on everyone as both north and south bowlers will have to travel to roll off.
And if it hasn't worked in the past well that was the past, we are now looking at the future so who knows, it might work now.
I think the aim here is to work together to come up with idea's on how we as a whole can make Queensland have the best Rachuig team.
All I know is flinging **** back and fourth at each other isnt going to help solve anything.
I personally see myself a Queenslander, not a south Queenslander.

I agree with Robbie B, after Jase's post showing we cannot have 2 rolloffs or we theoretically dont have an invitaional team. We therefore need one roll off and one Invitational team made up of bowlers Invited or selected to bowl. This should satisfy all criteria set by the ASC. It should work quite well as we have a large number of top class Tournament bowlers ALL over the state.
Just my 2 cents, Lacky.

I like the idea of a Roll of both North and South. You could have the Roll off a month apart early on in the year. Jan Feb or March. To limit some costs we could billet the people traveling both North and South. Good chances to actualy get to spend time with People who you may end up teaming with, either way it’s just a suggestion.

A 20 game roll off at a centre in NQ (10 Games each Day), and then a 20 game roll off at a centre in SQ (10 games each Day). Long, Short, Sports, or 3to1 patterns. One of each even it wouldn't realy matter. Then Take your top 7 on pinfall for your Queensland Teams.

As for the invitational side why cant we reward the people that travel to tournaments around Australia, choose the next 7 Queenslanders who ranked the highest on the rankings at the time the roll offs have finished.
Yes there is the old argument of they have bowled more tournaments but hey, if he of she is spending that sort of money through out the year an invitational jersey might be just the reward that person deserves. After all its an invitational side not a second string Qld team.

This way it’s open to all Queenslanders and fair on everyone who has to travel.

Off the subject a little, does anyone have a view on the actual age group for Rachuig and the fact that anyone is eligible over the age of 18????

Maybe we have to try a different approach. Here's my thoughts.
Queensland Ranked 7
Take 3 tournaments from NQ and 3 tournaments from SQ and the State Champs to form a rankings system where the top 7 available bowlers will be invited to represent QLD in the Qld Rachiug Team and while we have a second team , take the next 7 to form an Qld A (because all Rachiug experience for any bowlers is a valuable asset for Qld.)
(examples only)
To pick 2007 teams
Start with the K & K Classic (May)
Mackay Open (August)
State Champs (August)
North Qld Open ( Sept)
Suncity Open ( November)
Redcliffe Open ( December)
Caboolture Open (March)
I feel this is the way to get the best in form tournament players, that can bowl on a various lane conditions, a way to cover some costs by winning prize money along the way , to help boost tournaments in Qld , both fair for NQ & SQ , Team can be picked in March as usual, have fund raising raffles etc at each event to help rachuig expences.
Anyway just some thoughts to hang out there & hopefully a positive idea to continue this post.

My personal preference is a 20 game Roll-off in Townsville early March 2005.

10 games in each centre if the Lanes are available. The roll-off would be open to every registered bowler in Queensland. The top 7 or the top 5 (if it goes to 5+2) form the State Team.

Following this a 20 game roll-off in Brisbane maybe 2 or 3 weeks later. The Brisbane roll-off would only be open to SQ Bowlers, including those SQ bowlers who tried out in Townsville and did not make it. This roll-off decides the Regional Team.

The following year the process simply reverses, the first roll-off would be in Brisbane and the second in Townsville (or wherever the NQAC decides).

One lot of travelling only, and the TBA geographical requirements are met. Everyone gets a shot at the main event. The second or A team is a purely regional team as specified.

That looks pretty good to me Andrew, at least in general terms.

One point though:

Quote: "20 game Roll-off in Townsville early March 2005"

Come on, we're not THAT backward in NQ! :D

Back
Top Bottom