Need starting help...

A

Alcor

Hi,

I'm new here and new to the sport, sort of.

I bowled for school sport quite a bit, as well as the normal friends and family bowling outings.

I guess I can't really say that I have a style. I bowl straight. I try to always bowl the same way, i.e. always start from the same spot and do the same thing, but it is not very technical. I've never taken a lesson or even had anyone show me what to do. I average around 120, for example the other night, 117, 132, 109. Top score ever 170 (I think the only time I saw a Four Bagger). I've had some problems with my right wrist, I'm right handed, so even though I'm a guy, I feel most comfortable with a 10-11lb ball, any heavier and I start to feel the strain.

I'd like to get a little better. My first big gripe is the ball. Basically the 10-11lb house balls never have big enough holes for my fingers, so I end up bowling with a heavier ball than I would like. I want my own ball! Then I guess I should get some bowling lessons and try to develop a technique. Finally, if I show any aptitude, then maybe join a league...

Here are my questions:

How would I go about obtaining an inexpensive ball to start off with? I'm a student and have very little money, so even a second hand ball would do. What would be a good beginners ball? How much would it cost? How much does it cost to have the holes drilled? I saw some second hand balls with the holes plugged, what's the deal with those?

How would I go about finding a coach (Sydney)? How much should I expect to pay for coaching?

Finally, what's a decent average for someone that's more an amateur than a pro?

Sorry about the barrage of questions.

Thanks.

hey alcor, gld you picked a great sport , you have a great time with this bunch

ok as far as weight for balls, youll find that a ball drilled for you will feel lighter than a light ball thats not.

Depending onyour age, id go 12lb if your under 14, but otherwise give a 14 a go

2nd hand balls are just perfect, if you go to the classifieds section,youll find something good there, the balls you saw with plugged holes, you need to get those pluggedso the ball can be drilled for your hand,

Your local centre should have a variety of coaches

as far as averages go,

Most people start around the 120-140 mark
i was 120 when i started

Intermediates range from 150- 170

then when you get your game together 180-200

and when everythings figures out

200+

Any other questions just post em up

Cya
Shaz

shannon u should think of becoming a coach, 2nd hand balls r fine to use, i just bought 1 not so long ago and works fine, if u wanna start hooking the ball soon, try to get a 2nd hand power groove reactive, if not they cost about $170 new, the grooves r an awesome ball to use, i still have mine, and use it, hardly any hook when i started off using it. i dont know of any coachs in sydney, but when i use to bowl, i bowled at newcastle super strike, roy i dont know his last name, he helped me alot, hope it helps and makes sence lol

Laterz brett

Hi

I have been bowling for 2 months and I found the house balls left a lot to be disered.

I picked up a ball on ebay cheep and found using the same ball helped my scores.

I am also using a 12 pound ball as it was most comfitable (But I have a damaged right sholder and left knee) I am working on strengthing them both and work my way up to a larger ball.

Coaching and drilling at my local center was Free as this will encourage you to play more and therefor spend more there.

I am in a league were you pay $3-4 extra per week and get ball bag and shoes at the end.

Good luck and happy bowling

Phil

Back
Top Bottom