Nerves

Fitzy

Underpaid
How do bowlers out there cope with nerves??

My longest streak from the front is eight, however, I recently had a good day and found myself on the eighth frame and realising that I have just bowled my seventh strike. I then proceeded to line up my eight shot and suddenly felt as though my heart was trying to escape out of my throat and my knees were deciding they were going AWOL. Getting to the point, I was concentrating too much on staying up on my feet to worry about where I put the ball.
What should I have done? Sat down and waited for my nerves to subside?? Grab a quick bourbon?

Any Suggestions?

What do you do??

if im on a role i just try to relax and forget about the scores...

Same as what Jase Mate said try to forget and relax once you get to the pont of 8 in row a few times u should be very confident of doing it.
Chris

find its great when you are just talking with someone else in between frames or reading a book or anything just to take your mind off it... then when you get back on the approach switch on like you would any other ball... i bowl like poo whenever i just keep getting hung up over previous frames whether they be good or bad.

Mate... nerves isn't something that can be controlled easily but if u practice keeping relaxed in between frames (even in ordinary games) u'll start finding when you get to these situations u'll cope better. I normally stay relaxed, joke around a little and watch other ppl bowl while i'm waiting and only become completely focused once i'm at the approach. When u know you are striking, stop looking at the score, just follow whoever bowls before u, and if u do happen to see the score and say u realise u have the front 7, just tell urself, u've gotten 7 of those already, whats an extra one.... and if u are shaking and hearts racing... walk back and have some water and give urself half a minute or so :) i find stretching a little bit helps too
Hope u can get past that front 7 soon!!!
R

I tend to stare off into space with a completely deadpan expression on the dial, like I'm daydreaming.
Either that, or I'll do the exact opposite and chat and laugh to take my mind off it. Talk to myself a lot on the approach, talking myself through the shot I want to succeed on.
There's always going to be nerves to some sort of degree though.

i tend to listen to any music that i can hear or sing something
or sometimes just make my self relax hard to explain it but just like i am busting to go to toilet and just make it
try and make myself feel like that with out weeting myself on the lane
daniel

If I am on a run of strikes, i really dont worry about it to i get to 8, than every shot i just tell myself to put a pocket shot in there like the last. Give ureself a chance. Nerves is natural, once you mastered it, you wont look back. Hope this helps

I usually start doing the same thing over and over. From sitting in the same seat to puttin my puffball and towel in the spot. When waiting for my next shot I usually just have a blank expression on my face and stare at the same thing or I will be talking to other people...just depends on how I am feeling and whether the people around are worth talking to.

hey,
yeah ive only got the front 7 aswell but i found if you walk around the bowling centre on about the 5th and just think what you are going to do for the next shot and dont come back to the lane your on till its your turn and as ppl said above me just try not to look at the score. also relax and breathe.. this works for ME but as i said if only got the front 7.. good luck

one thing I've always been told is no matter what the score is, wether you have the front 2 or the front 11, just get up and bowl, don't think about it, just get up and throw the ball.

Doesn't usually work for me though, I suffer from nerves too, but when the time is right, I've been told it just goes away, and you can throw without getting nervous.

One of the most important things to do is to remember one thing....
To bowl a 300 game, you are not bowling 12 strikes in a row,
but you are bowling ONE strike, repeating it 12 times.
Everyone is capable of bowling ONE strike!
This relates to any number of strikes in a row, first eight included.
Treat every ball as if it is the First Ball of the First Frame. Nothing is different.
The only thing - in the 7th, 8th or 9th frame etc is that you already have your line! What have you got to lose?
Work through your "routine", and get up there thinking it's the first ball. View the pins, focus on your target, and tell yourself this is going to be a strike.
I hope this helps.
Griffo

Fitzy, congratualions on shooting 7 in a row, that's a great effort. What was your final score?

I have just returned from bowling tonight and had a similar situation. I had nine in a row with one more frame to go...

I generally try to stick to the same routine, whether I have 9 in a row or none:

- Wipe the oil off my ball
- Dry my hand
- Stand on the approach
- Fingers in the ball
- Deep breath... and off you go.

When I'm bowling well, the only thing I think of is; bend the knee and follow through.

Don't rush. If you are not ready, stand back for a couple of seconds until you are ready.

As you have read, many people have different ways to deal with pressure, you just have to find out what works best for you.

Good luck.

I just do whatever I feel like at the time. If that's mucking around talking, I'll continue to do that. If I'm not talking, I won't. I just try to keep everything consistant, but I don't have a "plan" that I specifically follow.

You have to find what works for you, as everyone is different.

And no matter what, some luck has to come into it at some point. I had the front 6 twice on Friday night and then smashed the pocket to leave a wobbling 10pin in the 7th, then went two more and left a 4pin from a high pocket (the 10 was the unlucky one.. which left me short of 1000 again with a 967), so just keep doing the things you normally do, and in time it gets easier to handle.

Best of luck.

Easy Tiger said:
I just do whatever I feel like at the time. If that's mucking around talking, I'll continue to do that. If I'm not talking, I won't. I just try to keep everything consistant, but I don't have a "plan" that I specifically follow.

Yeh i do the same if i'm on a roll i keep doing the same thing.
but yeh some people have a rountine even a few but it calms me down when i'm doing the same thing everytime. well done on the 7 in a row.
chris

Thank you for all your suggestions! I managed the 7 in a row again last Friday! I took note of some of the advice on here, it helped, I did not feel as nervous, my legs did not feel weak! I put a beautiful pocket shot in and standing 9 pin! :-D Oh Well! Next time!!
Stroker said:
Fitzy, congratualions on shooting 7 in a row, that's a great effort. What was your final score?
265 that time - 254 last friday!
Got to learn to finish! someday!! ;-)

Don't take any notice of my advice I gave before - I shot the front 9 on Monday night and opened the 10th again for 266. I can't even take my own advice..

Well done on shooting 7 in a row again.

HI there

Nerves are just a physical response to what you are thinking - most of you have outlined the answer - easy. Whatever you are thinking is what will happen. Train yourselves to understanding the process of how you perform well - some of you will be successful thinking of only one or two things in the present moment that you know are working for you others will need to shut off between shots and look for distractions because the longer they dwell on something the worse the result or impact of their thoughts. Others will just be the rhythm bowlers and will just move to the groove of the previous shot. The secret is knowing what type of response you will deliver when it is crunch time. Keep all thoughts positive - do not over analyse - know what is working and just keep doing it.

Best wishes
Gail Torrens

The more times you do it the less nervous you get. I use to get nervous when I am close to a 200 game, but since I bowled 200 so many times now I do not get nervous anymore...

So, continue getting 7 in a row, you got 2 already so a few more and you will stop worrying about it... you will get nervous with 8 in a row instead. :D

Back
Top Bottom