Names from the past, where are they now?

ok I know he was only like a junior/youth bowler, but what ever happened to chirs warner(I think his name was, he was nnswc) last bowled shield a few yrs back with belmo and jez, apparently he was like a prodigy at the game. only what I heard, but does anyone know what happened to him?

Here's some names from my days as a junior that were top names at the time.

David Brooker: Played for NSW in President Shield, won an Australian Junior Masters or two in there from memory, shot a few 300's, won a few tournaments, looked like he could of been a long term prospect - disappeared from sight.

Matthew Burtt: Played for Tassie in President Shield, was an Australian team member or something, won lots of tournaments, shot a few 300's. Went to America and played in College bowling over there for awhile and did quite well, got homesick and came home - moved to Melbourne, and wasn't ever really heard of again after 1996/97.

Joel Wilson: Big lefty from Tasmania, represented the State in both President Shield and Rachuig, a good performer in tournaments on the mainland there for awhile, won a junior SPC in 1989 (I think it was). Had stuck at it, he could have been anything - got sick of the politics and crap that goes on in the game (especially down here) and gave it away in the early nineties. Made an all too brief comeback in 94/95 - the fire was gone, retired again. Saw him recently inspecting a building site in Hobart's city centre - twice as big as he was in his bowling days. :)

Leo Di Benedetto: NSW Central captain in President Shield, a very good performer in tournaments, had a dandy little shot too.
Ended up on the PBA tour for awhile in the 90's after he left Australia, I think cashed in a PBA event while he was there too.

AJ Foxford: Came from up Newcastle way. Short, chubby fella with glasses, won an Australian Junior Masters in 1991. Played for Northern NSW for a few years there, did well on the junior circuit at the time, not much was heard of, of AJ after leaving juniors.

Brad Hampson: Was a good player at Junior level at the time, played Shield for one of the NSW sides for quite a few years there. Knocked me out of the '92 Australian Junior Masters with two gutshots and a wall shot from memory in the tenth :lol: and eventually went on to make the final against Brooker (which Brooker won). Not really heard of again after the early nineties.

Tiger, David Brooker is the Head Mechanic at Gosford Bowl, he's been there about 2 years.
A J Foxford has'nt bowled for years, I think he is more involved in golf, he was coaching bowling until last year, as was his father.
willey.

milton said:
Was wondering if anyone knows what ever happened to Jason Doust?
According to Doug Bear (SPC Lane conditions post), Jason Doust is living the good life up in the Blue Mountains and is happily married. Hasn't bowled for a few years now.

Willy, thanks for the info there - I always wondered what happened to some of them.

Tiger, the thread is starting to disappear, we need some more name from the past, how about these women from the 80's to 90's
Christine Patrick won the first Trish Datson at Liverpool
Doreen Dockerty
Blanka Paushman
Bev Freestone
Trudi Gould ( De Kaiser)
How time flies it was'nt that long ago these were the star bowlers around Sydney and beyond.
willey.

dockers in brisbane

saw bev freestone was managing n.s.w seniors team

heres a few more

shane woods
david frost
bruce peel (i know someone has probably already mentioned him)
silvano prez
rod baylis
brian hamer
del da re
lavina pietens
louise wallace
bruce kennedy
phil brook
alan burge

I second the motion for what happened to Chris Warner, he was damn good in his time. Also, what happened to Michael Frazi?

chris warner and michael frazi bowl on thursday nights in a team with mat branson..

Udo Dusek passed away in the early 80's. Worked with Udo for a short time, he was a REAL Gentleman.

Ruth Guerster has retired from the Bowling scene. Ruth was a good friend, but I haven't been in contact in recent times. I'll try to catch up and post any news of interest to the bowling community.

Mark Malloy is still bowling Amflite at Moorabbin.

Frank Ryan has moved to the country, somewhere between Geelong and Ballarat I believe. Don't know if he is bowling.

Phil Brook had back problems a few years ago and had to give Bowling away.

Sumo

griggsy said:
ok I know he was only like a junior/youth bowler, but what ever happened to chirs warner(I think his name was, he was nnswc) last bowled shield a few yrs back with belmo and jez, apparently he was like a prodigy at the game. only what I heard, but does anyone know what happened to him?

Mate, Chris Warner was a natural....wished he still bowled on a more regualr basis....He could almost anything with the ball, made wet lanes always look dry and made dry lanes always look wet :)
He is the kind of player that even if he hasnt touched a ball in a year, his first 3 games back will alway be over 700.
Warner decided to pusue a career in music (DJ) rather than bowl...and from he tells me, he is making a few bucks and having fun. but you never know we might see him playing nationally again :)

Frazi....will be seeing that guy today actually...he still bowls about as much as Warner, wished to god he stayed.... when on could throw more strikes than anyone in the country!!!!!!!! Just make sure you can get him deep and its Goodnight Irine.
Probably had the BEST thumb blow out in history at Pressy Sheild in 2000....still averaged 240 for his 8 games (with the bloodiest and sorest thumb i have ever seen) but didnt have enough to games to make ALL STARS
Mick is now a game fisherman and part time footy tipping champ :)

Belmo

Good to see Matt Bransons name again, which reminds me of of the SA shield 'Dream Team' of a few years back

Paul Longayroux
Peter Readett
Craig Solotuchin
Matt Branson
Matt Draper
Jason Mooney plus one other whose name escapes me, pity we dont hear much of these guys anymore(especially Longy)

i had the luxury of them guys killing it, at my place, in presidents shield in 98

what a team, you could tell before they got going, that they were going to win, they just looked the part and were simply explosive on the lanes

longy could have gone anywhere, and hopefully still will

Craig, you mentioned Bruce Peel, the last time I seen him was at Steve Mackie's farewell dinner, when Steve left for the USA, this was the end of 1990, Bruce was still bowling a bit at Southgate from what I recall.
Also at that dinner was Bob Cook, no one has mentioned him in this thread, after the demise of the Strikeout magazine, I have'nt heard of him, is he still alive? does he still bowl?
willey.

Willy.........saw Bob Cook in January this year at the TBAL AWARDS in Sydney he was inducted into the HALL OF FAME along with Ian Bradford.

Guess Who, there's no need to SHOUT, I can read you. Thanks I thought he might still be alive as I pretty sure I would have heard about it if he was'nt.

O/K, I will have a guess, Bronwyn, is that you?

willey.

Sumo said:
Frank Ryan has moved to the country, somewhere between Geelong and Ballarat I believe. Don't know if he is bowling.

He has moved to Greendale (not far from Pykes Creek)... He is set to get married this weekend!! From what i know he doesn't bowl anymore :?

Cheers,
Craig

P.S Whatever happened to Craig Bourke?? i remember he was around the scene a few years back, not sure what has happened to him...

Back
Top Bottom